Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When i play games, i insert the CD into the CD drive, then the game starts
up. But after the brief loading screen, the computer automatically reboots
itself-it has a blue screen with some writing, but this disappears too
quickly for me to read it, and the pc restarts.
Can someone please help, this problem has only developed recently, before i
had no issues with this.

The first things I would do is make sure you have enough memory to run the
games. If you do my next step would be to run a virus scan, and an adware
scan. Ad-aware se and/or sprbot are both free and very good. You might also
want to run the video diagnostic and update you driver

"Rob" wrote:

> When i play games, i insert the CD into the CD drive, then the game starts
> up. But after the brief loading screen, the computer automatically reboots
> itself-it has a blue screen with some writing, but this disappears too
> quickly for me to read it, and the pc restarts.
> Can someone please help, this problem has only developed recently, before i
> had no issues with this.

Hi Rob,

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93AAFE87-1EB1-4381-AAAB-02260F0FCA6A@microsoft.com...
> When i play games, i insert the CD into the CD drive, then the game starts
> up. But after the brief loading screen, the computer automatically reboots
> itself-it has a blue screen with some writing, but this disappears too
> quickly for me to read it, and the pc restarts.
> Can someone please help, this problem has only developed recently, before i
> had no issues with this.

Your system is set to restart automatically after STOP events.

To stop this behavior go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
Click the Startup and Recovery Settings button / Uncheck the box
labelled "Automatically restart" under the System Failure section.

To analyze the error, try the steps in: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

If the error indicates a file name that begins with ati, or nv (nVidia)
the most likely solution would be to install the latest drivers using
the instructions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I analysed the error, it says my cdrom has a bad block.
What does this mean, and is there anyway to fix it?
What is more strange is that i can play a few games, but most don't work.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93AAFE87-1EB1-4381-AAAB-02260F0FCA6A@microsoft.com...
> > When i play games, i insert the CD into the CD drive, then the game starts
> > up. But after the brief loading screen, the computer automatically reboots
> > itself-it has a blue screen with some writing, but this disappears too
> > quickly for me to read it, and the pc restarts.
> > Can someone please help, this problem has only developed recently, before i
> > had no issues with this.
>
> Your system is set to restart automatically after STOP events.
>
> To stop this behavior go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
> Click the Startup and Recovery Settings button / Uncheck the box
> labelled "Automatically restart" under the System Failure section.
>
> To analyze the error, try the steps in: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> If the error indicates a file name that begins with ati, or nv (nVidia)
> the most likely solution would be to install the latest drivers using
> the instructions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>

> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top

Hi Rob,

You might just need to clean your CD ROM and CD's.
They have kits available for that at most tech shops now. :)

--

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C9F0E27-DF57-4B93-B2AB-6DBD03AF912F@microsoft.com...
>I analysed the error, it says my cdrom has a bad block.
> What does this mean, and is there anyway to fix it?
> What is more strange is that i can play a few games, but most don't work.
>
> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93AAFE87-1EB1-4381-AAAB-02260F0FCA6A@microsoft.com...
>> > When i play games, i insert the CD into the CD drive, then the game starts
>> > up. But after the brief loading screen, the computer automatically reboots
>> > itself-it has a blue screen with some writing, but this disappears too
>> > quickly for me to read it, and the pc restarts.
>> > Can someone please help, this problem has only developed recently, before i
>> > had no issues with this.
>>
>> Your system is set to restart automatically after STOP events.
>>
>> To stop this behavior go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
>> Click the Startup and Recovery Settings button / Uncheck the box
>> labelled "Automatically restart" under the System Failure section.
>>
>> To analyze the error, try the steps in: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>>
>> If the error indicates a file name that begins with ati, or nv (nVidia)
>> the most likely solution would be to install the latest drivers using
>> the instructions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your help so far, but the problem still isn't fixed.
Here's the message i get when i get the STOP error:
***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x000001EE, 0xEF984CC8, 0x00000000)
I have updated my drivers and the problem still exists.
The final piece of advice it gives me is to alter my BIOS memory options,
e.g caching/ shadowing. Any idea what this means?
When it says i have an error with my cd rom (a bad block), why does this
only affect certain games and not others?

Thanks,
Rob

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> You might just need to clean your CD ROM and CD's.
> They have kits available for that at most tech shops now. :)
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C9F0E27-DF57-4B93-B2AB-6DBD03AF912F@microsoft.com...
> >I analysed the error, it says my cdrom has a bad block.
> > What does this mean, and is there anyway to fix it?
> > What is more strange is that i can play a few games, but most don't work.
> >
> > "Jimmy S." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Rob,

> >> Your system is set to restart automatically after STOP events.
> >>
> >> To stop this behavior go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
> >> Click the Startup and Recovery Settings button / Uncheck the box
> >> labelled "Automatically restart" under the System Failure section.
> >>
> >> To analyze the error, try the steps in: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
> >>
> >> If the error indicates a file name that begins with ati, or nv (nVidia)
> >> the most likely solution would be to install the latest drivers using
> >> the instructions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>

> >> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> >> _________________________________________________________

Same CD-Rom drive or on anothr unit?? It may be that the CDs the cause the
problem have used more disc space and the C-Rom drive is "flaky" from that
position on. Have you tried the game on a different PC or CD-Rom drive??

> Hi Jimmy,
>
> Thanks for your help so far, but the problem still isn't fixed.
> Here's the message i get when i get the STOP error:
> ***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x000001EE, 0xEF984CC8, 0x00000000)
> I have updated my drivers and the problem still exists.
> The final piece of advice it gives me is to alter my BIOS memory options,
> e.g caching/ shadowing. Any idea what this means?
> When it says i have an error with my cd rom (a bad block), why does this
> only affect certain games and not others?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob
>
> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> You might just need to clean your CD ROM and CD's.
>> They have kits available for that at most tech shops now. :)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
>> MS Assisted Support:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
>> rights.
>>
>> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I analysed the error, it says my cdrom has a bad block.
>> > What does this mean, and is there anyway to fix it?
>> > What is more strange is that i can play a few games, but most don't
>> > work.

Hi Rob,

What method did you use to clean your CD ROM/CD's?