Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help me beat this DELL system. Needed for professional photo editing

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2013 5:29:02 PM

Hello peeps...

So I'm trying to help a friend out in choosing/building a new PC. He's a mac guy but now needs a PC (woo!). His office is going to pay for it. I'd say his budget is around $1000 USD. He does professional photo editing so that would be his main use for it.

I want to help him build a system rather than him buy a pre-built system. His company suggested a DELL.

The second one from left here ($899.99) : -
He likes the high-end one on the far right for $1099

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8500/pd?t-template=product...!stoneId=undefined

Now I think I could build him (with your help people :)  ) a much better PC for $1000. I went to pcpartpicker.com and did a very quick selection of parts and came up with this: -

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1110.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-29 14:15 EST-0500)

So I'm a little over budget..What's your opinion on those parts? Am I buying anything unnecessary there? Or even bad?! Perhaps too much RAM or is the power supply overkill? Could I get a better video card instead?

And if he insists on buying a pre-built system what's a better company than Dell? (I really don't like Dell, had a bad time with one once).

Cheers!
January 29, 2013 5:44:06 PM

Hello... If your building this for certain software... check for performance or recomendations, for amount of Ram and Graphics card compatability, by that software maker.
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:01:31 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... If your building this for certain software... check for performance or recomedations, for amount of Ram and Graphics card compatability, by that software maker.

Yeah good point. He said he uses Adobe CS6: -
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercolle...

That recommends the Nvidia Quadro 4000/5000/6000 GPUs. Damn they're expensive! Not sure what to do about that :-/
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2013 6:08:58 PM

Hello... they use the same GPU's as standard Video cards... but will have BIO's/Driver tweaks to make performance enhancements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

The point being... Graphics require Great graphic cards... I feel you have way more CPU than GPU in this build... its a great numbers cuncher, but not a great Graphics muncher... PassMark on HD7700=2119 GTX660=4035
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:21:43 PM

Just wanted to throw out there. Does he need Windows Pro? Reason I ask is with Pro you can join the pc to the companies Domain. Not sure how large his workplace is or how it's set up but just something to look into :) .

Heres a link to feature differences in the versions just in case.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/co...
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:32:25 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... they use the same GPU's as standard Video cards... but will have BIO's/Driver tweaks to make performance enhancements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

The point being... Graphics require Great graphic cards... I feel you have way more CPU than GPU in this build... its a great numbers cuncher, but not a great Graphics muncher... PassMark on HD7700=2119 GTX660=4035

Right..yeah you think an i5 would be fine and beef up the GPU to a GTX660?
m
l

Best solution

January 29, 2013 6:42:43 PM

Hello... yes... find a way to reduce the CPU price and get some GPU power... price differences on I5 and I7 models can be due to onboard graphics, you don't need that since you plan on a seperate video card... as added value, both of these can be upgraded later as needed and $$$ available with that motherboard.

Also determine what the IT department requires for Windows versions as unoriginal1 suggested above... You may not have to buy an OS because they have a MULTI License already... this rig will kick Dell a$$
January 29, 2013 6:53:34 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... yes... find a way to reduce the CPU price and get some GPU power... price differences on I5 and I7 models can be due to onboard graphics, you don't need that since you plan on a seperate video card... as added value, both of these can be upgraded later as needed and $$$ available with that motherboard.

Also determine what the IT department requires for Windows versions as unoriginal1 suggested above... You may not have to buy an OS because they have a MULTI License already... this rig will kick Dell a$$

OK got it. Thanks a lot!!
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:53:46 PM

Best answer selected by octoberhungry.
m
l
!