Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Narrowed it down to two. (670 or 7970)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 13, 2012 7:14:57 AM

Hey guys, i'm currently building a new gaming pc over Christmas.

I'm wondering what graphics card would perform better.
The EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition
OR
The ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP Edition

They are both $499 at the store i'm buying from.

The games i am wanting to play are Bf3 and Crysis 2 (Max settings are preferable).

Don't offer me another card that's more expensive or something that is similar to these two, if you're offering me another card it should be better than any of these two and cheaper, but i'd prefer if you just answered my question.

Proposed components are:
AMD FX 8350 CPU (Stock is 4ghz i'll probably have it Oc'ed to 4.6Ghz with a Corsair h100)
16GB G.Skill Ram
Asus Crosshair V-Formula-Z Motherboard
Sandisk 128GB SSD.

Thanks to all who reply.

More about : narrowed 670 7970

a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 7:28:21 AM

My vote goes to hd7970 hands down, I have the gtx670 and I am happy with it but I still wish I had a hd7970ghz edition. The card is just better especially while overclocked with the latest drivers.
btw EVGA gtx670 FTW should be worth around $380-400

I am not sure where you are getting your gpu from but perhaps you should look for a better merchant/website.

m
0
l
December 13, 2012 7:29:10 AM

shamsmu said:
My vote goes to hd7970 hands down, I have the gtx670 and I am happy with it but I still wish I had a hd7970ghz edition.
btw EVGA gtx670 FTW should be worth around $380-400

I am not sure where you are getting your gpu from but perhaps you should look for a better merchant/website.



It's from scorptec in melbourne. Can you suggest a better place?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 7:35:54 AM

TotalRedux said:
It's from scorptec in melbourne. Can you suggest a better place?


Oh your from Australia too thats a different story then. We aussies usually pay about $100 extra on top of normal retail values :( 
well I am from sydney myself and I get my stuff from msi/ mwave/pcdiy.

But as for my gtx670 direct cu II Top, I got it from ebay american store. Reliable seller with heaps of positive feedbacks and fast delivery. And I saved about $80 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-EVGA-02G-P4-2678-KR-FTW-...

But $499 for hd7970 direct cu II top is a really good deal, I think I would go for that if I was you.
Share
December 13, 2012 7:38:32 AM

shamsmu said:
Oh your from Australia too thats a different story then. We aussies usually pay about $100 extra on top of normal retail values :( 
well I am from sydney myself and I get my stuff from msi/ mwave/pcdiy.

But as for my gtx670 direct cu II Top, I got it from ebay american store. Reliable seller with heaps of positive feedbacks and fast delivery. And I saved about $80 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-EVGA-02G-P4-2678-KR-FTW-...

But $499 for hd7970 direct cu II top is a really good deal, I think I would go for that if I was you.


Yeah i'm an aussie as well, it sucks how we pay extra for everything. But i wouldn't be prepared to purchase from overseas.
I think i'm going the HD7970 route so far. Will let you know if it all goes well, i should have the parts by Jan 2013 if the money comes through!

Thanks for the quick reply.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 7:40:20 AM

TotalRedux said:
Yeah i'm an aussie as well, it sucks how we pay extra for everything. But i wouldn't be prepared to purchase from overseas.
I think i'm going the HD7970 route so far. Will let you know if it all goes well, i should have the parts by Jan 2013 if the money comes through!

Thanks for the quick reply.


no worries mate good luck!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 7:51:33 AM

Definietly go with the 7970 because with my 7850 I can overclock it to 670 performance so I am sure a 7970 would destroy the 670.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 9:19:00 AM

Oh $499 for a Asus 7970 TOP! Thats a heaps good deal, mwave list it around for $600 although its out of stock right now. Damn.

Goldsauce my 7850 is overclocked like 60% more on the core and I still don't have 670 levels. You must have like one hell of an overclock (Mine is overclocked at 1.4 GHZ core btw)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 9:20:56 AM

goldsauce said:
Definietly go with the 7970 because with my 7850 I can overclock it to 670 performance so I am sure a 7970 would destroy the 670.

7850 OCed to GTX 670 performance? I'm sure you mean the 7950 :D 
m
0
l
December 13, 2012 10:19:38 PM

Best answer selected by TotalRedux.
m
0
l
!