Sign in with
Your question

Is it time to upgrade?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2013 10:53:56 AM

Hello all! I am newly signed up to the forums although I have benefitted from the wisdom found therein on many occasions over the years :)  Just like to say what an awesome place this is for info.

I have been an enthusiast PC builder in the past; although due to work constraints I have been out of the picture for a while, although now that my latest contract has ended, I am looking forward to a couple of months of gaming time.

I will mostly use my computer for gaming comfortably on high/highest settings with optional AA, AF. I run at 1920 * 1080 single monitor. I am looking at Farcry 3, Battlefield 3 etc.

Anyway, I ultimately wish to know if it is worth updating my system for the above games:

Current specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 710 @2.6 Ghz
MB: ASUS M4A78 Pro
GPU: Twintech GTX 560 Ti
RAM: 6 GB DDR2 (Corsair XMS)
HDD: 2 x 250 GB SATA (Seagate I think?)
PSU: Hiper Type R MKII 680w
Coler: Zalman CNPS9500A
Screen: LG flatron W2253V

My biggest concern at the moment is the CPU being a bottleneck.

I also am concerned about my PSU, if it may be too old for a new system. There seems to be virtually no info on how this model holds up with modern systems.

Is it worth it changing motherboard to get DDR 3 and switching to an Intel CPU?

I will keep graphics card if possible (I usually skip a generation – will wait till 700 series.)

Let’s say budget of 600 euros.

Thanks for your insight!

More about : time upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2013 11:12:28 AM

new intel cpu is coming, wait until june :) 
your system is already enough to play games

it is worth buying PSU atm and able to re-use it on your future upgrade, get XFX 650W
!