Sign in with
Your question

What kind of cooling would be enough for new rig?

Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2013 5:05:11 AM

So here are the specs:

Chassis: nzvt phantom 410 mid tower
CPU: Intel 3770 (not k)
Mobo: Asus Maximus V formula
Ram: 16gb Corsair vengeance 1866mhz (2x8)
GPU: MSI 660ti PE
Hard drive: 2tb barracuda + 120gb corsair neutron gtx ssd
CDROM, wifi card, etc.

I intend to upgrade in the near future, as funds allow, to things such as an additional 660ti,and I'm even thinking about perhaps a 3930k. But, I'm concerned because while all these parts are ordered and in the way, I haven't considered any cooling options. What would be the most efficient way to cool this rig? I'd prefer not to use water. I've had bad experiences in the past, but would the stock CPU, gpu coolers be enough? Without any overclocking that is. Thank you!

More about : kind cooling rig

January 28, 2013 5:18:36 AM

Well since you went with a non K. I don't think you plan to overclock..but if you intend to get a 3930"K" down the line your gonnna need a beast cooler to cool your stuff. for the i7 you have now i suggest maybe a hyper 212+ or Phanteks Ph12 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

As for your GPU. the stock heatsink will be plenty enough. If your gaming.. then know that Graphics is what you always should dump your upgrade money into.. graphics cards are what run the game.. the I7 you ordered will be plenty enough for the next 2 years most likely
January 28, 2013 5:23:00 AM

Awesome thanks for the info! Ya I'm aware about the non k CPUs, but I got this one for nearly free, so I figured I'd get started with it and upgrade it soon when more pay checks come in. :)  Thanks again, quick reply!
January 28, 2013 2:24:04 PM

Yea by the way. When you get your 3930K.. you going to need a new board because 3930K is Socket 2011. the 3770 is 1155
!