Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Problems with oracle virtualbox 4.1.8

Last response: in Windows 7
March 9, 2012 9:35:28 AM

Hello,
I have installed ORacle virtualbox 4.1.8 version in my windows 7 64 bit. After installing when i restart my system, it hangs up. I can only login in safe mode. From safe mode i am unable to uninstall virtualbox. I tried by removing the installed folder in program files, but of no use. still i am unable to login into my system other than safemode. Can anyone let me solution for this?
March 9, 2012 9:47:52 AM

If it helps, Virtualbox on my Fedora 16 machine locks up my boot. DKMS just hangs...

In short, you're not alone, Virtualbox is known to mess up booting.

I suggest you run "msconfig" to remove all "oracle/sun" services from bootup. They are likely your culprits.
March 17, 2012 10:41:00 AM

dihasu said:
Hello,
I have installed ORacle virtualbox 4.1.8 version in my windows 7 64 bit. After installing when i restart my system, it hangs up. I can only login in safe mode. From safe mode i am unable to uninstall virtualbox. I tried by removing the installed folder in program files, but of no use. still i am unable to login into my system other than safemode. Can anyone let me solution for this?

Not a solution I'm afraid, but a 'me too'. I'm using Windows 7 x64 and Virtualbox 4.1.10 r76836. My Windows hangs on startup after the password has been entered and before the desktop is presented. It does this about 50% of the time, so if I repeat the login using 'start windows normally' (or of course 'safe mode'- which always works) it will recover after very few attempts. Incidentally I did a 'restore to restore-point' and it was only partially successful, having to restart and repair before it finally announced it was done.
Related resources
March 17, 2012 5:49:59 PM

VirtualBox doesn't install startup items or services on Windows host, rather it installs several device drivers which may be the ones giving you problems. Depending on your settings during the installation, these drivers should be in your system:

VBoxDrv VirtualBox Support Driver Oracle Corporation c:\windows\system32\drivers\vboxdrv.sys
VBoxNetAdp VirtualBox Host-Only Network Adapter Driver Oracle Corporation c:\windows\system32\drivers\vboxnetadp.sys
VBoxNetFlt VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Oracle Corporation c:\windows\system32\drivers\vboxnetflt.sys
VBoxUSBMon VirtualBox USB Monitor Driver Oracle Corporation c:\windows\system32\drivers\vboxusbmon.sys

TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 - VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Miniport

Try using a program like Autoruns to disable those drivers and check the Device Manager for any VirtualBox related entries that may be marked as a problem. If the failed installation still shows on in your Programs and Features, try using CCleaner to remove that entry from the list. Before trying to reinstall again, download the latest release of VirtualBox and make sure the installer's checksum is correct.

Post a reply if this helps you or not.
March 18, 2012 1:04:27 PM

Thanks for those pointers - I think I have now solved the problem!

Starting with a system that has VirtualBox installed and was thus hanging on reboot I did several 'shutdown->restart's to prove the frequency. I got 4 hangs out of 8 reboots.

Then I looked for the drivers. I could only find 3 - VboxNetAdp, VboxUsbMon and VboxDrv. (The last 2 are 'hidden - non PnP drivers' you have to enable hidded drivers to see them.
I disabled all three and repeated the restart tests: 8/8 success!

Now I changed the status of VboxDrv and VboxUsbMon from 'system' to 'demand'. That failed first time so I tried 'automatic'. Then I did the restart tests again: 8/8 success. Re enable the VboxNetAdp as well... again success!

Now I had re-enabled all the drivers so I tried running Virtualbox again with complete success. So far I have had no hangs on restart with those two non PnP drivers set to automatic.
(See here for an explanation of driver startup types http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725630.asp... )

BTW the checksum on the package is wrong! Oracle have released a new version of the VirtualBox without updating the MD5 page. You can see the release number of the installer is different from that quoted on the checksum page!

Thanks again - problem solved!
March 19, 2012 1:51:33 AM

Glad to hear your problem it's solved :)  Cheers
March 22, 2012 9:02:34 AM

amdfangirl said:
If it helps, Virtualbox on my Fedora 16 machine locks up my boot. DKMS just hangs...

In short, you're not alone, Virtualbox is known to mess up booting.

I suggest you run "msconfig" to remove all "oracle/sun" services from bootup. They are likely your culprits.

Hi amdfangirl,

for disabling those services, i am unable to log in to my desktop when i choose the option " start windows normally". But finally when i restored to a restore point, everythings looks gud for me. Now i am using vmware workstation.

Regards,
dihasu
March 22, 2012 9:05:44 AM

rodders7884 said:
Not a solution I'm afraid, but a 'me too'. I'm using Windows 7 x64 and Virtualbox 4.1.10 r76836. My Windows hangs on startup after the password has been entered and before the desktop is presented. It does this about 50% of the time, so if I repeat the login using 'start windows normally' (or of course 'safe mode'- which always works) it will recover after very few attempts. Incidentally I did a 'restore to restore-point' and it was only partially successful, having to restart and repair before it finally announced it was done.

Hi rodders,

the solution which i have done was restored the system to a restore point.
then my system rocks as usual like before.

thanks,
dihasu
March 22, 2012 9:07:06 AM

draggoth said:
VirtualBox doesn't install startup items or services on Windows host, rather it installs several device drivers which may be the ones giving you problems. Depending on your settings during the installation, these drivers should be in your system:

VBoxDrv VirtualBox Support Driver Oracle Corporation c:\windows\system32\drivers\vboxdrv.sys
VBoxNetAdp VirtualBox Host-Only Network Adapter Driver Oracle Corporation c:\windows\system32\drivers\vboxnetadp.sys
VBoxNetFlt VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Oracle Corporation c:\windows\system32\drivers\vboxnetflt.sys
VBoxUSBMon VirtualBox USB Monitor Driver Oracle Corporation c:\windows\system32\drivers\vboxusbmon.sys

TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 - VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Miniport

Try using a program like Autoruns to disable those drivers and check the Device Manager for any VirtualBox related entries that may be marked as a problem. If the failed installation still shows on in your Programs and Features, try using CCleaner to remove that entry from the list. Before trying to reinstall again, download the latest release of VirtualBox and make sure the installer's checksum is correct.

Post a reply if this helps you or not.

Hi draggoth,

the solution which i have done was restored the system to a restore point.
then my system rocks as usual like before.

regards,
dihasu
!