Sapphire 6870 running like utter crap?

Well, I'm having a lot of issues with my card lately.. I normally play Garrys Mod, so I don't really see a difference in games, but I bought Far Cry 3 recently.. (THE BEST GAME EVER) but I can't run it at all ultra. I don't really care about graphics because I played through the whole game with low/med graphics (So I can run it over 40 fps) but I looked on YouTube, and people are getting 60FPS locked with their 6870.. So what gives?

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 640, AM3 ~3.0GHz
RAM: DDR2 HyperX, 2GBx4 800MHz == 8GB
PSU: Diabloteck PHD450, 450Watt Power.

See here, he has a different CPU, but the Phenom II shouldn't be that bad compared to the i5 2500K: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bCZSG7xTO8
14 answers Last reply
More about sapphire 6870 running utter crap
  1. Sorry, my CPU is acutually the Phenom II x4 965, and I now have 8GB ram running at 800MHz. Sorry about that.
  2. The phenom II is a good bit below the 2500K, especially with your clock so low. But he's only getting 60FPS because his resolution is very low at 1440x900

What is yours? That's the important part. Also, scary PSU
  3. unksol said:
    The phenom II is a good bit below the 2500K, especially with your clock so low. But he's only getting 60FPS because his resolution is very low at 1440x900

What is yours? That's the important part. Also, scary PSU

Yeah, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference, I don't think. Mine monitor is only 1680x1050. But yeah, I know.. :p I'm going to upgrade pretty soon.
  4. The 6870 is on par with the 7770. As you can see, your performance is as expected

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performance-benchmark,3379-5.html
  5. Get a HD 7850 and you will be able to get 60+ at ultra trust me I have a 7850 and its amazing.

Here is the difference:

DiRT 3 - 1680x1050 - DX11 Ultra Quality + 4xAA
    Frames per Second - Higher is Better

6. unksol said:
    The 6870 is on par with the 7770. As you can see, your performance is as expected

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performance-benchmark,3379-5.html

7770 is a good bit slower than a 6870 as the 7770 is more a replacement and comparable in performance to the 6850.
  7. As the toms review, it quite demanding title...

Drop down the setting, and maybe O.C a little...

anyways it expected as poster above said....
  8. Yeah. I guess. But what I don't get is why other people are running it so well.. Also, Crysis Warhead is another game that just sucks on this card. All minimum. 30 - 60 FPS. Is it just the game?
  9. Oc that 965 a bit, should see a little bump.
    The lower your resolution, the more the cpu speed important.

You will have lower fraps than a 2500k.
  10. pryvisee said:
    Yeah. I guess. But what I don't get is why other people are running it so well.. Also, Crysis Warhead is another game that just sucks on this card. All minimum. 30 - 60 FPS. Is it just the game?

Crysis 1/warhead even suck on GTX 570 and many other cards because it was not optimized well so don't feel to bad. You will have to turn down just a few setting and the framerate will smooth right out.
  11. the FC3 don't run so well at star architecture (phenom II), even FX core (bull...) runs better.. (contrast with general games)...

it's strange but i think the code benefit from scheduling like HT, or amd dual core/module... (it just how it coded, nothing much we can do)

By O.C. the pII it give a little helps... but as always O.C. comes with it own risk..
  12. goldsauce said:
    Get a HD 7850 and you will be able to get 60+ at ultra trust me I have a 7850 and its amazing.

You will absolutely not get 60fps on ultra with that card. You'd need a GTX670 to do even get in the 30s.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/far-cry-3-performance-benchmark,review-32584-6.html
  13. You need to realise this is just a very demanding game - it drags even top-end hardware down into the 30s. Like you said though, you're fine at medium/high anyway - will still look excellent.
  14. As said above. The Card is weak on Ultra.
    But still game looks Nice on Medium.

Always remember the Options can slide to the left. And give better performance :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics