Sign in with
Your question

Master Boot Record is making me mad!!!

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2002 4:59:14 PM

I've just installed a Maxtor 10 gb hd in my new computer. After I set up the partitions (only one) I try to format the HD. The format starts just allright but after it has finished the "real" formatting, the program says that it can't write on MBR and doesn't finish the format. For all I know, there is no protection in BIOS. So, what to do???
Mainboard QDI Legend V with newest BIOS.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Juhizka on 01/23/02 02:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 23, 2002 5:09:06 PM

So, are you using the Max Blast HD installation utility? Download it a give it a try.

"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done"
January 24, 2002 12:13:52 PM

The MaxBlast Plus program can't process and the program says that "The boot record system type on drive 1 does not match the partition table system type of C. This partition cannot be processed". Could the problem be in my motherboard?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Juhizka on 01/24/02 01:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
January 25, 2002 11:07:17 PM

OK, what type of partitions are you using, Fat32? Fat16? NTFS? Are they both the same? You can check them in DOS by using FDISK.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 29, 2002 10:18:42 PM

Try running MaxBlast, but run the diagnostics utilities (PowerMax.) Within the utilities is an option to run a Low Level Format, which will write 0's across the entire drive, including the MBR. If that doesn't work, you may just want to RMA the drive through Maxtor, and if you quote "No Quibble", they won't make you run any more diagnostics and they'll just replace the drive, no questions asked.
January 30, 2002 2:39:40 PM

also, if that doesn't work, try this

Fdisk to remove all partitions
then type "FDISK /MBR" (w/o quotes)
Reboot
then FDISK to make the partitions

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords
!