Sign in with
Your question

My New PC

Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2013 7:26:00 AM

I have just built this build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/vTqZ

and when I am playing games I sometimes get random lag spikes or the textures or sound for fuzzy for like a second then I am back to normal. I have updated all of the drivers and they are working fine.

Just wondering about why this problem is occuring as they are not top end but they should be able to handle the games that I play on a day to day basis such as:

- World of Warcraft
- Batman: Gotham Inposters
- GTA IV

Thanks for reading.

More about : question

January 28, 2013 7:28:32 AM

Frame spikes are normal, especially when not playing with high-end parts. Are you sure this is an issue?
January 28, 2013 7:33:21 AM

MatildaPersson said:
Frame spikes are normal, especially when not playing with high-end parts. Are you sure this is an issue?

Thing is, I should be able to play WoW in Ultra settings right. But I can't. I get about 29fps when in Ultra then when I changed down to "high" it is at 80FPS+. It just makes no sence to me. Also if anyone knows anything about overlcocking can they tell me if I actually can overclock both my GPU and CPU.
Related resources
January 28, 2013 7:45:47 AM

Oh dear. That is an issue.

Hm. Did you install the GPU into the correct PCI lane? Is it overheating -- what sort of temp. is it running at?
January 28, 2013 7:46:50 AM

Sorry, but you can't overclock with that board or CPU.
January 28, 2013 7:48:57 AM

MatildaPersson said:
Oh dear. That is an issue.

Hm. Did you install the GPU into the correct PCI lane? Is it overheating -- what sort of temp. is it running at?

The GPU always runs at about 35 degree's. This is the thing. I have been told that graphics cards can run at 70 degree's and they are fine and I will also check if I have installed it into the right port of my computer.
January 28, 2013 7:50:33 AM

MatildaPersson said:
Sorry, but you can't overclock with that board or CPU.

I thought I wouldn't be able to be.
January 28, 2013 7:51:18 AM

AlexYost said:
The GPU always runs at about 35 degree's. This is the thing. I have been told that graphics cards can run at 70 degree's and they are fine and I will also check if I have installed it into the right port of my computer.

Wait, always? With a stock cooler, it should be heading up to 70*c when gaming. Mine are custom cooled and they reach 60*c.

If it says it never goes over 35*c, the sensor is broken.
January 28, 2013 7:54:33 AM

MatildaPersson said:
Wait, always? With a stock cooler, it should be heading up to 70*c when gaming. Mine are custom cooled and they reach 60*c.

If it says it never goes over 35*c, the sensor is broken.

What program do you recommed using to see the Temperature of my GPU because I am using "Razer Game Booster".
January 28, 2013 7:57:46 AM

AlexYost said:
What program do you recommed using to see the Temperature of my GPU because I am using "Razer Game Booster".

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2198/mirrors.php

Download that program, run it and go over to the "Sensors" tab at the top. It will show you the temp. and a bunch of other things. Keep it open and try to stress the GPU. Keep an eye on the temp.

EDIT: if you click on the "GPU temp" bit, where the little black triangle is, you can change it to show the max temp or the average too. Check them both out.
January 28, 2013 7:59:23 AM

MatildaPersson said:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2198/mirrors.php

Download that program, run it and go over to the "Sensors" tab at the top. It will show you the temp. and a bunch of other things. Keep it open and try to stress the GPU. Keep an eye on the temp.

Thank you very much for advice, I am guessing if I have something wrong with the GPU I will have to send it back and get a brand new one?
January 28, 2013 8:00:42 AM

AlexYost said:
Thank you very much for advice, I am guessing if I have something wrong with the GPU I will have to send it back and get a brand new one?

Possibly. We'll see if we can work it out. Might be a simple fix :) 
January 28, 2013 8:02:47 AM

MatildaPersson said:
Possibly. We'll see if we can work it out. Might be a simple fix :) 

Ok but the thing is I'm currently at school so I will bnot be able to do any of these checks untill about 12:35 GMT . Will you be able to help me when I am at home if you are around at that time.
January 28, 2013 8:06:16 AM

AlexYost said:
Ok but the thing is I'm currently at school so I will bnot be able to do any of these checks untill about 12:35 GMT . Will you be able to help me when I am at home if you are around at that time.

What's that? Like... 2 hours? I can help you then.
January 28, 2013 8:07:41 AM

MatildaPersson said:
What's that? Like... 2 hours? I can help you then.

Yeah it's 2 and a half hours from now. Thank you so much for all thid. I knew there was something wrong with it.
January 28, 2013 8:08:37 AM

AlexYost said:
Yeah it's 2 and a half hours from now. Thank you so much for all thid. I knew there was something wrong with it.

Happy to help :) 
January 28, 2013 11:25:48 AM

AlexYost said:
The Sensor works on my GPU it kept going up and up and I stopped it at 75*c

Okay. How long did it take to get that hot?
January 28, 2013 11:26:28 AM

About a minute and 30 seconds?
January 28, 2013 11:32:11 AM

AlexYost said:
About a minute and 30 seconds?

Alright, so it's heating up pretty quick.

Download this program: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/download-bt...

Run it and make sure it detects your GPU correctly. See where it says fan speed? Set it to 70%. Now run the program again with those settings, the same as before. Let it warm up. Keep increasing the fan speed 1% until the GPU stays under 69*c. Remember to hit apply when you adjust the fan speed each time.
January 28, 2013 11:42:11 AM

MatildaPersson said:
Alright, so it's heating up pretty quick.

Download this program: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/download-bt...

Run it and make sure it detects your GPU correctly. See where it says fan speed? Set it to 70%. Now run the program again with those settings, the same as before. Let it warm up. Keep increasing the fan speed 1% until the GPU stays under 69*c. Remember to hit apply when you adjust the fan speed each time.

I couldn't get it to stay at 69*c at all. It just shot up way to quick for me to control it.
January 28, 2013 11:43:00 AM

AlexYost said:
I couldn't get it to stay at 69*c at all. It just shot up way to quick for me to control it.

Are you sure you were hitting apply each time you turned up the fan?
January 28, 2013 11:44:37 AM

MatildaPersson said:
Are you sure you were hitting apply each time you turned up the fan?

I'm an idiot.

Brb I'll try it again!
January 28, 2013 11:45:48 AM

AlexYost said:
I'm an idiot.

Brb I'll try it again!

Easy mistake :p 
January 28, 2013 11:47:22 AM

MatildaPersson said:
Easy mistake :p 

Nope it just shoots up again.. :\
January 28, 2013 11:50:01 AM

AlexYost said:
Nope it just shoots up again.. :\

Alright. Try to keep it under 79*c now. Max the fan if you need to.
January 28, 2013 11:52:16 AM

MatildaPersson said:
Alright. Try to keep it under 79*c now. Max the fan if you need to.

On max fan's from the start it just shot up again...
January 28, 2013 11:53:43 AM

AlexYost said:
On max fan's from the start it just shot up again...

You're certain you set the program as shown in that picture above?
January 28, 2013 11:59:55 AM

Hm. Your GPU is overclocked by a fair margin.

Write the core clock and memory clock speeds down, then set them both to "default" 0, so there is no overclock.
Now go into the options menu and enable voltage control. Once enabled, set the voltage to the same default setting at 0.

Repeat the temp test and let me know. It should be cooler.
January 28, 2013 12:08:16 PM

MatildaPersson said:
Hm. Your GPU is overclocked by a fair margin.

Write the core clock and memory clock speeds down, then set them both to "default" 0, so there is no overclock.
Now go into the options menu and enable voltage control. Once enabled, set the voltage to the same default setting at 0.

Repeat the temp test and let me know. It should be cooler.

Still it just ain't cooling down at all..
January 28, 2013 12:12:48 PM

AlexYost said:
Still it just ain't cooling down at all..

It's STILL exceeding 80*c at max fan setting? Wow. This is looking bad.

Hmm... What's your ambient temp.? Is it hot? What cooling do you have in the case?
January 28, 2013 12:14:18 PM

MatildaPersson said:
It's STILL exceeding 80*c at max fan setting? Wow. This is looking bad.

Hmm... What's your ambient temp.? Is it hot? What cooling do you have in the case?

I have 2 fans, one at the front and one at the back. What do you mean by ambient temperature?
January 28, 2013 12:16:56 PM

AlexYost said:
I have 2 fans, one at the front and one at the back. What do you mean by ambient temperature?

That's not great fan setup, really. You ideally want more air going into the case than out or the same amount.

Ambient means the temp. around in the room.
January 28, 2013 12:19:46 PM

MatildaPersson said:
That's not great fan setup, really. You ideally want more air going into the case than out or the same amount.

Well at this moment in time I'm freezing. So the room temperature is fine.

Guessing I need to buy more fans for my PC if I can?
January 28, 2013 12:20:53 PM

MatildaPersson said:

This is both together: http://gyazo.com/317ec00a6c44b6b509537555d024d003
January 28, 2013 12:23:14 PM

AlexYost said:
Well at this moment in time I'm freezing. So the room temperature is fine.

Guessing I need to buy more fans for my PC if I can?

One more in the front would help general temps very slightly. Mostly it will help keep dust out of the case. More air going in than out, means dust is pushed out.

Your GPU is stumping me.

If I were you, I'd take it apart, remove the heatsink, clean off the old thermal paste, reapply my own and put it back together. It's possible the heatsink isn't sitting properly.

Other than that, I've got nothing :/ 
January 28, 2013 12:28:09 PM

MatildaPersson said:
One more in the front would help general temps very slightly. Mostly it will help keep dust out of the case. More air going in than out, means dust is pushed out.

Your GPU is stumping me.

If I were you, I'd take it apart, remove the heatsink, clean off the old thermal paste, reapply my own and put it back together. It's possible the heatsink isn't sitting properly.

Other than that, I've got nothing :/ 

I'll have to do that with the termal paste then! Thank you so much for all the help that you have given to me today.
January 28, 2013 12:28:42 PM

What you can do, is set the core clock, memory clock and voltage to the default for that card -- undo the factory overclock. See if it still overheats with those settings applied. If it does, you can turn the voltage down and underclock it. But it's better to simply get a new one at that point.
January 28, 2013 12:30:19 PM

MatildaPersson said:
What you can do, is set the core clock, memory clock and voltage to the default for that card -- undo the factory overclock. See if it still overheats with those settings applied. If it does, you can turn the voltage down and underclock it. But it's better to simply get a new one at that point.

I still have wantenty on the card I think, do you reckon I could get another replacement one?
January 28, 2013 12:34:54 PM

AlexYost said:
I still have wantenty on the card I think, do you reckon I could get another replacement one?

Yeah. The card is way overheating. That card, with that cooler, should not be overheating at max fan speed.

If you can, I'd try redoing the thermal paste and heatsink myself first. But I dunno if that's an easy option for you.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2013 1:23:38 PM

AlexYost said:

I GUARANTEE you still have a warranty. If you remove the heatsink and mess with the paste you won't though.

if its freezing there take the side of the case off and see what happens. GPUZ pushes temps unnaturally high as well. You'd be better of to play WOW at ultra, confirm the temps skyrocket AND the gpu starts throttling. If it does do an RMA and get a replacement.
January 28, 2013 1:27:23 PM

unksol said:
I GUARANTEE you still have a warranty. If you remove the heatsink and mess with the paste you won't though.

if its freezing there take the side of the case off and see what happens. GPUZ pushes temps unnaturally high as well. You'd be better of to play WOW at ultra, confirm the temps skyrocket AND the gpu starts throttling. If it does do an RMA and get a replacement.

GPUZ does nothing to temps. Not sure where you got that information.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2013 3:31:31 PM

MatildaPersson said:
GPUZ does nothing to temps. Not sure where you got that information.

That would just be me being up 2 days and saying gpuz when I meant Furmark. Lol As I am sure can tell or I would not have recommended testing with WOW, which is the actual problem, instead. Furmark pulls way more power than any normal load and isn't an accurate way to measure.
January 28, 2013 3:35:33 PM

unksol said:
That would just be me being up 2 days and saying gpuz when I meant Furmark. Lol As I am sure can tell or I would not have recommended testing with WOW, which is the actual problem, instead. Furmark pulls way more power than any normal load and isn't an accurate way to measure.

Ah! I do that all the time lol.

I find that those settings simulate only slightly above max temp in a stressing game. I like to use it just to be sure.
January 28, 2013 3:45:19 PM

MatildaPersson said:
Yeah. The card is way overheating. That card, with that cooler, should not be overheating at max fan speed.

If you can, I'd try redoing the thermal paste and heatsink myself first. But I dunno if that's an easy option for you.

I wouldn't do this as it may void your warranty. And there is no way it's your cases fault as this GPU comes with an aftermarket heatsink. I would just RMA it back to where you bought it.
January 28, 2013 3:52:04 PM

Korilic said:
I wouldn't do this as it may void your warranty. And there is no way it's your cases fault as this GPU comes with an aftermarket heatsink. I would just RMA it back to where you bought it.

I don't think there's any way for them to check. I've not noticed any tabs that tear or the such.

Not that I recommend breaking a contract and lying :p 
!