Cannot connect to internet after adding a switch

acesup_11

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
First post so please be gentle!!!....

I have been running a Linksys E2000 wireless N router flashed with DD-WRT for about a year now with ATT uverse DSL. I have filled all the ports on the router and needed to add a switch. I bought a TRENDnet TEG-S80G Switch 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet 10/100/1000Mbps 8 x RJ45 8K MAC Address Table 128KBytes Buffer Memory from new egg and connected one of the ports from the router to the 1 slot on the switch. I get lights on the Switch but then nothing could connect to the internet through the router or switch. Also the router would not pull an IP from the dsl modem anymore. I tried hooking a laptop up to the modem directly and no problem pulled an IP right away. I then disconnected the Switch and almost right away the router pulled an IP and everything was back online. I was wondering what I am doing wrong if someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all so much for your help

acesup_11

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Normal CAT 6 cable. Also port 1 was connected to port 1 on both devices. I feel like the modem is trying to send the signal to the router.... like their is a router setting that is wrong.

What do you mean? The modem connection hasn't changed, i.e., it should still be connected to the Internet port of the router.

yanonon

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
g.gif
I feel like the modem is trying to send the signal to the router.... like their is a router setting that is wrong.

The link that you provided doesn't work. Is everything working properly without the switch? If so, what do you change in the Internet connection when you connect the switch?

Normally the modem is connected to the Internet port on the Linksys E2000 router. You have other devices connected to the 4 Ethernet ports on that router. Since all Ethernet ports are used, you disconnected one device and you connected the switch where that device used to be connected. Then you connected the device that used to be connected to the router to the switch.Is this what you did?

acesup_11

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Normally the modem is connected to the Internet port on the Linksys E2000 router. You have other devices connected to the 4 Ethernet ports on that router. Since all Ethernet ports are used, you disconnected one device and you connected the switch where that device used to be connected. Then you connected the device that used to be connected to the router to the switch.Is this what you did?[/quotemsg]

yes that is exactly what I did.

Then it should work. A crossover cable is not required to connect the switch and the router because all ports on the switch are Auto-MDIX.

You wrote "I get lights on the Switch but then nothing could connect to the internet through the router or switch." Are you sure that you don't have a defective switch?

acesup_11

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

I am not sure of that. I am going to return it and get another switch to try it....I just find it weird that the router doesnt pull an IP at all its all 0.0.0.0.0 as soon as I plug the switch in.....