Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU bottlenecking my GTX660?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2012 2:29:15 PM

Hello, I recently bought an ASUS GTX660 Top and was wondering if I am getting bottlenecked..

Here are my specs:

580W PSU
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-core @ ~2.6GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
ASROCK N68-s mobo, AM2( ), (AM3) socket
ASUS GTX660 Top (NON-TI)

So... Am I getting bottlenecked?

I was getting around 30 FPS on Far Cry 3 with settings on ultra and MSAA disabled..

Note: Also noticed not getting 90-100% GPU Usage..
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 2:40:37 PM

no your cpu is not bottlenecking your graphics card since the gtx 660 non ti is a mid range card.
the reason you are getting such low fps is because far cry 3 is a very demanding game and no mid range graphics card cab pull of satisfactory frame rates on ultra settings.
if you look at this you would know that your frame rates are perfectly normal
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performan...
so i suggest you play far cry 3 on high or very high but not on ultra
Related resources
December 14, 2012 2:42:37 PM

mohit9206 said:
no your cpu is not bottlenecking your graphics card since the gtx 660 non ti is a mid range card.
the reason you are getting such low fps is because far cry 3 is a very demanding game and no mid range graphics card cab pull of satisfactory frame rates on ultra settings.
if you look at this you would know that your frame rates are perfectly normal
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performan...
so i suggest you play far cry 3 on high or very high but not on ultra

I alsno noticed im not getting 90-100% GPU Usage.. Might this be a bottleneck?
I know someone who uses a Radeon HD 7850 and an i5 processor, gets around 50-60 fps..
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 3:02:59 PM

burbee said:
I alsno noticed im not getting 90-100% GPU Usage.. Might this be a bottleneck?
I know someone who uses a Radeon HD 7850 and an i5 processor, gets around 50-60 fps..

try overclocking your cpu to above 3.0ghz to reduce the bottleneck
December 14, 2012 3:04:03 PM

I've never done overclocking, how failsafe can it be? :p 
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 3:05:23 PM

u still use a phenom withouc OC in gaming?
OC your cpu and u will definately get better FPS.
December 14, 2012 3:05:38 PM

Your bottleneck most likely is the memory controller (DDR2) and CPU possibly. Try overclocking your RAM and CPU and benchmark the game again.

I think you will be happy with the results...
December 14, 2012 3:09:11 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
u still use a phenom withouc OC in gaming?
OC your cpu and u will definately get better FPS.

Yeah never felt the need to OC... Until now. Are there any good guides for my processor type?
a c 290 U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 3:25:16 PM

burbee said:

And I know that he's a big fat liar. Even GTX 680 gets only around 45 fps at ultra settings.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 3:36:24 PM

Sunius said:
And I know that he's a big fat liar. Even GTX 680 gets only around 45 fps at ultra settings.

It all depends on what is on or off or at what detail you play. Your CPU is ancient and depending on your MB specs see what you could upgrade to...
You can upgrade to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
But make sure your MB can handle 125W CPU
However check if your MB supports it.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 3:40:07 PM

Sunius said:

c.mon sunius i dont he lied.
he was just playing at 720p :lol: 

and for OC guides me typing would take a lot of time.
just google it and u've tons of guides.
just make sure u've read a couple of them watch a few videos etc. before u OC.
coz for the first timers it might be overwhelming, but still not a big deal
ALL the phenom users do it ;) 
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 3:47:29 PM

overclock by increasing thebase clock speed in your BIOS or if yu have a k series cpu then increase the multiplier to achieve higher clock speeds and then stress test the cpu with furmark to test the stability of the overclock
December 14, 2012 3:50:18 PM

Yes, your cpu is limiting your performance. You should see if your motherboard will support a Phenom II 965, at least, and drop that into your machine. Tigerdirect.com has an OEM version (no heatsink include) available for around $75 USD. That would greatly improve your performance.

As for OC'ing your 9950, you could up the multiplier, but with that comes extra heat and diminishing returns on performance. It's almost a 5 year old CPU and there isn't a whole lot to do to help it perform better.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 4:12:56 PM

Check your CPU usage versus your GPU usage. If your CPU is at/near 100% usage and your GPU is not, you may have a CPU bottleneck. Another test is try lowering your in-game graphic settings. If you don't see an increased framerate, you may be CPU limited (the game engine and graphic drivers also affect this).

No one can really tell you yes/no that you are CPU bottlenecked without more in-game data. And you may be bottlenecked in one game while not be bottlenecked in another.
December 14, 2012 5:05:48 PM

Thanks for all replies, has been very helpful! I will look to upgrade sometime soon
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 5:42:55 PM

hey i have an idea 4 u
if u can wait until another half a year intel will have new haswell cpu's
in mid next year.
that are supposed to be a lot better than the 3rd gen i series was above the 2nd gen.
and it comes with a new socket!! which might last another year!!
or if u dont want to wait that long just get an i3 3220 with a b75 mobo right now and get rid of the bottleneck instantly!!
!