xp and online

i can connect online and receive the information on the games online. but for
some reason, i cant join any and they cant join my either. i called my
service provider and i dont have a built in firewall in my modem. ive looked
for a firewall all over xp and still couldnt find one. what do i do?

What online games are you talking about? Are you talking about the Zone or
games which you play online with friends? Which version of Windows XP are
you running?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"mat" <mat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i can connect online and receive the information on the games online. but
>for
> some reason, i cant join any and they cant join my either. i called my
> service provider and i dont have a built in firewall in my modem. ive
> looked
> for a firewall all over xp and still couldnt find one. what do i do?

i have the latest verion of xp, all updayes and everything. i have the
firewall forthe new service package turned off. im tryin to play dungeon
siege. with friends.

"Chris H." wrote:

> What online games are you talking about? Are you talking about the Zone or
> games which you play online with friends? Which version of Windows XP are
> you running?
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "mat" <mat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i can connect online and receive the information on the games online. but
> >for
> > some reason, i cant join any and they cant join my either. i called my
> > service provider and i dont have a built in firewall in my modem. ive
> > looked
> > for a firewall all over xp and still couldnt find one. what do i do?

Turn the Windows Firewall back on, Mat. Then follow the information for
opening the proper ports in this Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320020 There are
two items, dungeonsiege.exe and DSLOA.exe which you need to add to the
Exceptions list for the Firewall.
--

>i have the latest verion of xp, all updayes and everything. i have the
> firewall forthe new service package turned off. im tryin to play dungeon
> siege. with friends.
>
> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> What online games are you talking about? Are you talking about the Zone
>> or
>> games which you play online with friends? Which version of Windows XP
>> are
>> you running?
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "mat" <mat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i can connect online and receive the information on the games online.
>> >but
>> >for
>> > some reason, i cant join any and they cant join my either. i called my
>> > service provider and i dont have a built in firewall in my modem. ive
>> > looked
>> > for a firewall all over xp and still couldnt find one. what do i do?

Hi Mat,

"mat" <mat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:784C2DDC-F3D7-4321-B4B0-B29D37184FC7@microsoft.com...
>i can connect online and receive the information on the games online. but for
> some reason, i cant join any and they cant join my either. i called my
> service provider and i dont have a built in firewall in my modem. ive looked
> for a firewall all over xp and still couldnt find one. what do i do?

Did you look for the XP Firewall itself? Here's how:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/icf.mspx

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

thx for the help. it works now but im still confused on the nat. what and
where is that exactly?

If you post back, please quote the message to which you're responding. It
is much easier to figure out what you're saying. :cool:

NAT is Network Address Translation. It allows your base station or router
to behave as an agent between the Internet (or the public network) and your
Local Area Network (your private LAN). With a base station/router, your
computers on your side of the setup, are represented as a single IP address
(as assigned by your Internet Service Provider).
--

> thx for the help. it works now but im still confused on the nat. what and
> where is that exactly?

WTG Mat - You and Chris fixed that problem and
secured your system again. :) NAT is the technology
used in some networking devices to create private IP
addresses. It's not something you *need* to learn about
in order to open ports in the Windows XP firewall, but
you can always take a quick look at this documentation:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/NAT.html