Sign in with
Your question

Will Any Graphics Card Fit in My Case?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2012 5:55:34 AM

I just purchased the SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card and i was really looking forward to installing it, but when i tried putting it in, I realized that my pc only has 1; I repeat ONE GPU slot!!! and there are a few cables in the way,(one in particular) to the point where I dont think any GPU would even fit, because the plugs are level, or possibly higher than the slot itself and so close, not even those right-angle plugs would work I dont think. I was looking at a few from Best Buy and even they looked to be just a tad bit too tall! I'm at the point now where i was seriously debating using my dremel tool and removing a small part of the plastic case to make it fit. There's like a 1cm spot on the card that seems to be totally open that i can remove and it would fit perfectly, but I didnt wanna void the warranty. Can somebody PLEASE HELP ME???

More about : graphics card fit case

December 17, 2012 4:33:23 AM

lxserrano said:
I just purchased the SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card and i was really looking forward to installing it, but when i tried putting it in, I realized that my pc only has 1; I repeat ONE GPU slot!!! and there are a few cables in the way,(one in particular) to the point where I dont think any GPU would even fit, because the plugs are level, or possibly higher than the slot itself and so close, not even those right-angle plugs would work I dont think. I was looking at a few from Best Buy and even they looked to be just a tad bit too tall! I'm at the point now where i was seriously debating using my dremel tool and removing a small part of the plastic case to make it fit. There's like a 1cm spot on the card that seems to be totally open that i can remove and it would fit perfectly, but I didnt wanna void the warranty. Can somebody PLEASE HELP ME???

To help guide you guys through this a little bit better, I made my profile picture a picture of my PCI slot. the SATA cable on the right side of the image is what;s blocking my graphics card from being installed. I am thinking of trying out those right angle SATA connectors, but I think that they will still be too high up or close to the PCI slot. This is why I am debating cutting off a small section of the plastic housing on my new GPU. Again though, I would really like to avoid that if at all possible.
m
l
December 17, 2012 6:09:13 AM

what motherboard and case do you have? maybe i'm missing it but i cant figure out how to get the picture bigger. also a full picture of the motherboard would also be helpful.
m
l
Related resources
December 17, 2012 7:44:50 AM

jonjonjon said:
what motherboard and case do you have? maybe i'm missing it but i cant figure out how to get the picture bigger. also a full picture of the motherboard would also be helpful.

Sorry about that. I kept trying to post a larger picture but the forum wouldn't take jpeg images. The picture I have as my profile image doesn't show much; just simply the single PCI express slot, with the SATA cable right next to it. The long black slot is the PCI express slot that I am trying to put my graphics card in, and the cable that's getting in the way is the gray cable with the Blue tape at the end of it, at the top right of the picture. Here's a link to my pc. It's a Walmart exclusive(which is making things slightly more difficult as well). Everything except additional RAM and a new PSU are factory parts.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AM3470G-UW10P-Desktop-PC...
m
l
December 18, 2012 1:33:14 AM

bl00dyMurd3r said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's about as good as it gets for a single slot solution.

Not the best card, but it does the job. I have the sapphire mini itx version of that card and it runs A LOT of games very well @ 1080p :D 

well thank you for your response! I really appreciate it! I tried to force my card in one more time today and somehow managed to get it in, but I don't think its the most secure thing in the world. It fits and works for now so I'll stick with it, but I don't know how long it will last, in which case I'll definitely go with your card:) 
m
l
!