New iBuyPower pre-built starts and runs slow upon arrival.

easyspeak

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I recently purchased an iBuyPower gaming rig. I set the computer up and noticed immediately that the start up was slow, even for setting up. I downloaded the windows updates and driver updates. Start up still takes about 5 minutes. This is way too long for a brand new computer. Opening windows or programs takes some time, and the windows lag and freeze up. It feels like working on an older computer that is infested with viruses. The hard drive has a low click any time it retrieves data. Installation of programs takes longer than it should.

My point is this: my brand new pre-built is running much slower than it should. I have considered a few options, but would like your opinions.

1. The power supply is too small to provide full functionality.
2. The toshiba 500GB hard disk is bad.
3. Windows was not installed correctly.
4. Components were not installed correctly during pre-build. (I checked and they seem correct, but still)

My Specs are:

Asus m5a97 R2.0
Amd FX-6300 3.5GHz 6 Core Processor
HIS AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card
2x4GB G Skill ripjaws DDR3 Ram
Generic 24x DVD-RW drive
Toshiba 500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk
Windows 7 Home Premium.
400W PSU (AMD recommends 500 for GPU)

I am doing a clean reinstall and it is going on an hour and a half now, which from prior experience is sluggish and at this point feels foreboding. I have a strong feeling that my hard disk is crap, but what do you more experienced enthusiasts think about my issue?

Thank you for taking the time to read and thank you again for any helpful submissions.

Solution
That sounds messed up and I'd agree it would be coming from your hard drive (or processor but that doesn't seem as likely). When you get windows installed I'd find a hard drive read/write test program...I can't remember the one I used to use. It should give you a read/write value and then you can compare it to what the Toshiba should be running at.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
That sounds messed up and I'd agree it would be coming from your hard drive (or processor but that doesn't seem as likely). When you get windows installed I'd find a hard drive read/write test program...I can't remember the one I used to use. It should give you a read/write value and then you can compare it to what the Toshiba should be running at.

Solution

easyspeak

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I got a tech assistant on chat at the iBuyPower website. He said I should try removing a stick of ram. I did and now my computer is running just like it should. So it was a memory hookup I'm guessing, but now I don't know what to do about putting my other stick back in and fixing the problem.

easyspeak

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I put the other stick back in, so I have both of the original sticks in and it is running fine. I am going to simply assume one was knocked loose or simply wasn't snapped in right. Looks like this problem is solved.

easyspeak

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
After doing a clean reinstall of windows and installing my drivers, I installed the ati catalyst for my hd 7770 and the computer went back to crawling. I have a 400W psu and amd says the 7770 requires 500. I wonder if this has just been my problem all along. Because after the uninstall I was running off of the chip graphics, with the 2 sticks, and it was flying just like it should.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hmm that is odd. You shouldn't get a throttling of the graphics with low power. Either the card works or the system reboots due to lack of power to the graphics card. The wattage of the psu isn't a big deal either it's all about the amperage on the 12V line. Not knowing what your psu is, it could be underpowering but you wouldn't know it until you played a game and your computer crashed.

When you installed the catalyst driver...was it the one that came with the computer or did you download the latest one off amd's website? I'd go with the one you didn't do and see if that fixes the problem.

easyspeak

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I have to share my iBuyPower experience for future users to gain from.

Crewton:

I actually meant to refer to the amps on the 12V line, but in a hurry I left that part out. Without the proper amount of amps I could experience the overall speed and lag issue I mentioned.

I already attempted to download both, and I am still not having any luck. Now the problem is persistent and the Tech Rep from iBuyPower agrees that it may be an issue with the PSU. He also thinks it may be a bad HDD and GPU as well and wants me to work with customer service to have a 500W replacement PSU sent as a replacement.

I want to note that iBuyPower had some pretty bad Tech Support and a very rude/crude customer service rep that I spoke with. The CR told me to send it back and go else where before he told me that I need to stop bitching. His supervisor would like to work with me to solve this problem, which included authorizing upgrade replacements and a free video game.

The supervisor patched me through to a quality tech agent named Jacob who troubleshooted and helped diagnose with me for over an hour. He called me back to check on my status and told me to call him on his direct line tomorrow to go further.

If you ever have a problem like this from iBuyPower, keep working with them until whatever problem you have is solved. I was unlucky and found the few bad eggs the company has, but they have some good service reps there as well.

I have no clue what is really wrong with my computer, but I do know that I am sending it back after I speak with that supervisor. I will get my computer fixed with the appropriate PSU and hopefully a new hard drive. If I am lucky, I will even get a new game out of the deal for the hassle and verbal assault I received from the CR.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Nice, before I built my own computers I bought one from them but I never had a problem with it. It's good to see someone over there has your back. I hate returning items too...such a pain with the shipping and waiting.

Let me know what the problem turns out to be. It's so much easier when you have a bunch of old parts you can swap out to troubleshoot but it sounds like you just got a lemon.