Installing Microsoft games

I have a problem when trying to intall any microsoft games.
Every time I try to install Age of Empires 2, Microsoft Flight Sim or
Mechwarrior 4
to this locatcion: E:\Program Files\Age of Empires 2 etc.
I get this message:

"The path you selected specifies an in invalid drive or the folder is
invalid, incomplete, too long, or write protected. Enter a full path with
the drive letter"

But I have installed many other non microsoft games like Medal of honor and
Battlefield 1942 under the same drive letter and never encountered a problem
like this before.

What should I do?
Reply to Anonymous
14 answers Last reply
More about installing microsoft games

    Hi,

    1. Try using an administrators account.
    2. See if you can create the folder yourself first
    and then try to install the game to that folder.

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:068CA9F1-1A41-486D-AA7D-134C3712E7D8@microsoft.com...
    >I have a problem when trying to intall any microsoft games.
    > Every time I try to install Age of Empires 2, Microsoft Flight Sim or
    > Mechwarrior 4
    > to this locatcion: E:\Program Files\Age of Empires 2 etc.
    > I get this message:
    >
    > "The path you selected specifies an in invalid drive or the folder is
    > invalid, incomplete, too long, or write protected. Enter a full path with
    > the drive letter"
    >
    > But I have installed many other non microsoft games like Medal of honor and
    > Battlefield 1942 under the same drive letter and never encountered a problem
    > like this before.
    >
    > What should I do?
    Reply to Anonymous

    Hello,

    I only have the one account on this computer, I checked and it is listed as
    administrator. I also tried makeing the folder first,I was able to create
    the folder. but it still said the same thing when I selected it from the
    games 'install location' menu.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > 1. Try using an administrators account.
    > 2. See if you can create the folder yourself first
    > and then try to install the game to that folder.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:068CA9F1-1A41-486D-AA7D-134C3712E7D8@microsoft.com...
    > >I have a problem when trying to install any microsoft games.
    > > Every time I try to install Age of Empires 2, Microsoft Flight Sim or
    > > Mechwarrior 4
    > > to this locatcion: E:\Program Files\Age of Empires 2 etc.
    > > I get this message:
    > >
    > > "The path you selected specifies an in invalid drive or the folder is
    > > invalid, incomplete, too long, or write protected. Enter a full path with
    > > the drive letter"
    > >
    > > But I have installed many other non microsoft games like Medal of honor and
    > > Battlefield 1942 under the same drive letter and never encountered a problem
    > > like this before.
    > >
    > > What should I do?

    Reply to Anonymous

    Hi Canonz,

    Try starting up in Safe Mode with Networking (Press F8 on startup)
    to see if that will allow you to install the games on your system.

    --

    "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:387C8614-DF85-46C3-9549-AA24F5F48A1E@microsoft.com...
    | Hello,
    |
    | I only have the one account on this computer, I checked and it is listed as
    | administrator. I also tried makeing the folder first,I was able to create
    | the folder. but it still said the same thing when I selected it from the
    | games 'install location' menu.
    |

    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi,
    | >
    | > 1. Try using an administrators account.
    | > 2. See if you can create the folder yourself first
    | > and then try to install the game to that folder.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >
    | > "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:068CA9F1-1A41-486D-AA7D-134C3712E7D8@microsoft.com...
    | > >I have a problem when trying to install any microsoft games.
    | > > Every time I try to install Age of Empires 2, Microsoft Flight Sim or
    | > > Mechwarrior 4
    | > > to this locatcion: E:\Program Files\Age of Empires 2 etc.
    | > > I get this message:
    | > >
    | > > "The path you selected specifies an in invalid drive or the folder is
    | > > invalid, incomplete, too long, or write protected. Enter a full path with
    | > > the drive letter"
    | > >
    | > > But I have installed many other non microsoft games like Medal of honor and
    | > > Battlefield 1942 under the same drive letter and never encountered a problem
    | > > like this before.
    | > >
    | > > What should I do?

    Reply to Anonymous
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi jimmy,

    That didn't work either.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Canonz,
    >
    > Try starting up in Safe Mode with Networking (Press F8 on startup)
    > to see if that will allow you to install the games on your system.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:387C8614-DF85-46C3-9549-AA24F5F48A1E@microsoft.com...
    > | Hello,
    > |
    > | I only have the one account on this computer, I checked and it is listed as
    > | administrator. I also tried makeing the folder first,I was able to create
    > | the folder. but it still said the same thing when I selected it from the
    > | games 'install location' menu.
    > |

    > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > |
    > | > Hi,
    > | >
    > | > 1. Try using an administrators account.
    > | > 2. See if you can create the folder yourself first
    > | > and then try to install the game to that folder.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > | >
    > | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    > | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > | > _________________________________________________________

    Reply to Anonymous
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    If it helps,
    I been running win xp sp1, and recently upgraded to sp2 about 2 weeks ago.
    but I don't know if I had the same problem before or not because I never
    installed any games until after I upgraded to sp2.

    "Canonz" wrote:

    > Hi jimmy,
    >
    > That didn't work either.
    >
    > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Canonz,
    > >
    > > Try starting up in Safe Mode with Networking (Press F8 on startup)
    > > to see if that will allow you to install the games on your system.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >
    > > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    > > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > >
    > > "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:387C8614-DF85-46C3-9549-AA24F5F48A1E@microsoft.com...
    > > | Hello,
    > > |
    > > | I only have the one account on this computer, I checked and it is listed as
    > > | administrator. I also tried makeing the folder first,I was able to create
    > > | the folder. but it still said the same thing when I selected it from the
    > > | games 'install location' menu.

    Reply to Anonymous
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Interesting issue..

    How large is that partition?
    Is it FAT or NTFS?
    Can you install to another partition instead?

    --

    "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FADB085F-D202-4B44-9D73-4600F839654B@microsoft.com...
    > If it helps,
    > I been running win xp sp1, and recently upgraded to sp2 about 2 weeks ago.
    > but I don't know if I had the same problem before or not because I never
    > installed any games until after I upgraded to sp2.
    >

    > "Canonz" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi jimmy,
    >>
    >> That didn't work either.
    >>
    >> "Jimmy S." wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi Canonz,
    >> >
    >> > Try starting up in Safe Mode with Networking (Press F8 on startup)
    >> > to see if that will allow you to install the games on your system.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >> >
    >> > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >> > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >> > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    >> > _________________________________________________________

    Reply to Anonymous
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    This partition is 20 gigs with a little more than 11 gigs still free.
    And it is NTSF. and yes it will let me install to any other partition
    except this one.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Interesting issue..
    >
    > How large is that partition?
    > Is it FAT or NTFS?
    > Can you install to another partition instead?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FADB085F-D202-4B44-9D73-4600F839654B@microsoft.com...
    > > If it helps,
    > > I been running win xp sp1, and recently upgraded to sp2 about 2 weeks ago.
    > > but I don't know if I had the same problem before or not because I never
    > > installed any games until after I upgraded to sp2.
    > >

    > > "Canonz" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi jimmy,
    > >>
    > >> That didn't work either.

    Reply to Anonymous
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Canonz,

    Cool, we're getting somewhere...

    Are the other partitions also NTFS?
    Are the other partitions less than 20 Gigs?

    --

    "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6A2B56D-B91B-4320-AEFA-916CB7666285@microsoft.com...

    > This partition is 20 gigs with a little more than 11 gigs still free.
    > And it is NTSF. and yes it will let me install to any other partition
    > except this one.
    >

    > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    >
    >> Interesting issue..
    >>
    >> How large is that partition?
    >> Is it FAT or NTFS?
    >> Can you install to another partition instead?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    >>
    >> "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FADB085F-D202-4B44-9D73-4600F839654B@microsoft.com...
    >> > If it helps,
    >> > I been running win xp sp1, and recently upgraded to sp2 about 2 weeks ago.
    >> > but I don't know if I had the same problem before or not because I never
    >> > installed any games until after I upgraded to sp2.

    Reply to Anonymous
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hello,

    Yeah all partitions are NTFS.

    And the sizes of my drives are:
    C: 8 gigs
    D: 8 gigs
    E: 20 gigs
    F: 40 Gigs ( this one is full of music )

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Canonz,
    >
    > Cool, we're getting somewhere...
    >
    > Are the other partitions also NTFS?
    > Are the other partitions less than 20 Gigs?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6A2B56D-B91B-4320-AEFA-916CB7666285@microsoft.com...
    > >

    > > This partition is 20 gigs with a little more than 11 gigs still free.
    > > And it is NTSF. and yes it will let me install to any other partition
    > > except this one.
    > >

    > > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Interesting issue..
    > >>
    > >> How large is that partition?
    > >> Is it FAT or NTFS?
    > >> Can you install to another partition instead?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >>
    > >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    > >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > >> _________________________________________________________

    Reply to Anonymous
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Canonz,

    I was wondering if it was a "large drive" issue, however
    are you sure you can install the game on your F: drive?
    (Might need to move a folder of music over to E: first)

    --

    "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7AFCC97-C396-4DB7-8F2A-FBBAB24C6D35@microsoft.com...
    | Hello,
    |
    | Yeah all partitions are NTFS.
    |
    | And the sizes of my drives are:
    | C: 8 gigs
    | D: 8 gigs
    | E: 20 gigs
    | F: 40 Gigs ( this one is full of music )
    |
    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Canonz,
    | >
    | > Cool, we're getting somewhere...
    | >
    | > Are the other partitions also NTFS?
    | > Are the other partitions less than 20 Gigs?
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >
    | > "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6A2B56D-B91B-4320-AEFA-916CB7666285@microsoft.com...
    | > >

    | > > This partition is 20 gigs with a little more than 11 gigs still free.
    | > > And it is NTSF. and yes it will let me install to any other partition
    | > > except this one.

    | > >> >> > |
    | > >> >> > |
    | > >> >> > |
    | > >> >> > |
> [...]
    Reply to Anonymous
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hello Jimmy,

    Yes I just tried to install it again to my F: drive,
    and it worked without any issues at all.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Canonz,
    >
    > I was wondering if it was a "large drive" issue, however
    > are you sure you can install the game on your F: drive?
    > (Might need to move a folder of music over to E: first)
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7AFCC97-C396-4DB7-8F2A-FBBAB24C6D35@microsoft.com...
    > | Hello,
    > |
    > | Yeah all partitions are NTFS.
    > |
    > | And the sizes of my drives are:
    > | C: 8 gigs
    > | D: 8 gigs
    > | E: 20 gigs
    > | F: 40 Gigs ( this one is full of music )
    > |
    > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > |
    > | > Hi Canonz,
    > | >
    > | > Cool, we're getting somewhere...
    > | >
    > | > Are the other partitions also NTFS?
    > | > Are the other partitions less than 20 Gigs?
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > | >
    > | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    > | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > | > _________________________________________________________

    > | > >> >> > |
    > | > >> >> > |
    > | > >> >> > |
    > | > >> >> > |

    Reply to Anonymous
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Excellent! It's not perfect, but it's a workaround! :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B17CFAEB-8AB8-4A96-9F9F-63FEAC4D2B0C@microsoft.com...
    > Hello Jimmy,
    >
    > Yes I just tried to install it again to my F: drive,
    > and it worked without any issues at all.
    >
    > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Canonz,
    >>
    >> I was wondering if it was a "large drive" issue, however
    >> are you sure you can install the game on your F: drive?
    >> (Might need to move a folder of music over to E: first)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    >>
    >> "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7AFCC97-C396-4DB7-8F2A-FBBAB24C6D35@microsoft.com...
    >> | Hello,
    >> |
    >> | Yeah all partitions are NTFS.
    >> |
    >> | And the sizes of my drives are:
    >> | C: 8 gigs
    >> | D: 8 gigs
    >> | E: 20 gigs
    >> | F: 40 Gigs ( this one is full of music )

    >> | > >> >> > |
    >> | > >> >> > |
    >> | > >> >> > |
    >> | > >> >> > |

    Reply to Anonymous
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hey Jimmy,
    Thanks for your help!!

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Excellent! It's not perfect, but it's a workaround! :-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jimmy.
    >
    > "Canonz" <Canonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B17CFAEB-8AB8-4A96-9F9F-63FEAC4D2B0C@microsoft.com...
    > > Hello Jimmy,
    > >
    > > Yes I just tried to install it again to my F: drive,
    > > and it worked without any issues at all.
    > >
    > > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Canonz,
    > >>
    > >> I was wondering if it was a "large drive" issue, however
    > >> are you sure you can install the game on your F: drive?
    > >> (Might need to move a folder of music over to E: first)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >>
    > >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    > >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > >> _________________________________________________________

    > >> | > >> >> > |
    > >> | > >> >> > |
    > >> | > >> >> > |
    > >> | > >> >> > |

    Reply to Anonymous
  14. 1. Unninstall any hard disk related softwares.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. Let your computer find the drivers for your hard disk automatically.
    If it does not, then try to manually update its driver.
    Once done, try reinstalling the game and see if it works ...
    Reply to Karthik Chandrasekhar
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Games Microsoft Windows XP