Closed Solved

I need to get a graphics card, but I'm lost.

I recently got a game and the FPS is terrible, I've known for a while that integrated graphics wouldn't let me play many games, and now is the time to actually get one.
The game I got is Metro 2033

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1065T Processor 2.90 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Windows 7, 64-Bit

Any other info you'll have to tell me how to find it, that's all I know how to get.

Thanks in advance!
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card lost
  1. Budget. Motherboard. Brand preference. PSU brand, name, model and wattage. Low profile or normal sized GPU?
  2. WARNING!
    metro is a brutal game on any graphics card.

you are looking at getting a 7870, GTX 670 or 7950.
  3. MajinCry said:
    Budget. Motherboard. Brand preference. PSU brand, name, model and wattage. Low profile or normal sized GPU?

Budget is 200$
    Don't know how to check motherboard.
    I don't really have a preference.
    Don't know how to check those 4.
    I'm not sure what that means.

I'm sorry, please be patient with me and my lack of knowledge.
  4. Also what display resolution will you be using with Metro 2033 and what is the brand and model of your power supply unit?
  5. ko888 said:
    Also what display resolution will you be using with Metro 2033 and what is the brand and model of your power supply unit?

1024 x 768 is the resolution.
    I am not quiet sure how to check the power supply.
  6. Marrionette said:
    1024 x 768 is the resolution.
    I am not quiet sure how to check the power supply.

A Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition is in your budget range.

At a display resolution of 1024 x 768 your Metro 2033 frame rate should be above 45 FPS.

For a system using a single reference clocked Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Open up your computer case and look at the label affixed to the power supply unit to determine its brand and model number then come back here and post the info.
  7. 7850 will be plenty for any game at 720p.
  8. A Geforce GTX 660 at $200 is perfect for your budget.
  9. ko888 said:
    A Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition is in your budget range.

At a display resolution of 1024 x 768 your Metro 2033 frame rate should be above 45 FPS.

For a system using a single reference clocked Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Open up your computer case and look at the label affixed to the power supply unit to determine its brand and model number then come back here and post the info.

It's and AcBel, Model PC9045
  10. mohit9206 said:
    7850 will be plenty for any game at 720p.

Except, of course, Metro 2033.
  11. Right click my computer click properties then device manager.to get info about u r system.
  12. Marrionette said:
    It's and AcBel, Model PC9045

Your AcBel PC9045 330W Power Supply only has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 18 Amps and doesn't have any PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

You will need to buy a new power supply unit if you're going to be buying a graphics card that you can play Metro 2033 on.
  13. ko888 said:
    Your AcBel PC9045 330W Power Supply only has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 18 Amps and doesn't have any PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

You will need to buy a new power supply unit if you're going to be buying a graphics card that you can play Metro 2033 on.

I see, any that you would recommend?
  14. Best answer
    Marrionette said:
    I see, any that you would recommend?

The Corsair Builder Series CX500 (CP-9020047-NA), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870.

from Newegg.com
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply for $59.99 ($39.99 after $20.00 rebate card if purchased between December 12, 2012 and December 18, 2012)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
  15. Best answer selected by Marrionette.
  16. Thank you for your help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Graphics Product