Digital SLR Focusing Screens

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 29, 2005 7:24:05 PM

A recent conversation with Bill Maxwell reveals that the hot new thing is
focusing screens for DSLRs. Apparently the more affordable DSLRs are
cutting corners with their screens/prisms, so that a demand for
brighter-more highly magnified screens are now in demand. I know this is
true of the D70 I use. I don't believe Bill himself is making these
screens, however, I know he's been performing his screen enhancements for an
individual who is. For more info, feel free to contact Bill.

www.mattclara.com/maxwell

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

Matt Clara wrote:
> A recent conversation with Bill Maxwell reveals that the hot new thing is
> focusing screens for DSLRs. Apparently the more affordable DSLRs are
> cutting corners with their screens/prisms, so that a demand for
> brighter-more highly magnified screens are now in demand. I know this is
> true of the D70 I use. I don't believe Bill himself is making these
> screens, however, I know he's been performing his screen enhancements for an
> individual who is. For more info, feel free to contact Bill.

Take away the AF and AE electronics and spend the money on a bright and
magnified screen. Thats what I would say to dSLR manufacturers.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:26:57 PM

"Matt Clara" <no.emailz@this.guys.expense> wrote in message
news:o MFQe.251860$576.176014@fe02.news.easynews.com...
> A recent conversation with Bill Maxwell reveals that the hot new thing is
> focusing screens for DSLRs. Apparently the more affordable DSLRs are
> cutting corners with their screens/prisms, so that a demand for
> brighter-more highly magnified screens are now in demand.

Yes, that's it, the demand is in demand...damn. You know what I mean, I
hope!

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:24:05 GMT, "Matt Clara"
<no.emailz@this.guys.expense> wrote:

>A recent conversation with Bill Maxwell reveals that the hot new thing is
>focusing screens for DSLRs. Apparently the more affordable DSLRs are
>cutting corners with their screens/prisms, so that a demand for
>brighter-more highly magnified screens are now in demand. I know this is
>true of the D70 I use. I don't believe Bill himself is making these
>screens, however, I know he's been performing his screen enhancements for an
>individual who is. For more info, feel free to contact Bill.
>
>www.mattclara.com/maxwell

Focusing screens won't make up for substandard prism materials,
poor reflective surfaces of mirrors, mirrors and prisms that are
TOO small for the application.
-Rich

"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
never gave us refunds for in the past"
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 11:02:39 PM

On 29 Aug 2005 10:24:52 -0700, "Siddhartha Jain"
<reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote:

>Take away the AF and AE electronics and spend the money on a bright and
>magnified screen. Thats what I would say to dSLR manufacturers.

I want my microprisms back! <g>

Al
--
[This space intentionally left blank]
Anonymous

> Take away the AF and AE electronics and spend the money on a bright and
> magnified screen. Thats what I would say to dSLR manufacturers.

I don't think such a sacrifice is required just to get a good manual
focusing screen. They should include all of the above IMHO.

I'm strongly considering purchasing one of the higher end screens from this
place:
http://www.keoptics.com/

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 2:59:31 AM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:02:39 +0100, Alan Bremner <alan@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>On 29 Aug 2005 10:24:52 -0700, "Siddhartha Jain"
><reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Take away the AF and AE electronics and spend the money on a bright and
>>magnified screen. Thats what I would say to dSLR manufacturers.
>
>I want my microprisms back! <g>

You can have them back:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

I have one in my 20D and it's outstanding...

"I believe that all government is evil,
in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

From "Mencken's Creed"
H.L. Mencken (1880 -1956)
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:00:47 AM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:24:05 GMT, "Matt Clara"
<no.emailz@this.guys.expense> wrote:

>A recent conversation with Bill Maxwell reveals that the hot new thing is
>focusing screens for DSLRs. Apparently the more affordable DSLRs are
>cutting corners with their screens/prisms, so that a demand for
>brighter-more highly magnified screens are now in demand. I know this is
>true of the D70 I use. I don't believe Bill himself is making these
>screens, however, I know he's been performing his screen enhancements for an
>individual who is. For more info, feel free to contact Bill.
>
>www.mattclara.com/maxwell

Another source for them.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

I have one in my 20D and it's outstanding.

"I believe that all government is evil,
in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

From "Mencken's Creed"
H.L. Mencken (1880 -1956)
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:01:35 AM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:50:11 GMT, "Beach Bum"
<e.cartman@southpark.com> wrote:

>> Take away the AF and AE electronics and spend the money on a bright and
>> magnified screen. Thats what I would say to dSLR manufacturers.
>
>I don't think such a sacrifice is required just to get a good manual
>focusing screen. They should include all of the above IMHO.
>
>I'm strongly considering purchasing one of the higher end screens from this
>place:
>http://www.keoptics.com/

I have one in my 20D and it's excellent.

"I believe that all government is evil,
in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

From "Mencken's Creed"
H.L. Mencken (1880 -1956)
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:09:47 AM

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:24:05 GMT, "Matt Clara"
> <no.emailz@this.guys.expense> wrote:
>
>>A recent conversation with Bill Maxwell reveals that the hot new thing is
>>focusing screens for DSLRs. Apparently the more affordable DSLRs are
>>cutting corners with their screens/prisms, so that a demand for
>>brighter-more highly magnified screens are now in demand. I know this is
>>true of the D70 I use. I don't believe Bill himself is making these
>>screens, however, I know he's been performing his screen enhancements for
>>an
>>individual who is. For more info, feel free to contact Bill.
>>
>>www.mattclara.com/maxwell
>
> Focusing screens won't make up for substandard prism materials,
> poor reflective surfaces of mirrors, mirrors and prisms that are
> TOO small for the application.
> -Rich

If they're brighter, they're brighter, so it does help make up for it.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

Matt Clara wrote:
> A recent conversation with Bill Maxwell reveals that the hot new
> thing is focusing screens for DSLRs. Apparently the more affordable
> DSLRs are cutting corners with their screens/prisms, so that a demand
> for brighter-more highly magnified screens are now in demand. I know
> this is true of the D70 I use. I don't believe Bill himself is
> making these screens, however, I know he's been performing his screen
> enhancements for an individual who is. For more info, feel free to
> contact Bill.
>
> www.mattclara.com/maxwell

I was interested in this idea until I remembered that my EOS AF lenses have
such a short focus travel that I find the process of rotating them
(especially if also the zoom adjustment) to find focus is as much of a
limitation at the screen. So I vote for a vernier focus adjustment too.

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.
Anonymous

In article <1125336292.524731.208460@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Siddhartha Jain" <reach.siddhartha@gmail.com> wrote:

> Take away the AF and AE electronics and spend the money on a bright and
> magnified screen. Thats what I would say to dSLR manufacturers.
>
> - Siddhartha

Your nuts.
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> >I'm strongly considering purchasing one of the higher end screens from
this
> >place:
> >http://www.keoptics.com/
>
> I have one in my 20D and it's excellent.

Thanks for the feedback, John. I read that it throws off the in-camera
exposure meter a little. What's your take on that? Which version did you
buy?

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:25:06 AM

> Take away the AF and AE electronics and spend the money on a bright and
> magnified screen. Thats what I would say to dSLR manufacturers.
> - Siddhartha

I disagree. That would compromise battery power. On my 7D the screen is
only available for text data or for replay of taken images. It can't be
used for framing your shot like P&S cameras can.

I'm very happy with that approach

Toa
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:25:07 AM

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:25:06 +1200, "Toa"
<toa1614@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Take away the AF and AE electronics and spend the money on a bright and
>> magnified screen. Thats what I would say to dSLR manufacturers.
>> - Siddhartha
>
>I disagree. That would compromise battery power. On my 7D the screen is
>only available for text data or for replay of taken images. It can't be
>used for framing your shot like P&S cameras can.

Siddhartha was talking about the focus screen not the toy
LCD on the back ;-)

And I agree - on a camera with an APS-C sensor the viefinder
magnification needs to be at least 1x, preferably more, and
it should be possible to produce a screen with focus aids
and 2-3 stops brighter than the standard plain AF screen.

--
Regards

John Bean
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:25:07 AM

"Toa" <toa1614@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Take away the AF and AE electronics and spend the money on a bright and
>> magnified screen. Thats what I would say to dSLR manufacturers.
>> - Siddhartha
>
> I disagree. That would compromise battery power. On my 7D the screen is
> only available for text data or for replay of taken images. It can't be
> used for framing your shot like P&S cameras can.
>
> I'm very happy with that approach
>
> Toa

The image created by the lens hits the mirror and is deflected up into a
focus screen, which is what you're actually looking at when you look through
an slr. You focus the image on the screen.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

> Siddhartha was talking about the focus screen not the toy
> LCD on the back ;-)
> John Bean

Understood, thanks

Toa
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:56:10 PM

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:39:26 GMT, "Beach Bum"
<e.cartman@southpark.com> wrote:

>"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>> >I'm strongly considering purchasing one of the higher end screens from
>this
>> >place:
>> >http://www.keoptics.com/
>>
>> I have one in my 20D and it's excellent.
>
>Thanks for the feedback, John. I read that it throws off the in-camera
>exposure meter a little. What's your take on that? Which version did you
>buy?

I just compensate about a 1/3 of a stop. If I forget (only use manual
mode) it's easily fixed in Photoshop's ACR.

I got the original because the Plus wasn't available last April.

"I believe that all government is evil,
in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

From "Mencken's Creed"
H.L. Mencken (1880 -1956)
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:31:13 AM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:59:31 GMT, John A. Stovall
<johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:02:39 +0100, Alan Bremner <alan@domain.invalid>
>wrote:

>>I want my microprisms back! <g>

>You can have them back:
>
>http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

Thanks a lot, John. I'll certainly investigate this for my 350D.

Al
--
[This space intentionally left blank]
!