Sign in with
Your question

Laggy 2d game (with a GTX 680)?? Dumbfounded..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 13, 2012 9:43:33 PM

Hello, so I'm stumped on why my computer is having trouble handling (if that's the case) this 2D game called Tibia. I play Metro 2033 with maxxed settings and get a good 41~ FPS but then my Tibia player has been lagging recently. I have noticed that my anti-virus (Norton) frequently shows a pop-up window alerting me that "The program Tibia.exe is using at least 100% of one CPU". Which is incredibly weird since I've never had that alert me with any other incredibly demanding programs like CryEngine3 with 'High Specs' or BF3... I have a 2600k Intel cpu, not overclocked or tweaked in any way (as of now). Any advice will do just fine!!! :whistle: 
a c 80 Î Nvidia
December 13, 2012 9:54:40 PM

How old is this game? Modern cards down clock to about 1/3 speed when at the desktop or in 2D much of the time, though they normally upclock when used. You might want to check to see GPU usage with MSI Afterburner and is on screen display.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 13, 2012 9:59:26 PM

MAybe the game doesn't use the GPU and it's a CPU based rendering game.
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2012 11:39:39 PM

bystander said:
How old is this game? Modern cards down clock to about 1/3 speed when at the desktop or in 2D much of the time, though they normally upclock when used. You might want to check to see GPU usage with MSI Afterburner and is on screen display.

The game is updated constantly since its an online MMO. Here's a screenshot just so you guys get a hint of how "light" the graphics of this game are tibia or you can just search 'Tibia' in google images.

I checked MSI afterburner the GPU usage is around 60% which is a little shocking since this game has the shittiest gfxs ever o0, I'm getting 500 FPS, Temp 55ish~

@getochkn I wouldn't know to be honest, I still can't believe that it uses 100% of a cpu though.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 13, 2012 11:55:01 PM

Put vsync on, it is stressing the card uselessly.
Or go to the nvidia painel and select the game exe and put adaptive vsync.
Also check the compatibility of the game with windows 7, change it if necessary.
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
December 14, 2012 12:11:36 AM

Dotol said:
The game is updated constantly since its an online MMO. Here's a screenshot just so you guys get a hint of how "light" the graphics of this game are tibia or you can just search 'Tibia' in google images.

I checked MSI afterburner the GPU usage is around 60% which is a little shocking since this game has the shittiest gfxs ever o0, I'm getting 500 FPS, Temp 55ish~

@getochkn I wouldn't know to be honest, I still can't believe that it uses 100% of a cpu though.

Clearly the problem is not that the GPU isn't used, you are getting 500 FPS, that is almost 9 times more FPS than your monitor can display. If things look choppy, it is due to something else.
m
l
December 14, 2012 12:22:00 AM

It’s not the card. The game is using 100% of one of your multiple cores. It’s a single thread application and is probably, like getochkn said, designed as a CPU based game.

Freeware, right? Many of these free game sites are shoe string operations that are operated by families and close buddies that may or may not have the best programming skills.

Note all the Win95 style boxes? That means that the game is utilizing OS functions (what programmers refer to as “Calls”) to save its own resources. Id bet they are using a Minecraft style engine, but have limited resources and time so they put out fixes that work, but the fixes necessitate other fixes to fix the problems caused by the fixing… you get my point? Despite the updates, very inefficient.

The Vsync trick will most likely help but this game is going to continue to annoy you.
m
l
December 14, 2012 1:05:22 AM

YES! I set Vsync to Adaptive in Tibia.exe and it works perfectly now, god damn I love toms hardware!
m
l
!