problem with game on XP

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Hi

I have a problem with a children's game called Maths Invader. I have
installed the game but when I double click the icon on the desktop to start
the game, a window pops up (16 bit Windows Subsystem) which says
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT the system file is not suitable for runing
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. I can get the game to work by
copying the Autoexec.nt file from WINDOWS\repair to WINDOWS\system 32 (this
solution was suggested in a reply to a similar message posted previously).
The repair works great but the problem returns each time the computer is
restarted and has to be fixed each time. Any suggestions on how to make the
repair permanent gratefully received.

many thanks

Adrian

Run a virus scan on your system with the latest definitons.

Thomas Kuck wrote:
> Please note that you might have to put an 'x' in front of 'copy':
xcopy
> c:\win....
> My WinXP SP2 doesn't recognize the copy command, might be the same
with
> yours.
>
> Paul Smith wrote:
>
> >"Adrian" <Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> >>The repair works great but the problem returns each time the
computer is
> >>restarted and has to be fixed each time. Any suggestions on how to
make
> >>the
> >>repair permanent gratefully received.
> >>

> >This is a new one for me so I'll do some digging.
> >
> >In the mean time I've put up a temporary work-around at
> >http://windows.dasmirnov.net/downloads/autoexecfix.bat. Save that
somewhere
> >on your computer, and drag it into your Startup folder in the
Programs menu

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

xcopy is the legal file that ships with Microsoft XP. Description:
Extended Copy Utility
I think they stopped naming it 'copy' since win98.

DosFreak wrote:

>Run a virus scan on your system with the latest definitons.
>
>Thomas Kuck wrote:
>

>>Please note that you might have to put an 'x' in front of 'copy':
>>

>xcopy
>

>>c:\win....
>>My WinXP SP2 doesn't recognize the copy command, might be the same
>>

>with
>

>>yours.
>>
>>Paul Smith wrote:
>>

>>>"Adrian" <Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>computer is

>make

>>>This is a new one for me so I'll do some digging.
>>>
>>>In the mean time I've put up a temporary work-around at
>>>http://windows.dasmirnov.net/downloads/autoexecfix.bat. Save that
>>>

>somewhere
>

>>>on your computer, and drag it into your Startup folder in the
>>>

>Programs menu
>

>>>on the Start menu. This should create a shortcut to it, as it's in
>>>

>the
>

>>>startup folder it'll automatically run each time you reboot/login.
>>>
>>>If you don't want it to run on startup, simply run it before you
>>>

>want play
>

>>>Maths Invaders.
>>>
>>>Couple of points on .bat files...
>>>
>>>These kind of files can be used for malicious reasons, ie basically
>>>

>you can
>

>>>run any command with them, so your anti-virus/spyware/malware
>>>

>programs may
>

>>>block it, or prompt you to allow it.
>>>
>>>If you drop this one into Notepad, you'll see the command it runs
>>>

>is:
>

>>>"copy c:\windows\repair\autoexec.nt c:\windows\system32"
>>>
>>>Which does exactly the same as you copying the file manually, just
>>>

>saves a
>

>>>bit of the finger work.
>>>
>>>Like I said it is only a temporary work-around until we can hunt
>>>

>down what's
>

>>>causing this.

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

many thanks for your help
unfortunately, the link you kindly provided was not available on my server
so I haven't been able to use the temporary fix yet.
thanks again
Adrian

"Thomas Kuck" <Kolossus@Sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> xcopy is the legal file that ships with Microsoft XP. Description:
> Extended Copy Utility
> I think they stopped naming it 'copy' since win98.

copy still works here.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

"copy" and "xcopy" are part of XP

The original problem may be happening because of a virus, or some type of
spyware, which has infested the PC. This is a known file that gets infected
and/or removed.

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> "Adrian" <Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > The repair works great but the problem returns each time the computer is
> > restarted and has to be fixed each time. Any suggestions on how to make
> > the
> > repair permanent gratefully received.
>
> This is a new one for me so I'll do some digging.
>
> In the mean time I've put up a temporary work-around at
> http://windows.dasmirnov.net/downloads/autoexecfix.bat. Save that somewhere
> on your computer, and drag it into your Startup folder in the Programs menu
> on the Start menu. This should create a shortcut to it, as it's in the
> startup folder it'll automatically run each time you reboot/login.
>
> If you don't want it to run on startup, simply run it before you want play
> Maths Invaders.
>
> Couple of points on .bat files...
>
> These kind of files can be used for malicious reasons, ie basically you can
> run any command with them, so your anti-virus/spyware/malware programs may
> block it, or prompt you to allow it.
>
> If you drop this one into Notepad, you'll see the command it runs is:
>
> "copy c:\windows\repair\autoexec.nt c:\windows\system32"
>
> Which does exactly the same as you copying the file manually, just saves a
> bit of the finger work.
>
> Like I said it is only a temporary work-around until we can hunt down what's
> causing this.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/
> http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
>
> *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Hi
now have the temporary fix (took the . off bat) and it is working great
many thanks for your help

> Hi
> now have the temporary fix (took the . off bat) and it is working great
> many thanks for your help

Ahh my silly full stops for you, they get in everywhere. Keep an eye out on
the thread, may be someone will work out what's causing the file to be
removed in the first place.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.