Sign in with
Your question

Proposed New Rig, Gaming - looking for opinions on Parts, Thanks.

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2013 6:02:31 PM

Hi All,

I would really appreciate your advice on the rig in the Link below.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AiZ3

Brief intro - this will be a gaming rig, and also a kinda like my HTPC too, as it will be in my living room beside the tv.
Im looking to save money - but still get really good reliable parts - I am also interested in OC'ing but maybe not straight away.

I will not be buying a monitor (to begin with) I would be using HDMI through my 46" LCD.
I am not sure about OC - so only got a 212+ cooler... when /if i want to OC i would probably get an H100 or something similar.
I wanted a good Power Supply that would have room for SLI and for OC'ing if i wanted to in the future...
I have 2x 1.5 TB Samsing Data drives (1 from my old pc, and one i use externally with my laptop via a usb dock) that i would plan to hook up as slaves to the SSD.
I also plan to get some arctic 5 Tim, but that wasnt on the part picker list

SO if there is anywhere i could save money / have a better part put in i would greatly appreciate your input.
Newegg has Quoted ~$1505 (including Shipping)
Microcenter has Most in stock for ~$1550 (would get Corsair Vengence instead - same speeds etc)

For simplicity I would probably buy all of it in 1 place, and spend the weekend building and tweaking it.

Thank you for reading
Barry
a c 279 4 Gaming
January 29, 2013 6:16:21 PM

You don't need Windows 7 Pro if you're not running more than 16GB of RAM - a Home Premium license will work fine.

Drop the BDR and get a cheap DVD burner - BDR is a pain in the ass on PC. You don't really need a motherboard that expensive - you could get an Asrock Extreme 4 and then use the differences I've made so far to upgrade your GPU to a GTX 670.
January 29, 2013 6:28:34 PM

g-unit1111 said:
You don't need Windows 7 Pro if you're not running more than 16GB of RAM - a Home Premium license will work fine.

Drop the BDR and get a cheap DVD burner - BDR is a pain in the ass on PC. You don't really need a motherboard that expensive - you could get an Asrock Extreme 4 and then use the differences I've made so far to upgrade your GPU to a GTX 670.

Hi thanks for your input.

for the Win 7 - i would want to Remote into this machine from my laptop to access my files, and instead of buying a NAS i thought i could just use Windows Remote desktop (which i dont believe is in Home premium - I could be mistaken)

I tried to pick a cheap BD-Rom - DVD-R so I can Watch Blue Ray films, and use the DVD-R.

I will look into that Motherboard, and as I am only going to be using a relatively low Resolution (through my TV) i thought a 660 ti would be fine - until SLI is required.

Thanks.
Related resources
January 29, 2013 6:37:15 PM

Quote:
I tried to pick a cheap BD-Rom - DVD-R so I can Watch Blue Ray films, and use the DVD-R.

Keep in mind, though, that you CAN'T watch Blu Rays' without additional software, which is a big part of the hassle g-unit was referring to.
a c 279 4 Gaming
January 29, 2013 7:16:56 PM

Quote:
for the Win 7 - i would want to Remote into this machine from my laptop to access my files, and instead of buying a NAS i thought i could just use Windows Remote desktop (which i dont believe is in Home premium - I could be mistaken)

I think Home Premium machines can use remote desktop but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Quote:
Keep in mind, though, that you CAN'T watch Blu Rays' without additional software, which is a big part of the hassle g-unit was referring to.

Yes this is correct - not only is the BD-R playback software extremely expensive (ArcSoft's Total Media Theater is $109 a seat :ouch:  ), it's extremely finicky and takes lots of effort to get setup properly. I use mine more for backups than I do playing movies.
a b 4 Gaming
January 29, 2013 7:32:50 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ak8Q
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ak8Q/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ak8Q/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.26 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($122.75 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($45.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.62 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech MK320 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1224.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-29 16:32 EST-0500)

Base Total: $1348.91
Combo Discounts: -$18.00
Mail-in Rebates: -$20.00
Total: $1310.91

would suit u better :D 
!