SLR and SLR like cameras

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 30, 2005 3:24:50 AM

Hi,
I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are going
to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the viewfinder and
image capturing mechanism are same.

Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is qualified
as an SLR why ??

More about : slr slr cameras

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:50:13 AM

alertjean@rediffmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
> SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
> Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
> suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are
> going to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the
> viewfinder and image capturing mechanism are same.
>
> Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is
> qualified as an SLR why ??

Current usage may include the term ZLR (zoom lens reflex) to describe
SLR-like cameras (although I don't particularly care for the term myself).
These cameras tend to have the same shape as an SLR, and have the manual
controls which are lacking in the simple point-and-shoot flat bodied
cameras. There is a newsgroup devoted to such ZLR cameras here:

rec.photo.digital.zlr

Some people demand that on an SLR, the reflex part must be achieved with
mirrors, whereas on the ZLR the reflex is electronic. This does limit the
quality of the reflex finder, and may prevent highly accurate viewing such
as depth-of-field preview or manual focus. For this group,
interchangeable lenses and complete systems of add-ons distinguish the SLR
from the ZLR.

David
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 8:50:06 PM

alertjean@rediffmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
> SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
> Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
> suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are
> going to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the
> viewfinder and image capturing mechanism are same.
>
> Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is
> qualified as an SLR why ??

The term that seems to be used most often with cameras that
have an electronic view finder is ZLR (Zoom Lens Reflex). See
rec.photo.digital.zlr.

I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
the moving mirror.

In the early days of DSLRs, ZLRs were known (at least in my circles)
as prosumer cameras. That was when DSLRs were only likely to
be owned by professionals as they were so expensive.

-Mike
August 30, 2005 8:50:07 PM

"Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
message

> I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
> the moving mirror.

AFAIK it does.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:02:54 PM

"Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
message news:431401a4$0$34319$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
> alertjean@rediffmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
>> SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
>> Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
>> suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are
>> going to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the
>> viewfinder and image capturing mechanism are same.
>>
>> Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is
>> qualified as an SLR why ??
>
> The term that seems to be used most often with cameras that
> have an electronic view finder is ZLR (Zoom Lens Reflex). See
> rec.photo.digital.zlr.

Technically, AFAIK, there are only two DZLRs- the Olympus E10 and E20. They
have (non-interchangeable) zoom lenses, and use a mirror and prism to form
the viewfinder image.

> I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
> the moving mirror.

This is true. It's also why a camera with an EVF shouldn't be a ZLR.

Martin.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:20:25 PM

> Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is qualified
> as an SLR why ??

This website may help
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_dictionary.html

From there

ZLR - Zoom Lens Reflex, a term coined by Olympus to describe their fixed
mount lens SLR type cameras. An SLR camera has interchangeable lenses, a ZLR
has a non-removeable zoom lens.

Toa
August 31, 2005 2:10:57 PM

Beach Bum wrote:
> "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
> message
>

>>I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
>>the moving mirror.
>

> AFAIK it does.

Does the mirror in a rolleiflex move?
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:10:58 PM

"frederick" <lost@sea.co.zn> wrote in message
SNIP
> Does the mirror in a rolleiflex move?

In some it does, in the twin lens reflex (TLR) it doesn't.

Bart
August 31, 2005 3:57:03 PM

frederick wrote:
> Beach Bum wrote:
>
>> "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
>> message
>>

>>> I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
>>> the moving mirror.
>>

>> AFAIK it does.
>>
> Does the mirror in a rolleiflex move?

in my sl2000f, yes.

Jan
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:50:19 PM

alertjean@rediffmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
> SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
> Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
> suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are going
> to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the viewfinder and
> image capturing mechanism are same.
>
> Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is qualified
> as an SLR why ??

I think they're making a distinction between a camera with
interchangeable lenses (SLR) and a camera with a fixed
non-interchangeable lens (SLR like).

The Fuji S5500 appears to be a SLR, just one without interchangable
lenses. Looks to me like when you look through the viewfinder, you're
looking through the taking lens. And that's the definition of a SLR,
i.e. Single Lens Reflex camera.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:53:36 PM

Beach Bum wrote:

> "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
> message
>

>>I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
>>the moving mirror.
>

> AFAIK it does.

Actually it refers to the folded light path leading to the viewfinder.
In the SLR that's usually done with the moving mirror.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 11:00:47 PM

no one <noone@nowhere.nohow.invalid> writes:

> alertjean@rediffmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
> > SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
> > Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
> > suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are going
> > to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the viewfinder and
> > image capturing mechanism are same.
> > Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is
> > qualified
> > as an SLR why ??

> I think they're making a distinction between a camera with
> interchangeable lenses (SLR) and a camera with a fixed
> non-interchangeable lens (SLR like).

Yes. It's a non-obvious, non-logical, non-official quirk of the
terminology, but that's the way people got used to using the terms
from the 1950s until the 1990s, or some such.

And, for many purposes of discussion, Leica rangefinders were grouped
with the "SLRs" during those periods -- because they were 35mm cameras
used by serious photographers. Nobody would have said that an M3
*was* an SLR, but their users shared many of the same interests
anyway. For a lot of purposes, the interchangeable lenses were *more*
important than the viewing through the taking lens.