Moving graphics card pc to pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VibesJD

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I am going to get a graphics card, my first ever. Ya! A GT 630 to be exact, much better than what I currently have (9200 Integrated and a 7300SE in my second pc). My question is that I have two PCs, and would be moving from one to the other back and forth every week. Would it be okay if I could take the graphics card from one pc to the other frequently. Also, my case is TINY! I would have to take off the side panel of my pc and take out the optical drive to fit my graphics card in. I don't want to buy two graphics cards and also do not want one to be able to run games whilst the other unable. Thanks!

Solution
Its no problem to move a GPU occasionally... but to do it every week is a whole other matter. The biggest issue is that PCI slots are not designed to be changed out that often. On a short term basis it would probably be fine, just understand that you are on borrowed time, and that something will break eventually.

On another note, it sounds more like the problem is that you need a more portable PC. There are some very capable small PC cases that can fit very nice parts inside without much thermal issue. Some even have handles on the top for easy transport. If possible I would consolidate your hardware down to one good machine in such a case, and just pack it with you when you need to move.
Its no problem to move a GPU occasionally... but to do it every week is a whole other matter. The biggest issue is that PCI slots are not designed to be changed out that often. On a short term basis it would probably be fine, just understand that you are on borrowed time, and that something will break eventually.

On another note, it sounds more like the problem is that you need a more portable PC. There are some very capable small PC cases that can fit very nice parts inside without much thermal issue. Some even have handles on the top for easy transport. If possible I would consolidate your hardware down to one good machine in such a case, and just pack it with you when you need to move.

Solution

VibesJD

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Thanks! I might just spend a bit of my money to get a new machine, i3-3220, 8gb ram etc and get a new case for that. My small case however, might or might not be able to hold the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.