Sign in with
Your question

Added new thermal paste and PC doesnt boot?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Heatsinks
  • Thermal Compound
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2013 10:19:02 PM

So my system is a little messed up atm because of my current PSU (just bought a Corsair 500 Watt one online though) it would shut down whenever i tried installing a program to the point where it would turn off before i could even enter windows, so it got pretty scary. anyways, i recently applied thermal paste by putting a pea sized bit on the cpu while it was secured on the mobo and then i put on the heatsink to spread it around. so after i put the thermal paste on, when i saw my temps were fairly high idling at 47C i got scared so i took off the heatsink but the paste sorta glued the heatsink to the cpu so it took some force and i pulled the heatsink off and the cpu with it! The thermal paste was kinda gooey and very messy, but didnt drip anywhere besides a little bit where the heatsink squeezed it out. but i checked the pins on the bottom of the cpu and it all looked good, however im still not sure. anyhow,then screen stayed black after i powered it on, and a little while later there was just no signal. im realy scared guys and dont want to have to invest in another expensive part after paying around 700 total.

here are my current specs:

FX 8320 BE stock heatsink
GTX 660 2gb SC
M5A78L-M LX Plus
4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
600 Watt PSU CoolMax(lotsa nasty cables, part of the reason my pc was so hot? anyways i bought new one from corsair)
2x 250 GB SATAs

PLEASE! someone help me ive already had like 1000 problems and after being able to use my computer for a while i dont want to have to wait another month or so because of having to buy new parts. Thanks

P.S. i used arctic silver thermal compound that came in a little needle injector like thing

More about : added thermal paste doesnt boot

a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2013 10:44:59 PM

when you removed the heatsink you could have dislodged teh CPU just check if the CPU is still seated correctly
m
l
January 28, 2013 10:54:39 PM

PanicMaster85 said:
when you removed the heatsink you could have dislodged teh CPU just check if the CPU is still seated correctly

i reapplied the thermal paste and put the heatsink back on, but to no avail!
m
l
Related resources
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2013 11:28:45 PM

Follow the tips in the troubleshooting thread at the top of the forum
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2013 11:29:44 PM

PanicMaster85 said:

He pulled the cpu completely out of the mb
m
l
!