Are these normal load temps for MSI TF3 7950

explsvcookie257

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hi, I recently purchased an msi tf3 7950 from newegg. This is my very first graphics card for my very first build and its great except only one problem it gets hot. I am debating weather to rma to newegg or return to msi depending on the feedback from you all.

These numbers are with stock volts of 1031mv and stock clocks 880mhz and 1250 on the memory, all manual fan settings. Idle has always been 32c sometimes 28c in the morning.

Originally gaming temps during BF3 multiplayer, on ultra @1280x1024, at 65% fan were 78c to 80c sometimes reaching 83c. Bitcoin mining required the fan to be at 85% or more for temps to stay around 85c. So I looked online, apparently msi does some bad TIM applications, well it gets worse then that upon opening my card I found 3 little globs of solder on the heat sink as if it had splashed onto it. TIM application looked fine compared to the mess I have seen on some. Upon further investigation there is more of these tiny solder balls on the heat pipes and fins. I used a scalpel to remove the solder balls on the gpu contact plate, which exposed some copper underneath around the edges of the HS.

Reassembled with AS5 here are my temps after a week or so of doing this.

House temp between 65f and 68f room is probably a little warmer around 72f not sure.
Case is opened up Fractal Arc Midi
Idle 28c to 32c 65% fan
BF3 metro 64p 72c at 65% 96c after 7 minutes at 50% fan had to stop
BitCoin Mining 79c at 65% no need to try 50% here as the above will give you a good idea
Furmark 78c 65% 1024x576 8x MSAA for 5 minutes

I also have coil whine but I'm more worried about these temps.

How bad are these temps? Will newegg accept an rma for this, should I go through msi, or am I screwed since I scratched the nickle coating on the HS where it comes in contact with gpu. Ive had good luck with every part of my build except for this and am unsure what to do. Thanks in advance for your input.

AMD cards tend to run like that if it start running 90c then you should be concerned. You really should not of use AS5 big mistake it's conductive and not meant to be use with GPU.You screwed yourself by reapply paste they will just send the same card back to you.

explsvcookie257

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Not true, MSI does not void there warranty if you reapply thermal paste as long as its puts back together correctly. Sure I can change it to something non conductive but if its done right it shouldn't be an issue as it hasn't been. Im concerned about the temps because I have seen people running there cards with 50% fan speed and staying around 65c or less under load. I should not have to bump fan speed up so high to have reasonable temps which I dont consider reasonable at all considering so many people with such lower temps.

Sorry but once they see you used AS5 which is conductive. As per AS5's website, "Then the compound thickens slightly over the next 50 to 200 hours of use to its final consistency designed for long-term stability."Which means it's not even dry yet.You can try and cover up what you did however i think that MSI will figure it out and tell your getting nothing but your card back lol.I hope not just my thoughts.

explsvcookie257

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
So your doubting my ability to remove the paste? Ive fixed dozen's of xbox 360's with the three red rings using as5, cleaning up the paste isnt a problem, apply some greyish non conductive paste and I'm good if I do send it back. I was aware of the risk and thats all the paste I have at the moment.

Any msi tf3 7950 owners, post your load temps under bitcoin mining or bf3 and your fan speed or use my fan speed's so Its easier to compare. Thanks a lot.

Well no offense but what would you think if someone told you that they used AS5 on the GPU ? lol. Anyways moving on... My son has 7950 i will ask him tomorrow about his temps and get back to you if no one else has by then good luck!

explsvcookie257

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Yeah I feel you. Ill change the paste asap. I'm surprised I haven't gotten any one else input, I thought I explained my situation clearly and had very clear data to compare others results from in order for me to determine whether or not it should be returned. I guess I need to try a Google search with specific fan speeds.

This is all I have so far but unsure of fan speeds as they are not listed in the review
Tom's hardware 7950 round up has my card at 65c maximum under bitcoin mining 10mins, I was at 80c at 65% fan
Average under games 57c, Im at 72 at 65% during BF3
hexus's review has it at 66c during Batman AC
But this is useless as I don't know the fan speed which is why I need your alls help.

All I need is three or so people to put there cards at 50% and or 65% under similar conditions and tell me your temps are. It will be immediately obvious my card has a problem. I would greatly appreciate it.

If it comes down to it I have a feeling I'm better of with RMAing through MSI as they are going to have stock of cards they know don't have cooling problems, where as newegg is just sending me another card clueless as to how it performs.

Actually now its discontinued on newegg so my only option is MSI.

I do not have a 7950 to compare to, but what does the auto speed do?

I never use manual speed on my cards.

Just for reference, my 5870 gets upto about 83c when playing games(reviews show lower, but I know my case air flow may not be great.). I think it got upto maybe 85-86(been a while, but I think it was in that area, it also got quite loud) in furmarks.

Now onto comparing speeds.

Since you have an aftermarket cooler(MSI TF3). So the actual fan speed at a given percentage will be different as well.

As an example the stock gtx 650 ti runs at a lower % number then the MSI one(Cyclone II), but that higher % is actually a lower speed for the MSI fan.

For this reason, I wonder what the auto fan speed does(so no after burner or anything.).

I have not clue what bitcoin mining is, but it sounds cpu intense.

The TIM replacement had what I would call a positive effect(less fan speed needed for bitcoin mining).

I have never gained more then a degree or 2 with tim replacements and decided not to do it, But i do have an MSI cyclone II cooler card, hmmmmm better not. It runs hotter then reviews show(I have seen it as high as 64c and reviews show it not passing 51c) as well. Again, all cases are different some some reviews are done in lower temps and with the side panels off.

I know AS5 may not be recommended for video cards, but it is all I have ever used on video cards in the past. Unless you are just filling traces with the stuff, it should not cause damage.

I would also like to point out that at those lower screen resolutions(1280 x 1024), your card is most likely just CRANKING out the frames. I highly recommend Vsync to slow the cards frame rates down. It should help with heat a lot(as well as lower power consumption).

If a game does not have that option, try vsync in the CCC or Google a frame rate limit for the game(set it to 30-60 depending on your game preferences. I have little problem with low speed games at 30, but fps need more to feel smooth). Many can be set with ini/cfg files or shortcut additions.

I know its not quite the answer you want, but some things to try.

A quick Google seems to show all kinds of high temp forum posts for the TF2, but also some other users reporting low 80s in games as well. while others are seeing way lower.

Very strange indeed.

I still wonder if vsync would help(but not solve the problem if the heatsink just sucks), I mean you have to be just pushing frames fast at your screen resolution.

I have an XFX double D 7950 with a HAF XM case my load temps on farcry 3 (which has the same graphics as crisis 3) maxed out with msaa x8 are at 68c with 65% fan speed most other games i see maxed out are between 52-64c under load i would defiantly RMA that card...

dajens72

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Don't know if it will help your decision, but in PS2 and WOT...the max temps of my XFX7950s on average were 68-69c...that's after long weekend gaming sessions.