Connecting two buildings about 400ft away?

Last response: in Networking
August 7, 2005 4:14:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi Everyone,
I have two clients who are trying to expand their internet to another
building - one case, from their mobile office to their house on the same
property up on a hill, maybe 400 feet away, with trees in between. My other
case is similar, going from their house to their workshop, separated by the
same distance and obstacles... To share their cable/DSL, I've already tried
an upper-level $300 Belkin, I believe it was, wi-fi router which almost made
it (probably 75' from getting the lowest possible signal) and am looking for
suggestions. Wireless must be the only way to go and I'm guessing they'd
need some sort of an outdoor access point to get the best range? Speed isn't
as important as range since it's only to be used for Internet... If they can
get 2-5mb, I'm sure that'd be plenty... I'm sure there are many similar
posts out there but I can't find any as I'm not sure of the best
wording/terminology to search for... If someone could assist, or point me to
a similar posting, I'd be very appreciative... I do know cat 5e and
802.11b/g networking, just haven't been asked to do it with such a large
distance...
Many thanks,
Scott
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:52:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Try a CISCO Aironet 350 wireless outdoor bridge. ($400-$500)
a.. High-speed (11-Mbps), high-power (100-mW) radios, delivering
building-to-building links of up to 25 miles (40.2 km)
b.. A metal case for durability and plenum rating and an extended
operating temperature rating for harsh environments
c.. Supports both point-to-point and point-to-multipoint configurations
d.. Broad range of supported antennas
e.. Simplified installation, improved performance, and upgradeable
firmware, ensuring investment protection
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/p...

"Scott Nagle" <nosoupforyou@someplace.net> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
> I have two clients who are trying to expand their internet to another
> building - one case, from their mobile office to their house on the same
> property up on a hill, maybe 400 feet away, with trees in between. My
> other case is similar, going from their house to their workshop, separated
> by the same distance and obstacles... To share their cable/DSL, I've
> already tried an upper-level $300 Belkin, I believe it was, wi-fi router
> which almost made it (probably 75' from getting the lowest possible
> signal) and am looking for suggestions. Wireless must be the only way to
> go and I'm guessing they'd need some sort of an outdoor access point to
> get the best range? Speed isn't as important as range since it's only to
> be used for Internet... If they can get 2-5mb, I'm sure that'd be
> plenty... I'm sure there are many similar posts out there but I can't find
> any as I'm not sure of the best wording/terminology to search for... If
> someone could assist, or point me to a similar posting, I'd be very
> appreciative... I do know cat 5e and 802.11b/g networking, just haven't
> been asked to do it with such a large distance...
> Many thanks,
> Scott

August 7, 2005 11:17:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Are you using the router antennas or have you fitted some external gain
antennas and what type(s).

I have used a couple of home made biquads which have a gain of about 10dB
and we have been getting reliable 6 Mbs links over some 300 odd yards with
intervening trees and wooden building. The AP is a DLink 604T and the
clients are simple Prism based USB adaptors mounted on the antenna. The AP
feeds a 10 dBi Omni with 3 yards of LMR400 coax so feedline losses are quite
low. We have even managed to reduce the AP output to about 25% from the
nominal 30 mw and still have a good margin even in a rainstorm. Provided you
lock the system down to lower speeds, the problems associated with
multipathing with reflections and not true LOS do not appear to be
significant. If it is only extending the DSL link, then even a 1 Mbs rate is
more than adequate.

Peter

"Scott Nagle" <nosoupforyou@someplace.net> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
> I have two clients who are trying to expand their internet to another
> building - one case, from their mobile office to their house on the same
> property up on a hill, maybe 400 feet away, with trees in between. My
other
> case is similar, going from their house to their workshop, separated by
the
> same distance and obstacles... To share their cable/DSL, I've already
tried
> an upper-level $300 Belkin, I believe it was, wi-fi router which almost
made
> it (probably 75' from getting the lowest possible signal) and am looking
for
> suggestions. Wireless must be the only way to go and I'm guessing they'd
> need some sort of an outdoor access point to get the best range? Speed
isn't
> as important as range since it's only to be used for Internet... If they
can
> get 2-5mb, I'm sure that'd be plenty... I'm sure there are many similar
> posts out there but I can't find any as I'm not sure of the best
> wording/terminology to search for... If someone could assist, or point me
> a similar posting, I'd be very appreciative... I do know cat 5e and
> 802.11b/g networking, just haven't been asked to do it with such a large
> distance...
> Many thanks,
> Scott

Related resources
August 7, 2005 11:17:58 PM

Pierre wrote:

> If it is only extending the DSL link, then even a 1 Mbs rate is
> more than adequate.

DSL in my area is 3Mbs for home use, up to 7.5Mbs for business.
August 8, 2005 1:14:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Like I said, I am doing 6 Mbs easily. Even with a 1 Mbs rate, can you read a
web page that fast!
There are sections in our area that can run gigabit to the internet via
cable, now there is a real problem!

(all said tongue in cheek)

news:D Jqdnf8BXP2SJGjfRVn-oA@pghconnect.com...

!