Ruh - Roh, First time build...

rhoades902

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
I've always been a huge fan of MMORPGs... However, I've never had a box that ran on anything more than medium...

Most recently, my build had to have .cfg tweaks to make rift playable... Thus, I decided to peice together a budget build that would accomplish that, and potentially leave room for upgrades...

I went with:

AMD A10 5800k - I liked being able to play without a GPU. I also like that I could shut it off and get a real one later.
Corsair CX600
Gskill Sniper DDR3 2100
Asrock FM2A75 Pro4

Here's the skinny. Got it up and running with little problems. Loaded my copy of win xp32, made sure it all worked, then went a head and did a clean install with Win 7 64.

Downloaded all the software and such, actually logged in and played for an evening. I did notice however the graphics were lacking, more than I expected...

I looked in CPUZ and noticed that it had 512 mem assigned to the APU. I figured I'd take a peek in the BIOS and see if that was an option. I shifted it from 512 to 2g for the memory to the APU. I also used the guided overclock from the BIOS, very conservatively... BUT, I also believe I changed a setting for the APU, overclocked that a touch....

F10 - save and exit.... Starts to boot, I hear a couple small chirps, and then nada...

I've tested the PSU and have it running in my old rig. But, for the mobo, I tried both PSUs and no lights (Dr Debug or internal power button). Before I disassembled, I tried the case power with unplugged PSU to clear. Turning on the system just twiched all the fans...

Long story short... Is it my board? Or could it be my board AND the CPU? Is there anyway to visually see a blown CPU?

Thank you in advance

Solution

If I understand you are saying your running the 8pin from the power supply into the 4 pin on the mb? That is wrong. The 8 pin is for certain graphics card. You need to find the square 4 pin for the mb.

rhoades902

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
I'm pretty sure... It's 8 and 8 on that and I'm running the 8 pin psu on my 4 pin back up board...

What really scares me... If I amped up the power in to the board and then the power to the apu... Wouldn't that exponentially amp the CPU? And, could it be toast too? I don't see any visual dmg on anything...

If I understand you are saying your running the 8pin from the power supply into the 4 pin on the mb? That is wrong. The 8 pin is for certain graphics card. You need to find the square 4 pin for the mb.

Solution

rhoades902

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
Thanks JNK - I definately had the pins run incorrectly. One thing of note, that board is a TIGHT run for the USB slots on the front... no room for any error. I actually run an external USB hub for anything non-critical.