FPS on skyrim Radeon hd 7950 issue

redbadboy

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hello guys, i recently bought a new GPU. A radeon hd 7950 vapor-x, but when im playing skyrim i'm getting around 30 - 60 max i got was 61 fps,which is realy low for this card. I did a clean install of windows so there coudnt be old drivers on my pc. Maybe u guys can help me out with this ;-)..

I got :

Amd phenom ii x6 1090t
Radeon hd 7950 vapor-x
700watt corsair psu
8gb ram

(i'm running skyrim on ultra, but according to stats my card should atleast gets around 65fps and lowest around 60. Well mine gets around 30fps sometimes.. also i got the newest drivers, so mayby my gpu is defect or something else on my pc.

-redbadboy

redbadboy

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

First i had it oc to 4mhz and i had the same fps. Also i first installed the drivers from the cd i got from the gpu, and than checked if skyrim worked well, and than i updated the drivers and i still got around the same fps.

I'm thinking maby my pci-e slot is broken on my mobo.
Because the gtx 560 i had first my dvi-port didnt worked on that one for some reason, and now i got a new gpu and i get like 1/2 of the performance. Also i a friend of mine got a radeon hd 7850 witch have the same drivers i thought and is getting a stable 50-60 fps all time.

And what if my cpu is holding back the performance of my gpu, would it be that horrible?
because a 4mhz oc amd phenom ii x6 1090t would do the job in my opnion.

So could it be the motherboards pci-e slot?

Tom Burnqest

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

That being said long after the game has been through many patches as well as driver optimizations from nvidia since that article was posted and now Skyrim runs like butter on my GTX 560 SE and AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.5Ghz @ 1680x1050 resolution. I can't see a vastly Superior GPU like the 7950 having so much trouble but I would bet that the CPU is the culprit in OPs case and a healthy OC will bring up performance substantially.

redbadboy

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Well, i first had it OC to 4ghz and i still had the same fps, also when i lower everything to minimum including resolution and i get same fps... i realy starting to think my mobo pci-e slot is defect ;o

you are never going to get more than 60fps with vsync on. and there is really no point turning it off because you will get screen tearing and you wont notice any higher than 60. you want to incerease the lower fps where it dips below 30-40 fps, and a cpu upgrade will do that.

redbadboy

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Well sometimes it goes to around 62fps and than to 30 ;/, but i ordered a new motherboard the Asus sabertooth 990fx R2.0 because i went to the local computer store and we tested the pc, and we concluded that the motherboard was defect.

Tom Burnqest

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I agree with this and this is how i have been gaming on PC since I started gaming on PC in 05/06.

Not necessarily as it is up to the GPU in 99% of games heck even an Athlon x4 runs BF3 maxed and does not hold back a Radeon 7970. Skyrim is fixed and it now runs really great even on AMD CPUs which was not the case at all when the game first launched but drivers and patches have really made the game run good now. OPs problem must be somewhere else as he said he OCed the CPU.

so they had another motherboard and put all your other components in it and it was faster? i kninda dont believe that.