Sign in with
Your question

My First Ever Build, Is It Good?

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2013 8:21:55 AM

Hi, well I'm new here so take it easy on me; thanks.
I would like to know what people think of the new build I just did a few weeks ago.
Well I'm only 14 years old so I ain't a big expert or anything at computer building etc so all help is appreciated, Thanks.

My build is as follows;

CPU- Intel Core i7 3770K

Motherboard- Gigabyte UP5-TH

Ram- Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1866Mhz

PSU- Powercool 750w Black 80 Plus (might need upgrading?)

GPU- EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2

Case- Coolermaster Haf 922

HDD- 1TB WD10002FAEX Caviar Black

SSD- 120GB OCZ Agility 3

CPU Cooler- Corsair H100

Fan Controller- Aerocool Touch 2000

Wireless Card- DWA-547
---------------------------------------------------
Peripherals-

Keyboard- Thermaltake Challenger Ultimate

Mouse- Microsoft Optical Mouse-.- shh, I know it's bad;)

Monitor- Hannspree HF257

Speakers- Logitech X-540

Woah, wrote that all up myself, don't know if there is a quick way to get the items posted or something that I can write less-.-
Anyway, I want to know what people think of this so far, I'm hoping to upgrade in a few months if I can, and hopefully someone on here can help me with some over clocking on the CPU? Or does that void the warranty?

Thankyou,
Sorry for being such a newbie.. :( 

More about : build good

January 29, 2013 11:32:16 AM

If this is just a gaming computer, you could definitely save some money on this build.. The i7-3770k doesn't really offer any advantage over the i5-3570k if it is just for games... Games won't ever use the hyperthreading... You could also save money on the motherboard, an ASUS P8Z77-V LK still supports SLI.. Also DDR3-1866 doesn't really offer any advantage over DDR3-1600... You're better off just getting some low latency DDR3-1600.. And yes, you could definitely find a better PSU.. You won't need more than 750W, but that's only if it's a GOOD 750W PSU, not "powercool". Get a Corsair 750W, it's pretty cheap and will handle 2 GTX 680s if you want to go SLI.. What is your budget for this build?
January 29, 2013 12:42:52 PM

dns7950 said:
If this is just a gaming computer, you could definitely save some money on this build.. The i7-3770k doesn't really offer any advantage over the i5-3570k if it is just for games... Games won't ever use the hyperthreading... You could also save money on the motherboard, an ASUS P8Z77-V LK still supports SLI.. Also DDR3-1866 doesn't really offer any advantage over DDR3-1600... You're better off just getting some low latency DDR3-1600.. And yes, you could definitely find a better PSU.. You won't need more than 750W, but that's only if it's a GOOD 750W PSU, not "powercool". Get a Corsair 750W, it's pretty cheap and will handle 2 GTX 680s if you want to go SLI.. What is your budget for this build?

Well the computer will be used for gaming, web surfing, movies, a tiny bit of editing here and there, I had thought that the 3770K due to HT might give me a bit more performance over the 3570k for editing etc. Well I already have the i7 since it was a Christmas present along with the motherboard and ram. I liked the gigabyte motherboard after alot of reading, I had decided for that. Well I had decided on the UD5H but parents said they will get me a good one so I picked the UP5-TH.
As I said the ram has already been bought, I had told my parents to get 1600MHz but they got me 1866MHz so tough luck for me. Ha. Well I don't want a expensive PSU if I have to replace mine due to a really low budget now. The Powercool was used in my dads build but he stripped his pc apart, so I bought the psu off him-.- Is it worth getting something like 850W for the future say I do Tri Sli etc.. Am I alright too put two different GTX 680 in? Or does it have to be exact same? As for budget well most parts have been bought so I wanted to know if my build is fine or do something need upgrading. Like the PSU for example.
Related resources
January 29, 2013 1:06:24 PM

No, you should be fine! And if the parts were a gift, then that's awesome, those are some really good parts! And yes, the 600W power supply should be fine for now, it just won't be able to handle GTX 680 SLI.. Upgrade it if you get another card, but really you should try "only" a single GTX 680 frst, it should be good enough unless you're running some crazy multi-monitor setup... And no, it doesn't matter if the cards are different brands..
January 29, 2013 1:27:35 PM

dns7950 said:
No, you should be fine! And if the parts were a gift, then that's awesome, those are some really good parts! And yes, the 600W power supply should be fine for now, it just won't be able to handle GTX 680 SLI.. Upgrade it if you get another card, but really you should try "only" a single GTX 680 frst, it should be good enough unless you're running some crazy multi-monitor setup... And no, it doesn't matter if the cards are different brands..

Alright good to know(': well all the parts were bought by my dad except for the motherboard which was bought my mum. Got to say, I have some nice parents:3 Anyway, if I find say a Reputable Branded 750W+ at a cheap prince then I will buy it. Well I have cash saved up but I don't want to use it but I guess I will have too; unless dad pays again-.- I won't get another GPU for a few months now so I'm fine for now I guess. Only running one monitor, hopefully I can go three and get maybe a GTX 690 or a second GTX 680.. I had tried The 680 with the Powercool on my dads AMD setup and It was fine(: alright good, I have seen people use 2 different graphic cards, one for Dedicated PhysX and one for the actual game itself.. Or however:L can I do that to improve performance?
January 29, 2013 1:35:25 PM

yeah, you are pretty lucky :p  Adding a physics card is not worth it unless you have an old card kicking around, it is not worth paying extra.. And getting a GTX 690 would be a waste of money if you already have a GTX 680.. 2 680s in SLI would be slightly faster than a 690, the only reason to switch from a 680 to a 690 would be if you are getting a second 690 for quad SLI.. And that's just insane, i mean really who in their right mind is going to drop ~$2000 on a video card setup when a $500 setup runs all games on highest settings?? If your parents are millionaires, then I guess you could just for bragging rights, but really it wouldn't be worth it...
January 29, 2013 1:55:28 PM

dns7950 said:
yeah, you are pretty lucky :p  Adding a physics card is not worth it unless you have an old card kicking around, it is not worth paying extra.. And getting a GTX 690 would be a waste of money if you already have a GTX 680.. 2 680s in SLI would be slightly faster than a 690, the only reason to switch from a 680 to a 690 would be if you are getting a second 690 for quad SLI.. And that's just insane, i mean really who in their right mind is going to drop ~$2000 on a video card setup when a $500 setup runs all games on highest settings?? If your parents are millionaires, then I guess you could just for bragging rights, but really it wouldn't be worth it...

I guess I am too, all my friends say it to be honest with you, aha:3 hmm, alright then, well no, since I don't have a spare old card laying around anywhere; but does it improve performance having a PhysX card with a normal card?.. Just wondering to be honest, but I think il stick with one card. Hmm, true true, well then I wil get another 680 when I have enough cash and then I should get some good performance.. Hopefully.. Nooo:o  never, I wouldn't ever buy two GTX 690 since that is expensive.. Ha :p  well some people actually do spend that much.. Hmm, need to go rob them of their rig;) well do you think my rig can run games on max settings? Well most of them anyway.. I wish my parents were millionaires but sadly, they ain't. Uncle is though but he never gets me anything): hmm, well I am the only kid I know who does like computer build and everything so yeah, I got that to brag about;P
January 29, 2013 2:21:29 PM

idk, a dedicated PhysX card MIGHT give you a couple extra FPS in SOME games that use it, but it is totally unnecesary when you are using a GTX 680... yes, you should be able to run all games at max settings (unless you will be running 3 monitors)... One thing I might suggest is try a larger higher resolution monitor rather than multiple monitors.. I know it's just my own preference, but I would much rather have a 27"-30" monitor running at 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 than 3 21"-23" 1080p monitors.. The gaps with the bezels.. just UGHH...And yeah, this build is definitely something to brag about, i'm kinda jealous! lol
January 29, 2013 2:36:21 PM

dns7950 said:
idk, a dedicated PhysX card MIGHT give you a couple extra FPS in SOME games that use it, but it is totally unnecesary when you are using a GTX 680... yes, you should be able to run all games at max settings (unless you will be running 3 monitors)... One thing I might suggest is try a larger higher resolution monitor rather than multiple monitors.. I know it's just my own preference, but I would much rather have a 27"-30" monitor running at 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 than 3 21"-23" 1080p monitors.. The gaps with the bezels.. just UGHH...And yeah, this build is definitely something to brag about, i'm kinda jealous! lol

Hmm, alright then, to be honest it doesn't seem like it is worth it then, il just hold out with the one 680 for now.. My Dads 1100T and GTX 580 couldn't even run Skyrim on low settings, so yeah:L hopefully I can max out most games or near enough maxed, I'm sticking with the one monitor for bow, 25" 1080p. Well I don't think it is necessary for me to get 3 monitors so I might take your advice and get a 2560x1440 monitor. Is there a big difference In quality compared to 1080p? I seen two monitors, but that does not work out at all due to the crosshair in the middle bezels-.- My build is scary.. I powered it on before I had all parts, and I got my finger trapped in the fan and it cut open-.- and oh no! Don't be jealous, il give you it for freeeeee;)
January 29, 2013 2:38:50 PM

I'd go with the MSI GTX680 TWIN FROZR 4GB card myself
January 29, 2013 2:50:41 PM

patrick47018 said:
I'd go with the MSI GTX680 TWIN FROZR 4GB card myself

If I had the money I would buy it..but nope, I don't, so yeah:( 
January 29, 2013 2:51:31 PM

an 1100T and 580 couldn't play skyrim on low settings!?!? Something's wrong there, that build should at least handle medium settings with no problem whatsoever...
January 29, 2013 2:54:59 PM

dns7950 said:
an 1100T and 580 couldn't play skyrim on low settings!?!? Something's wrong there, that build should at least handle medium settings with no problem whatsoever...

Exactly, that's what I thought too! Whatever I did I couldn't get Skyrim to work.. I could max Metro 2033 out on that, crysis 2 etc but not Skyrim. The CPU was over clocked to 4.15GHz and it was a ASUS Direct CU II GTX 580. I had hoped it would work for Skyrim..
!