Closed Solved

Will a PCI-E 2.0 video card work in PCI-E 1.0 slot?

Hi! I have a Nvidia 9800gt on a Gigabyte ep45-ud3r Motherboard. I want to ad another 9800gt and SLI. My question is, Will a PCI-E 2.0 card work in a PCI-E 1.0 slot? How about performance? Will anything be bottlenecked?

Thank you! :)
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will video card work slot
  1. It should do, there are some exceptions so its always best to check but they are pretty much universally backwards compatible.

    The slot wont make a noticeable difference to performance.

    Mactronix :)
  2. Thank you! :)
  3. Best answer
    Headbomb said:
    Hi! I have a Nvidia 9800gt on a Gigabyte ep45-ud3r Motherboard. I want to ad another 9800gt and SLI. My question is, Will a PCI-E 2.0 card work in a PCI-E 1.0 slot? How about performance? Will anything be bottlenecked?

    Thank you! :)

    That mobo only has one PCIe slot, IIRC there are no SLi capable P45 motherboards.
  4. Mousemonkey said:
    That mobo only has one PCIe slot, IIRC there are no SLi capable P45 motherboards.


    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/10885-gigabyte-ga-ep45-ud3p-p45-motherboard-review-6.html

    Mactronix :)
  5. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli

    yes your pcie 2.0 card will work in a pcie 1.0 slot. it will be crippled to 4X as top bus speed if i remember right.

    that board will not SLI, you will cripple any card to 4X using pcie 1.0 you would cripple any sli to 4X and a single card on 8X will blow them out of the water so to speak.
  6. cancel what i said about the SLI not being possible migraine and i did not look at your link in time to see the 2nd pcie 2.0 16x slot.
    so you must want to use it for physX ?
  7. Mousemonkey said:
    That mobo only has one PCIe slot, IIRC there are no SLi capable P45 motherboards.


    Any reason for there being no SLI boards mouse ?

    Mactronix :)
  8. mactronix said:
    Any reason for there being no SLI boards mouse ?

    Mactronix :)


    I believe all the socket 775 intel chipset-based motherboards with two PCI-E Slots were crossfire only, not SLI.
  9. kawininjazx said:
    I believe all the socket 775 intel chipset-based motherboards with two PCI-E Slots were crossfire only, not SLI.



    Correct. Mouse is quite knowledgeable about these things and I was wondering if he knew why was all. Not really bothered just wondering.

    Mactronix :)
  10. Until recently nvidia only allowed sli on their chipsets. No reason other than that as far as I know.
  11. mactronix said:

    That is a different mobo to the OP's, that's a ud3R the OP listed a ud3R.
    mactronix said:
    Any reason for there being no SLI boards mouse ?

    Mactronix :)


    kawininjazx said:
    I believe all the socket 775 intel chipset-based motherboards with two PCI-E Slots were crossfire only, not SLI.


    mactronix said:
    Correct. Mouse is quite knowledgeable about these things and I was wondering if he knew why was all. Not really bothered just wondering.

    Mactronix :)


    There was an Intel Vs Nvidia corporate hate fest going on at the time over Nvidia's licence to produce chipsets for the then upcoming Bloomfield 1366 socket CPU's IIRC.
  12. Mousemonkey said:
    That is a different mobo to the OP's, that's a ud3R the OP listed a ud3R.


    There was an Intel Vs Nvidia corporate hate fest going on at the time over Nvidia's licence to produce chipsets for the then upcoming Bloomfield 1366 socket CPU's IIRC.



    Thanks MM

    Mactronix :)
  13. mactronix said:
    Thanks MM

    Mactronix :)

    mactronix said:

    That is a different mobo to the OP's, that's a ud3P the OP listed a ud3R.

    Is how that was supposed to read! :lol: :D
  14. Mousemonkey said:
    That is a different mobo to the OP's, that's a ud3P the OP listed a ud3R.

    Is how that was supposed to read! :lol: :D



    I was wondering :lol:

    Mactronix :)
  15. Best answer selected by Headbomb.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards Gigabyte PCI Express Graphics