Best Graphics Card for a 500w PSU?

Hey Guys ;)
So i have a FORCE3D Radeon HD 5750 which requires 500w minimum and i have a Scorpian 520w PSU with 22a on 12+ rail
My PSU is starting to make a strange noise( kinda like burning wood or a creeper (minecraft lol)) and its really starting to freak me out o.O
So can you guys recommend me a suitable graphics card for my psu? And it needs to be powerful of course... :)
17 answers Last reply
More about best graphics card 500w
  1. I'd upgrade the PSU instead before it explodes... I'd suggest this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
  2. Sunius said:
    I'd upgrade the PSU instead before it explodes... I'd suggest this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

    You're recommending me a 430w PSU? Makes sense :heink:
  3. Yes, I am. HD 5750 could run on quality 300 watt power supply unit. The important thing is comes from a reliable brand. See, there's no regulation on power supply labels, so the manufacturers can place whatever label they want. However, there's a certification named "80 PLUS", which PSUs get if they can maintain at least 80% efficiency during 100% load. Since they are tested at 100%, you can be sure that label is correct. If you don't believe me, read this article:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html
  4. Sunius said:
    Yes, I am. HD 5750 could run on quality 300 watt power supply unit. The important thing is comes from a reliable brand. See, there's no regulation on power supply labels, so the manufacturers can place whatever label they want. However, there's a certification named "80 PLUS", which PSUs get if they can maintain at least 80% efficiency during 100% load. Since they are tested at 100%, you can be sure that label is correct. If you don't believe me, read this article:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html

    o.O The PSU i currently have costed me 50 euros (around 60 dollars) how can that be cheap?
  5. Well, I suppose it wasn't cheap. The fact that it only has 22A on 12V rail is alerting; that's how much 350 watt units usually have. However, the fact that it's making sounds and smells bad means it's about to malfunction. And when it does, trust me, you don't want to have it inside your PC, so either contact the warranty service, or get a new one. It could take the whole system with itself.
  6. I am 100 % with Sunius on this one. If you have 22 amps at 12 volts(maybe you have multi rail or something), then the power supply can push 264 watts @ 12 volts. The rest of the power is on the under used 3.3 and 5 volts.

    Just for a comparison, My 300 watt power supply can push just as much and is "only" a 300 watt power supply. I was able to run a 5770(official rating is 450 so i doubt the 5750 is 500) on it jut fine.

    Quality power supplies have more power on the 12 volt rails and are rated to put out full power at 40-50 degrees Celsius, while cheap ones have more of the power on the 5 and 3.3 rails(they are not used nearly as much any more.) and deliver rated power at 20-25 degrees.

    While the linked corsair is rated for 30c(not a problem in a mid level computer anyway), it uses far better components then a cheap power supply.

    By any chance, can you get a picture of the power supply label?
  7. I didn't said it smells and i smelled it btw because i do have a glass case with holes.
  8. nukemaster said:
    I am 100 % with Sunius on this one. If you have 22 amps at 12 volts(maybe you have multi rail or something), then the power supply can push 264 watts @ 12 volts. The rest of the power is on the under used 3.3 and 5 volts.

    Just for a comparison, My 300 watt power supply can push just as much and is "only" a 300 watt power supply. I was able to run a 5770(official rating is 450 so i doubt the 5750 is 500) on it jut fine.

    Quality power supplies have more power on the 12 volt rails and are rated to put out full power at 40-50 degrees Celsius, while cheap ones have more of the power on the 5 and 3.3 rails(they are not used nearly as much any more.) and deliver rated power at 20-25 degrees.

    While the linked corsair is rated for 30c(not a problem in a mid level computer anyway), it uses far better components then a cheap power supply.

    By any chance, can you get a picture of the power supply label?

    Here you go
    http://s11.postimage.org/q7ddbfvvn/IMG_20121213_195759.jpg
  9. Scorpian psu :O , just get a decent psu from a good brand like corsair, xfx, seasonic.
    That psu reminds me of this one :

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=324
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=324
  10. You really should read the link that Sunius provided you with.

    Toms as well as many other reputable sites have done tests and determined that alot of PSUs aren't able to deliver anywhere near the claimed wattage. Some of them shut down, others can go wonky and power surges can damage your components and some of them even meltdown or catch fire.

    I haven't heard of the PSU you have but based on the info you provided they are only claiming it to have 22 amps or 264 watts on the 12v rail. And that is provided their label is somewhat accurate - it could be considerably less. Given that you have stated its making funny noises and smells I wouldn't take a chance on it.

    Seasonic, Antec, XFX, PC Power & Cooling and most Corsair have been proven to deliver what they advertise and often more, stable power efficiently at load and at temperature. Its not worth risking your system on a crappy PSU.
  11. Avenged7x said:
    You really should read the link that Sunius provided you with.

    Toms as well as many other reputable sites have done tests and determined that alot of PSUs aren't able to deliver anywhere near the claimed wattage. Some of them shut down, others can go wonky and power surges can damage your components and some of them even meltdown or catch fire.

    I haven't heard of the PSU you have but based on the info you provided they are only claiming it to have 22 amps or 264 watts on the 12v rail. And that is provided their label is somewhat accurate - it could be considerably less. Given that you have stated its making funny noises and smells I wouldn't take a chance on it.

    Seasonic, Antec, XFX, PC Power & Cooling and most Corsair have been proven to deliver what they advertise and often more, stable power efficiently at load and at temperature. Its not worth risking your system on a crappy PSU.

    Again, i did no said it smells. Yes i read that article, the whole thing actually. But if i'm right this psu would propably be dead by now right? And for some reason the place i bought it from said this is a cooler master psu...strange...
  12. Ok Ok well done :), you guys convinced me to buy a new psu.....
  13. Like the hercules psu, : "If you have one of these, shut your system down and throw it away. NOW."

    So true.

    That's not a cooler master psu, just some cheap brand crappy psu with a cool name, there are many psu 500-700w out there that ain't worth a dime and they sell it at 50$.
    In Europe, the xfx psus sells at good prices, i'd get a xfx 550w.
  14. I am 100 % with Sunius on this one. Don't risk it! Honestly it's not wise to skimp on your PSU.
  15. kristusea said:

    Unfortunately, it is just that, a rather poor(and OLD) design sold at a higher price.

    Just to compare here is a 300 watt unit with just as much power on its 12 volt rail(s). Not telling you to get this as it is for SFF(small form factor cases)

    The little power supply that could :)

    I know some here do not like FSP, but hey this thing and many like it have worked fine for years.
  16. Hey guys i need a hand over here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/382296-33-normal-load-temps-7950# please and sorry to spam your thread OP.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon Graphics Product