Age of mythology hangs = reboot!! Please help!

Tor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002

I've just installed AOM, but after i've played the game for a few minutes,
the game hangs, and then the system locks. All drivers are up to date. Nor is
this a heat problem. My PC is well ventilated.

Please help me.

Hi Tor,

"Tor" <Tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6606EE60-92D4-402E-9B24-828929DDD236@microsoft.com...
| I've just installed AOM, but after i've played the game for a few minutes,
| the game hangs, and then the system locks. All drivers are up to date. Nor is
| this a heat problem. My PC is well ventilated.
|
| Please help me.

Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.

Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)

1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

--- Tor, you can skip this 2nd step if you're sure it's not heat..
2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com

3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)

4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

Tor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002

HI Jimmy!!

I just updated the driver for my Matrox P650 yesterday, so videocard drivers
are up to date. I've also tested directx.. I have version 9.0c, which i
guess is the latest.

Heat and PSU (Mine is 350w) problems are not present. I have just had my
sytem cleaned a week ago, and changed fan. They all work correctly, and
efficiently.

Chipset Upgrade... Is that my graphic cards chipset you mean?

Regards Tor

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Tor,
>
> "Tor" <Tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6606EE60-92D4-402E-9B24-828929DDD236@microsoft.com...
> | I've just installed AOM, but after i've played the game for a few minutes,
> | the game hangs, and then the system locks. All drivers are up to date. Nor is
> | this a heat problem. My PC is well ventilated.
> |
> | Please help me.
>
> Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
> errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.
>
> Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
> I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)
>
> 1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
> For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
> Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk
>
> --- Tor, you can skip this 2nd step if you're sure it's not heat..
> 2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
> and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
> Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
> heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
> Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com
>
> 3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
> and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
> wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
> http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)
>
> 4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top

Tor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002

AlsoI have a creamware sound card, which is not your average consumer card.
It has some highly sophisticated drivers, and is a lot more advanced than
most other cards. Could there be something with these drivers?

Hi Tor,

Here's what I was referring to with regards to your chipset:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#v11

--

"tor" <tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:412ED201-0F62-4E21-AA3B-7AC899112BD2@microsoft.com...
| HI Jimmy!!
|
| I just updated the driver for my Matrox P650 yesterday, so videocard drivers
| are up to date. I've also tested directx.. I have version 9.0c, which i
| guess is the latest.
|
| Heat and PSU (Mine is 350w) problems are not present. I have just had my
| sytem cleaned a week ago, and changed fan. They all work correctly, and
| efficiently.
|
| Chipset Upgrade... Is that my graphic cards chipset you mean?
|
| Regards Tor
|

| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Tor,
| >
| > "Tor" <Tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6606EE60-92D4-402E-9B24-828929DDD236@microsoft.com...
| > | I've just installed AOM, but after i've played the game for a few minutes,
| > | the game hangs, and then the system locks. All drivers are up to date. Nor is
| > | this a heat problem. My PC is well ventilated.
| > |
| > | Please help me.
| >
| > Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
| > errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.
| >
| > Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
| > I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)
| >
| > 1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
| > For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
| > Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk
| >
| > --- Tor, you can skip this 2nd step if you're sure it's not heat..
| > 2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
| > and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
| > Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
| > heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
| > Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com
| >
| > 3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
| > and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
| > wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
| > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)
| >
| > 4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.

Hi Tor,

"tor" <tor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AB03B11-A4DA-41DD-9EB8-D5AD39160F23@microsoft.com...
| AlsoI have a creamware sound card, which is not your average consumer card.
| It has some highly sophisticated drivers, and is a lot more advanced than
| most other cards. Could there be something with these drivers?

That's possible - Try troubleshooting it using these suggestions:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#v9