Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

7970 Reg or 7970 Ghz

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 14, 2012 12:03:23 AM

Should i purchase a 7970 ghz version or just get the regular 7970 and OC myself. Are there any benefits to the retail ghz editions?

More about : 7970 reg 7970 ghz

a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 12:15:34 AM

The ghz editions perform better however, depending on what you want to do with it the 7970 should be more than enough power for some time to come. The GHz edition on a price/performance scale is right about the same as the original 7970.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=618
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 12:16:45 AM

No hard answer. The GHz version is guaranteed to run at the given rate and could run even faster, but not necessarily. The regular version, also is guaranteed to run at the rated speed and may run faster. Some of them may even run faster than a GHz overclocked, but no guarantees.

Unless you are on the hairy edge and need the power, you are probably better off buying the regular 7970 and take your chances.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 14, 2012 12:40:13 AM

I don't think there is a single game that a reference 7970 cannot manhandle so why not save the money.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 12:43:59 AM

I do not like reference cards or coil whine that's why i would rather not save money risking getting a card like that to each his/her own.
m
0
l
December 14, 2012 2:26:14 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I do not like reference cards or coil whine that's why i would rather not save money risking getting a card like that to each his/her own.

I never heard of 7970s having coil whine all i heard is that they are super sexy through and through.
m
0
l
December 14, 2012 2:47:04 AM

I would say if you have the money buy the GHZ,but man dont buy the Gigabyte ones if you are going to overclock,I bougth my Gigabyte GHZ month ago and the voltage is locked,same with the Gigabyte OC one.
m
0
l
December 14, 2012 2:56:17 AM
December 14, 2012 3:03:53 AM

bigcyco1 said:
What are you talking about what game?I never imply the 680 does not. :pt1cable:  i wasn't even aware the 680 was being considered :heink:  oh i see what happened now you got all butt hurt

Just saying Coil Whine is not brand specific. I have had a many a cards over the years from mostly nvidia but a few Ati s and AMD cards and I never ran into coil whine. What I am suggesting is that Coil whine is not common and it is hit or miss with any card you might buy from both manufactures AMD or nvidia buyer beware.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 3:08:31 AM

Tom Burnqest said:
Just saying Coil Whine is not brand specific. I have had a many a cards over the years from mostly nvidia but a few Ati s and AMD cards and I never ran into coil whine. What I am suggesting is that Coil whine is not common and it is hit or miss with any card you might buy from both manufactures AMD or nvidia buyer beware.
That doesn't make sense first you claimed you never heard of coil whine with 7970 then you took it personal when i proved otherwise and went on a NV hate mission as if that was going to bother me.Don't try and tell me a lie.
m
0
l
December 14, 2012 3:13:27 AM

bigcyco1 said:
That doesn't make sense first you claimed you never heard of coil whine with 7970 then you took it personal when i proved otherwise and went on a NV hate mission as if that was going to bother me.Don't try and tell me a lie.

You came off as a fanboy. I just wanted to make known that coil whine can happen on any card not just ones from AMD. I run nvidia in my rig as we speak I am not flaming fan boy's just realist.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 3:21:10 AM

Tom Burnqest said:
You came off as a fanboy. I just wanted to make known that coil whine can happen on any card not just ones from AMD. I run nvidia in my rig as we speak I am not flaming fan boy's just realist.
:sarcastic:  now i am a fanboy :lol:  get real.I called you on your bs now i am a fanboy! Came off as nothing as i never imply a NV card get your story straight realist :pfff: 
m
0
l
December 14, 2012 3:38:00 AM

bigcyco1 said:
:sarcastic:  now i am a fanboy :lol:  get real.I called you on your bs now i am a fanboy! Came off as nothing as i never imply a NV card get your story straight realist :pfff: 

I could have also stated that I never heard of 680s having a problem with coil whine. The thing is that you made it sound like all 7970s have coil whine.
m
0
l
December 14, 2012 3:40:46 AM

Does it matter?

To answer the OP's question. If you don't mind taking the chance or overclocking, buy the 7970, if you don't like to overclock or take the gamble, buy the 7970 GHZ.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 7:53:54 PM

Coil Whine can happen to any brand, if we're talking about fan boys though I've never had it happen on an MSI brand card which happens to be what I buy for myself and tell everyone else to buy, mostly I've seen it on Gigabytes. And I like gigabyte main boards a lot so I don't even have anything against the company.
m
0
l
!