Cloning HD to transfer OS

harsh_hk

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I had a low end all-in-one Compaq CQ1-1030IN that came with Win7. Its now useless because an IC has been burnt due to overheating. I have an assembled PC without an OS. Is it possible to migrate Win7 on this assembled PC after I insert the HD from my non-functioning all-in-one to it ? How ?

Solution
Hello Harsh_hk :hello:

In my experience you can't, with a new PC your better off with a clean install, no old drivers and registry errors to clog things up. I only use a clone in a HDD replacement scenario when your using the same PC. The version of Windows 7 on a pre-manufactured PC is OEM, which is non transferable, it can only be used on that PC. I usually Install fresh, if you don't have a windows install disk ask a friend, enter no key at install and then use this place for keys, they're cheap, and use the Key Update Tool afterwords and it will be genuine.

Just my 2 cents do with it what you will.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hello Harsh_hk :hello:

In my experience you can't, with a new PC your better off with a clean install, no old drivers and registry errors to clog things up. I only use a clone in a HDD replacement scenario when your using the same PC. The version of Windows 7 on a pre-manufactured PC is OEM, which is non transferable, it can only be used on that PC. I usually Install fresh, if you don't have a windows install disk ask a friend, enter no key at install and then use this place for keys, they're cheap, and use the Key Update Tool afterwords and it will be genuine.

Just my 2 cents do with it what you will.

Solution