Sign in with
Your question

New computer running HORRIBLE

Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2013 3:41:43 AM

So I just finished building my new computer, and for the first day it ran great. 400+fps on most games, everything was super fast and I was very happy. Now, this is my first build in a LONG time, and for the sake of argument, I'm a complete noob. So one day I decide to try starcraft 2 on ultra. Again, everything was fine and the all of a sudden everything starting chugging...HARD. Frame rate dropped to 30-50, things got super blocky etc. Ever since then its gone downhill. Takes 3+min to shutdown, all games run like ***, random freezes etc. All drivers and BIOS are updated (as far as I know)...and that's really as far as my knowledge on how to make this thing work the way it should goes. My specs are:

i5 3570k CPU
EVGA GTX680 GPU
4 sticks 4g G.Skill sniper RAM
ASRock z77 OC Formula mobo
1050W 80+gold Cooler Master Power Supply

As far as I can tell this thing should be able to tear apart anything I throw at it, so I'm at a loss. Any and all information will be put to good use! Thanks in advance!
January 28, 2013 3:48:28 AM

try reseating all your components. Some time strange things can happen with a new build. Just to confirm... you haven't messed around with the bios, installed new programs inc updates or, overclocked anything have you? If so retrace your steps. Let us know of your progress, good luck!
m
l
January 28, 2013 4:11:24 AM

I've updated everything actually. Ran windows update until there were no more updates, updated drivers, and as for the bios, the only thing i did was update the bios. And overclocking, no...not yet. Reseating the components, what would this do exactly?
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2013 4:32:01 AM

anon002 said:
I've updated everything actually. Ran windows update until there were no more updates, updated drivers, and as for the bios, the only thing i did was update the bios. And overclocking, no...not yet. Reseating the components, what would this do exactly?

It's possible that your CPU or a stick of ram isn't seated just right. This may be causing your symptoms not a guarantee though. Your bios update may also be the culprit. You shouldn't update the bios unless you are having issues. but if these issues were going on before the bios flash then its safe to say you have a software issue if your components are verified working properly.
m
l
January 28, 2013 4:47:03 AM

0nRay said:
It's possible that your CPU or a stick of ram isn't seated just right. This may be causing your symptoms not a guarantee though. Your bios update may also be the culprit. You shouldn't update the bios unless you are having issues. but if these issues were going on before the bios flash then its safe to say you have a software issue if your components are verified working properly.

SO....this is a little embarrassing, but I figured it out! I reseated everything, checked over all the parts etc, and all is well. So i decide to go into device manager, and look under video...there are 2. One of the updates I did must have installed an intell 4400HD graphics thing. Disabled it and all is well! Thank you SO much for your help!
m
l
January 28, 2013 5:03:26 AM

It's possible that the BIOS update switched your default GPU from PCIe to on-board. Not sure why it would do that, but hey, stranger things have happened.

This is one for the archives, methinks.
m
l
January 28, 2013 5:06:37 AM

If all is ok before the bios update and it only happen after u update it, then try to downgrade the bios. it solves most of the time.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2013 5:12:14 AM

it depends on the mb vendor and how they set up primany video. some bios have the ipgpu as the first device and have muilt monitor disabled. some mb vendors have muilt monitor turned on. also make sure you dont have the virtu mvp software installed. if you did it try and bond both the ipgpu and the slower intel ipgupo together.
m
l
January 28, 2013 3:41:26 PM

Hey everyone, thank you so much for your input on this! This is why I love tomshardware. The problems started before I updated the BIOS, only reason I did. As for Virtu MVP...I do have it on here, why do I want to get rid of it? When I booted this morning it gave some error about running off the wrong GPU and to enable when the the problem is fixed.
m
l
January 28, 2013 6:00:10 PM

anon002 said:
SO....this is a little embarrassing, but I figured it out! I reseated everything, checked over all the parts etc, and all is well. So i decide to go into device manager, and look under video...there are 2. One of the updates I did must have installed an intell 4400HD graphics thing. Disabled it and all is well! Thank you SO much for your help!

Glad to help!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2013 7:39:14 PM

the mvp software tries to bond slower gpu and the onboard intel chipsets together to get higher frame rates. the software and chipset is very buggy and crashes some games. i have it on my pc and turned it off. with a high end gpu like yours your better off using it and not the onboard gpu.
m
l
!