Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PCI-E X16 3.0 work on 2.0?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2012 6:30:33 AM

Major headache for me.....

I am trying to upgrade this Toaster's Graphic card.

Factory
Lenovo H405
Anthlon X4 650
1T HDD
4GB DDR3

PCI Expsress X16 2.0

The card I have ordered from future shop is on it's way.

EVGA GeForce GT 640 4GB DDR3 PCI-E Video Card X16 3.0 (04G-P4-2647-KR)

I know I need to buy a new power supply. 400 watt should do even tho it use's 300 watt.

I am gonna remove everything from the original tower and put it in a new tower with more air flow and cool down. I will also upgrade the ram with a 4gb giving me 6gb ddr3.

There is to many threads out there and it's really messing with my head. I see it will work, I see it wont work. I really need help with whats gonna happen when I rebuild this Toaster. Is this gonna work or not.

Thanks for taken the time to read and helping me out.

More about : pci x16 work

December 14, 2012 6:38:40 AM

Ok i was just wondering does it come with bread so i can toast it or do i have to buy my own bread? Just don't feel like having to upgrade my toaster and also have to pay for the bread to toast?
Score
December 14, 2012 6:44:41 AM

jamesthecaveman said:
Ok i was just wondering does it come with bread so i can toast it or do i have to buy my own bread? Just don't feel like having to upgrade my toaster and also have to pay for the bread to toast?

You must have thought you clicked on kijji in your bookmarks, only to click on Tom's to be told you have to buy your own bread. Sadly only 1 element is working plus the cord is chewed up. But hey, you are the first to reply and made my day.

You won a reach around! happy! :o 
Score
Related resources
December 14, 2012 6:46:46 AM

But all :pt1cable:  aside... do you think its gonna work?
Score
December 14, 2012 6:50:04 AM

/facepalm
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 6:52:01 AM

A nvidia 640 Card will run ok on a Pci-e 2.0 slot the card by rights should support the lower interface, though i would say 4gb of on board memory is a bit much as it would only be of major benefit if you were running a higher power graphics card at max graphics settings.
The extra memory should work also as long as you make sure you have four memory dimm slots and you put the sticks in the right order to get dual channel memory mode. Match them in the right dim memory slots. Make sure they are of the same speed and timings of the 2*2Gb memory sticks you already have in the pc. One more tip dont buy a cheap Psu for the system buy a quality one look for a seasonic,ocz xfx, or something with a good brand name and quality, www.overclockers.co.uk. It may cost you a bit more money but they are worth the investment maybe consider a 550w to be on the safe side.
December 14, 2012 6:55:22 AM

Hi there. Yes a PCI-E X16 3.0 card work on PCI-E X16 2.0 Mainboard.
Score
December 14, 2012 6:56:38 AM

Best answer selected by brummell76.
Score
!