Tags:
  • New Build
  • Hard Drives
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2013 5:31:43 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong section,

I've put together a build from scratch, about $2000. What I had planned on doing was taking my previous hard drives and just dropping them in my new build, problem is, windows7 doesn't like that as I've just learned. I know I have to reinstall windows, but I would find reinstalling 40+ programs to be quite annoying aswell as loosing save games. I store as many installs as possible on my 2TB while booting of an SSD. Would it be possible to back up everything on my SSD to the 2TB, format and reinstall windows, then get the new installation to recognize the installs? Also I'm moving from ATi to Nvidia and didn't uninstall drivers, will this impact my ability to do this? This is my first time building a computer so help is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions let me know please.

More about : bought build harddrive errors

January 29, 2013 5:40:19 AM

I don't think you can just run all the programs from the previous install sicne you are missing a whole bunch of registry entries. Friend had to re install his entire game collection because of this same issue.

Windows cannot in most cases be moved to a new motherboard and even if it works it is not great due to driver issues

Wiping the previous drivers is better than just leaving them there
m
l
January 29, 2013 5:45:09 AM

Okay, so I know it's not possible just to put the hard drives in the new computer, I have to reinstall windows, I've already bluescreened trying. What I need to know is whether I can run a program that will correct and create registry entries for all the programs on my 2TB (not boot drive) after I've reinstalled the OS.
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2013 6:02:20 AM

not sure if there is any program that does that though there probably is one
m
l
!