7870?

In the a couple weeks, I'm pretty sure I am going to upgrade my gpu from a 6870 to something better. I was thinking about a 7870 just because it seems like a good sweet spot when it comes to performance for the money, but I want to weigh my options. I was also looking at maybe a 7950, but it seems like that card is only incrementally better for $70+ more. Also, I'm not really looking into nvidia just because it seems like the amd cards are better at my price point of around $250, but let me know if they're close and what nvidia card is in my price range.

Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about 7870
  1. jthill909 said:
    In the a couple weeks, I'm pretty sure I am going to upgrade my gpu from a 6870 to something better. I was thinking about a 7870 just because it seems like a good sweet spot when it comes to performance for the money, but I want to weigh my options. I was also looking at maybe a 7950, but it seems like that card is only incrementally better for $70+ more. Also, I'm not really looking into nvidia just because it seems like the amd cards are better at my price point of around $250, but let me know if they're close and what nvidia card is in my price range.

Thanks

I'd go with the 7870. It can be overclocked to the level of a 7950, so you don't even need to spend the extra money! Although, the 7950 can be overclocked, as well, but I'd just save the cash unless you want to go up to a 7970. Also, the 7870 actually replaces the 6970, so you should see a sizable performance increase from your 6870.
  2. I moved up from a 6870 to a 7870 and saw a large performance boost in all the games my 6870 struggled with. Having the extra gigabyte of video memory also really helps in certain games. As for the 7950, that depends on if you want to spend more money now so you don't have to upgrade quite as soon later. The 7950 will likely hold its own longer on future titles than the 7870, especially if you overclock it, but once you get past the 7870 you do hit diminishing returns when it comes to price vs. performance gained. It's up to you whether it's worth spending some more money now so you can delay upgrading your graphics card for six months to a year or so later on.
  3. wolfkraut said:
    I'd go with the 7870. It can be overclocked to the level of a 7950, so you don't even need to spend the extra money! Although, the 7950 can be overclocked, as well, but I'd just save the cash unless you want to go up to a 7970. Also, the 7870 actually replaces the 6970, so you should see a sizable performance increase from your 6870.

Okay, thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 7870, just wanted a little help in deciding. I think I'm going to get this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11199-00-20G/dp/B007JCNOPU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355371717&sr=8-4&keywords=7870+
  4. Supernova1138 said:
    I moved up from a 6870 to a 7870 and saw a large performance boost in all the games my 6870 struggled with. Having the extra gigabyte of video memory also really helps in certain games. As for the 7950, that depends on if you want to spend more money now so you don't have to upgrade quite as soon later. The 7950 will likely hold its own longer on future titles than the 7870, especially if you overclock it, but once you get past the 7870 you do hit diminishing returns when it comes to price vs. performance gained. It's up to you whether it's worth spending some more money now so you can delay upgrading your graphics card for six months to a year or so later on.

Yea, I was thinking that it really wasn't worth the extra money when going past the 7870. I'm not exactly looking to future-proof, I'm just looking for a performance boost over my 6870. I actually have only had the 6870 for around a month, but I'm still wanting better performance and I have to go single card because of my cheap mobo only having one pci 2.0 slot. I got the 6870 for pretty cheap and I'm sure I can easily make my money back on it.
  5. what about the 660 its a very good card performs exactly as a 7870 when using the latest driver and maybe u could find it cheaper than the 7870 !
  6. As much as I love Sapphire (My fave card makers), MSI cannot simply be beat in the 7870 department. This is cheaper, faster and has a better cooler.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-R7870-HAWK/dp/B00883VAUK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355388419&sr=1-1&keywords=7870+Hawk

The Sapphire card that you picked is clocked at 1 GHZ, while the Hawk is clocked at 1.1 GHZ.
  7. I would just got with a 7870
  8. I would wait for next gen Cards.

But as you want to upgrade now you can for for 7870 or GTX 660.
  9. +1 to Sandouby and Sumukh about the GTX660, and an additional +1 to Sumuhk about waiting :-) New cards are close now! If you really can't wait though, you should take into consideration that the GTX660 will give much smoother, more consistent framerate delivery.

http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited/3

It's well worth reading the article to the end. It's a new way of testing performance, to more accurately represent the 'smoothness' delivered by a card. Frames/second is a crude, oversimplified measure of performance that doesn't tell the whole story. We'll be seeing a lot more frame latency benchmarking moving forward.

The AMD fanboys were in uproar (over 200 comments on the article) about how testing on Windows 8 was to blame. So they re-ran the tests on Windows 7:

http://techreport.com/review/24022/does-the-radeon-hd-7950-stumble-in-windows-8/2 (first page is useful to understand the test methodology, benches start on page 2)

The conclusion:
    "A moral victory in the borderline-meaningless FPS sweeps doesn't overcome the fact that the Radeon HD 7950 has a persistent problem with high-latency frames across a range of test scenarios based on the latest games... If you just want bragging rights, by all means, choose the Radeon HD 7950. If you're looking for the friction-free fluidity that only comes from consistently quick frame delivery, though, our recommendation remains the GeForce GTX 660 Ti."

I know these are a notch up from what you're looking at (and honestly neither represent good value compared to the GTX660), but the frame latency problems it highlights are still applicable here - the GPUs they're looking at are architecturally very similar to these GPUs and will exhibit the same behaviour.
  10. bc5 said:

It's well worth reading the article to the end. It's a new way of testing performance, to more accurately represent the 'smoothness' delivered by a card. Frames/second is a crude, oversimplified measure of performance that doesn't tell the whole story. We'll be seeing a lot more frame latency benchmarking moving forward.

+1
    FPS is not the right way always.

My friend has a 6870 with fx 6100. His fps on Ultra 1080p is always avg.25 in all games. (BF3, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman 5 etc)
    But the smoothness of his Card is lovely :love: .
    Really, you'll not be able to say that he has 6870. You'll think he has 7870.

So, leave fps there are more ways to see the Cards. ;)
  11. +1 to Sumukh :-) It's really a revelation in performance testing - I think a lot of people don't realise what a big deal it is. We'll see a lot more frame latency benchmarking in the future. Funny thing is, people were talking about the flaws of frames/second benchmarking over a decade ago in the times of nVidia TNT2! Frames/second testing is just quicker and less time-consuming for these sites, and they're always in a race to be the first with benchmarks on new hardware. Tech Report has set an excellent precedent though by taking the time to test performance properly.
  12. bc5 said:
    +1 to Sandouby and Sumukh about the GTX660, and an additional +1 to Sumuhk about waiting :-) New cards are close now! If you really can't wait though, you should take into consideration that the GTX660 will give much smoother, more consistent framerate delivery.

http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited/3

The AMD fanboys were in uproar (over 200 comments on the article) about how testing on Windows 8 was to blame. So they re-ran the tests on Windows 7:

http://techreport.com/review/24022/does-the-radeon-hd-7950-stumble-in-windows-8/2 (first page is useful to understand the test methodology, benches start on page 2)

The conclusion:
    "A moral victory in the borderline-meaningless FPS sweeps doesn't overcome the fact that the Radeon HD 7950 has a persistent problem with high-latency frames across a range of test scenarios based on the latest games... If you just want bragging rights, by all means, choose the Radeon HD 7950. If you're looking for the friction-free fluidity that only comes from consistently quick frame delivery, though, our recommendation remains the GeForce GTX 660 Ti."

I know these are a notch up from what you're looking at (and honestly neither represent good value compared to the GTX660), but the frame latency problems it highlights are still applicable here - the GPUs they're looking at are architecturally very similar to these GPUs and will exhibit the same behaviour.

Thanks for posting these articles. I am still learning a lot about hardware and honestly had no idea about frame latency testing. I guess that's the reason why I ask my questions on Tom's. I'm going to do some research on the 660 ti now and weigh my options. I don't get paid until the 28th so I have a while before I have to decide.
  13. Sumukh_Bhagat said:
    I would wait for next gen Cards.

But as you want to upgrade now you can for for 7870 or GTX 660.

Well I think for now I'm going to upgrade. I'm working over my winter break for some purely disposable income and I'm planning on spending most of it on computer upgrades anyways. I'll be working full time in the summer too so if I feel the need then to upgrade to the next generation I have the option.
  14. jthill909 said:
    Thanks for posting these articles. I am still learning a lot about hardware and honestly had no idea about frame latency testing. I guess that's the reason why I ask my questions on Tom's. I'm going to do some research on the 660 ti now and weigh my options. I don't get paid until the 28th so I have a while before I have to decide.

Tech Report is definitely the place for benchmarking at the moment, since other sites aren't doing frame latency testing yet, but THG will be doing it soon so don't count them out :-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics