Put together my build the other day, Doesn't recognize GFX card

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Ok, so, what the heck. I recently put together my personal rig, i7 3770k, 16gb ram, gtx 670, corsair C70, 750b hdd, asrock extreme4 1155, and corsair CX750M. UHHHHHHHHHHHH WUT. First I installed linux. now I have windows 7 pro 64bit installed on it. and it doesn't recognize my graphics card? I haven't played any games on it yet so I didn't notice, but i'll be playing borderlands 2 tomorrow so I'd like to get this installed. sorry if i'm being a huge noob here, but, does anything OTHER than 2 6pin power connectors need to be hooked up? and if not any particular power connectors? I just installed the first 6 pins i could find that would fit into my 670 and my cx750m (modular). I am 90% sure they say "PCI-E" on the side, and they are actually 6+2 pins, i just zip tied the 2pins back. I've already got all the spare wires tucked away in a drawer, would be really sad if i had to go rummage through them again. Anyway, when I use some standard routes to look for what gfx card i have installed, it just says like standarc AVC adapter; nvidia or something of the sorts. anyway to see like exact make and model and brand? like in bios? oh and btw, very proud of my 3770k, pulled off a super stable 4.2ghz overclock @stock voltage with the OEM cooler. idling at about 35C and haven't seen it above 40c (haven't done gaming yet though, but when I do i'll def turn it down to stock/4.0ghz) any help? have a just fucked up royally with the power connectors or is something wrong? also I haven't installed any drivers yet as I don't have internet, so everythings still running in like 1080x720 on my 23.6" monitor ;c

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
What it says under computer>system properties>device manager>display adapters>Standard VGA Graphics Adapter>General info on that is:

Device type: Display Adapters
Manufacturer: (on linux this said nVidia corp or something) (Standard Display Types)

Device status:
This device is working properly

it does say there is drivers for it from microsoft...

All the info from just computer>system properties;

1.0 WEI
Processor: calculations per second; 7.7 (i7 3770k)
Memory (RAM): memory operations per second: 7.7 (g skill sniper 16gb)
Graphics: 1.0
Gaming Graphics: 1.0
Primamry hard disk; 5.9

why are graphics so low? o-o I HAVE A 400$ GRAPHICS CARD IN THERE IT BETTER RATE ABOVE 7 XD
64bit operating system.wut du i du guise.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

yes, the monitor is connected to the gpu. I'll check the gpu fans in a sec. read below info. i looked into it summore and it doesn't even support DX8. should even the integrated graphics on my CPU support DX11/9?

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Update: the fans do spin when I boot up. just to verify: NOTHING but power connectors needs to be hooked to the gpu? (and ofc to the mobo). also the gfx card is installed on the very top slot of my mobo (asrock z77 extreme4)

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
How do you find out if i;m booting into safemode? IK WEI is retarded, but it should be >1.0 for a 670. and no, neither the word nvidia, gtx, geforce, or the number 670 shows up ANYWHERE. in linux it said like standard vga raphcis adapter manufactured by nvidia or something. that ran in a higher resolution, but still not 1920x1080

EDIT: oops im a noob. just spammed F8 while booting and chose start windows normally. lets see what happens
nope. res is still low, as is wei. :/

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Well, you see.... xD I don't have internet on that comp. on my old laptop atm. Can i put the drivers on a flash drive and transfer them over? it says it doesn't even support DX8 so i wont even be able to launch any games.

another question (pardon the french): why the *** has Intel HD Graphics 4000 or whatever came with my 3770k not kicked in yet? wth?

oh, also, as much as I hate to admit it, my OS is pirated. I just dld some crack off of some website and made it on a bootable usb using CMD. would that have any effect on it? I did notice that here theres no way to change the color of my task bar, which was kinda funky.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
atm its like 1080x720. my monitor is 23.6', 60hz, 2ms, and 1920x1080. I cant turn up the res any higher. it was default at 800x600. no joke.

edit; ok gimme a minute to get drivers installed on that bad boy.

connect the monitor to the graphics card

install the drivers via the usp stick

if that doesnt work the zombie apocalypse is tomorrow anyway so stop worrying

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Okay give me like a minute or two. I'm tellin you I have NOTHING installed on that comp and no games on it. almost all the games i have are on steam, other than minecraft and blacklight retribution, both of which require internet. so ill just try upping the resolution and checking directx version when i get them installed

first off make sure your mb has bios 2.70 there a lot of bios fixes for your mb. new z77 mb have the ipgpu set up as the main video output unless you swap it to pci-e. most people make sure under primany output device they also enable muilt monitor support so that both the onboard and gpu can be on at the same time to fix issue. on new windows build you have to install intel chipset drivers first then reboot. on reboot windows then will see a standard vga video card you then have to install the newest nvidia drivers from nvidia. also make sure the video card in the video slot near the cpu and that the 8 pin power plug on the outside edge (black) pci power is connected.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
BAD A55 dudes! thanks a mil, looks like it's working.... for now. cx I plugged it in, ran the application for the drivers, took about a minute, rebooted in about 30 seconds, and bam. 1920x1080. Lovely lovely! LCD>Everything. looks great :) I'll update if anything goes wrong. atm WEI is "refreshing" (once again IK wei sucks but its all i got atm)

and as i type this, BAM. Gaming graphics, graphics: 7.9. Baller.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
aren't the drivers on the motherboard CD outdated? shouldn't I download all the new ones? :/if so how do?

edit; also, now with the drivers, it lets me change taskbar color and stuff.
EDIT: woah! just reealized, had icons on small. those things were <1/2 an inch long @ 1920x1080. WOAH. XD