Wireless Printer not recognised

andyholgate2

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hello all. Please help, my patience is wearing very thin !!!!

I have recently purchased an HP Photosmart 5510 all in one printer and I have successfully printed from my laptop computer - no issues and everything is fine.

However my own main house desktop computer is a different matter all together. For some reason this computer will not recognize the printer at all, but does show it in the devices and printers page.

When I use the "cmd" screen and ping the printer IP address it is all OK - sends and receives 4 packets.
When I enter the IP address in my browser it will not show anything. I can connect to the internet fine on this computer and do wirelessly through a netgear dongle.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit on both machines. I have tried disabling avast and windows firewall - all with no joy. My guess is the issue is with the PC and some piece of software is stopping the communication but I'm damned if I can find it or know how to.

IS there anyone who can help

andy

RealBeast

Titan
Did you assign the printer either a static or reserved dynamic address in the router? Windows can be a bit quirky about printers with dynamic addresses.

Take a look in the problem computer network control panel/advanced setting and insure that printer and file sharing and network discovery are turned on and that password protection is off.