7750 working, will 7770?

So a buddy lend me a 7750, to test it since it won't run on his pc, and it worked! I have a really shitty "500w" psu with only 8A and 14A on the +12V rails. A few months back I tried a 9800gt and it didn't have the juice to run it.

Anyway I love the graphic card, thinking of buying one, BUT I was thinking of getting a 7770. So my question is will my poor psu be able to run this one if it couldn't power a 9800gt?

I heavily tested the 7750 and it didn't stutter at all, seems like the psu is handling it pretty well, the only problem I noticed is some games occasionally crash from a couple of alt tabs, but that's a crack issue probably.

PS. I also have a "450w" psu with "14A" and "16A" on the +12V, which was also unable to run the 9800gt.
And yes I know, I should really get some decent 50-60 bucks psu, but my budget is very very tight.
7 answers Last reply
More about 7750 working 7770
  1. How about linking the actual models of the two PSU?
  2. They are noname psus so don't think that will help except for the "sucks get new psu" comments, which I am very aware, but I decide to blissfully ignore those facts. Just need some input about whether this would work out or not, and why.

Anyway;
    450w: PDS (Pakom Distribution system) ATX-450
    500w: Codegen model: 300XA
  3. I wouldn't trust them. I had a codegen PSU catch fire directly in front of my eyes (thank god I was able to move the PC away from the curtain before it torched it >.>). Since that day I know that cheap PSU = trouble.
  4. And I'll say it again, I'm aware of the risks, but I'm still curious about the chances of it working with that PSU for a few months.
  5. If you overload a cheap PSU, it has a good chance of blowing up.
    When this happens, there is a more than good chance it takes your entire system with it.
    Scrap getting the 7770 until you get a quality 500-600w PSU.
  6. Meas said:
    And I'll say it again, I'm aware of the risks, but I'm still curious about the chances of it working with that PSU for a few months.

I will not say it will work.
  7. Might work, might not, might destroy all of your components. You have to ask yourself "am I a gambling man?" You said your budget it tight, so loosing everything is probably unacceptable. I kinda' look at everything in life as, if I can live with the worst case scenario then go for it. If worst case is too damaging, then I'll have to take a different route.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics