Computer screaming during startup, no output

Tonboken

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I recently placed my computer (surrounded by clothes) in a trunk as checked luggage during a flight with layover. It is a dell computer with a geforce graphics card and not too long ago i installed a gs600 corsair powersupply which takes up most of the free room in the chassis with extra cables.
Problem is that since arriving, turning on the power results in a loud screech-like tone that continues at a constant (and painful) level while powered on. Otherwise startup sounds and hdd light act normally, however the monitor comes out of sleep mode and displays nothing. At any point after initial startup sounds pressing the front power button has the same effect as the i/o switch which is immediate loss of power and the winding down over 1.5 seconds of the screaming noise

Any help would be appreciated, though I am suspecting a graphics card issue as it has never liked being used for 3D game causing the fans to go into overdrive and on 2 occasions crashing the computer when playing dead island for an extended session.

Solution
graphics cards use to have pietzoelectric sirens onboard that would make one hell of a noise if the card wasnt getting enough power, so make sure all the pcie power plugs are properly pluggeg in...
Not sure if the current gen cards have these sirens but at least couple of previous gens did.

bigkid

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
yeah - my first thought was cables against spinning fans or a fan bearing, however the display seems to be the component that's
faulty - I think it's either a display or graphics .... and since there's a noise thats usually from a moving part although electrics can squeal when they're frying - do all fans spin normally - does graphics card have a spinning fan - if the bearing is shot on it you could get a squeal and might cause overheating and corrupt display

Kari

Splendid
graphics cards use to have pietzoelectric sirens onboard that would make one hell of a noise if the card wasnt getting enough power, so make sure all the pcie power plugs are properly pluggeg in...
Not sure if the current gen cards have these sirens but at least couple of previous gens did.

Solution

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

People who post tripe like this needs to have thier ability to give advise revoked on these forums!