Sign in with
Your question

Compatibility Check - Upgrade to old Core 2 system

Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2013 11:02:12 PM

Hi all,

This is my second* homebuild of sorts, looking for a second opinion on the incredibly subjective topic of whether this setup will work. Use is primarily home office type work (excel files > 20MB, large word docs with lots of cross references and embedded files) with some lighter gaming that should only require a lower end video card.

Existing (2009 build) is:

-GIGABYTE GA-EG45M-UD2H
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz
-Western Digital WD Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM
-Antec Minuet350 w/ integral PSU

Proposed upgrade is to switch out the MB, CPU, and RAM for:

-GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V
-Intel Core i5-3450S Ivy Bridge 2.8GHz
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

I know that MB doesn't have HDMI, I'm probably going to pick up a separate video card once I get everything else functioning with the Intel graphics as a backstop.

In addition, I have an extra HD and just picked up a second, interested in thoughts about whether I should stick with the WD above or switch to a different one for this build. Most of what I do is external, so capacity is a secondary concern:

-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ (7200 RPM 3.0GB/s 1TB), previously used (lightly) as external drive and backup.
-Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 (7200 RPM, 6.0 GB/s 500GB)

The Antec PSU is a little bit of a limitation as it's only 380W, hence the reason why I aimed a little lower than most might be willing to go. Next build will probably be in a different case, but I'm not ready to do that yet (I like the smaller form factor and don't see anything else I like out there right now).

Thanks for your thoughts!

* Last time I has a good friend who is a system admin help out a lot with picking parts, so where I didn't get it right, he corrected me but didn't exactly tell me what was wrong.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2013 11:21:20 PM

That looks like a sensible upgrade for your usage .

An alternate would be to use a motherboard with an H77 chipset . The model you have selected wont fit your case . You need a m-ATX motherboard

If the psu is a 380 green it will run it without a problem . The new build actually uses less power than the old

m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2013 11:57:52 PM

Jeffery:

Honestly, I hadn't considered AMD. I'm not very fluent in their products, though, and therefore feel a little uncomfortable about taking that leap without some additional advice. Based on the Intel specs I posted, do you have a recommendation? Would the A8-5500 Fusion be more/less than I need, or is that about right? Also, on a quick look I'm not feeling too inspired by the low-mid cost AMD (FM2) micro ATX MB options. But I have an open mind!

Outlander:

I'm pretty sure that LGA 1155 MB is m-ATX, do you see something I don't?

Thanks much!
m
l
!