Sign in with
Your question

Port Forwarding off of Win XP Machine

Last response: in Networking
January 19, 2012 2:21:31 AM

Hey everyone
I have a small network in my garage, it's basically made up of a bunch of test servers. Those and a win xp machine are all hooked up to a switch, and the win xp machine also has a wireless usb stick that is connected to my wireless router, and is being used to share internet to the rest of the machines. The test servers along with the NIC card on my win xp machine sit on a different subnet, however.

When I remote into the win xp machine from my house, i can run a second remote desktop in the first session, into any of my servers. I want to do work on them, but its very laggy. Is there a way I can setup a port either on the win xp machine or my wireless router so that i can remote directly into one of the servers?

so if the win xp machine has a wireless ip address of 192.16.13.102, and one of the servers on the 2nd subnet has an internal ip of 192.2.2.4, can i have it so i can make, for instance, 192.16.13.102:6333 forward to 192.2.2.4? If not, is there any other way i can directly remote into one of the servers, by passing the first remote desktop into win xp? What settings would have to be the same across the line?

Thanks in advance,

Tayzirov
January 20, 2012 2:29:36 PM

There is only one way I know of to do this. It works for XP machines, not sure about your servers, but if you can remap their ports too, you're in business. You need to change the port that remote desktop listens on.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

Then you go into your router and port forward to the correct IP/computer. In remote desktop you can then enter something like this: IP_ADDRESS: PORT# or MACHINE_NAME: PORT#.

NOTE, I had to put a space between the : and P above so it doesn't show as a smiley. There should be no space betwen the ip address and port#.
m
l
Related resources
!