Trouble with Windows 7 Installation

KiddHollywood9

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I have DELL Inspiron E1505 (6400). The old hard drive had Windows XP on it. It went out and I purchased and installed a new, blank hard drive. I purchased the Windows 7 32-Bit Full Version today for my laptop. I am trying to install it but there is an issue.

While "Collecting Information", before full Installation, Under "Where do you want to install Windows 7", It lists 3 items:

Disk 0 Partition 1,: EFI, -181.0MB Free Space (System) :
Disk 0 Partition 2 -0.0 MB Free Space (Primary, :
Disk O Unallocated Space -128.0 MB Free Space.

However, below all that, there is a yellow triangular icon saying :Windows cannot be installed to this Partition for each one of them when I click on them. I don't have any other CD's other than the Windows 7 O.S. DVD that I purchased.

So my question is, HOW do Install it (Windows 7)? Do I have to create a new partition? And if so, How?

Thanks,
Bradley

1) unplug your old HDD first... if you accidently format this drive you will kick yourself later, so unplug it, and then re-attach it later when you are ready to move files over

2) on the page that lists your HDDs select 'advanced' and then 'new partition' or 'format' in order to make the drive useful

Other than that it should be super simple.

KiddHollywood9

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Hi,
The old Hard Drive was broken. It was thrown away so there is nothing to transfer. (No files) The new Hard Drive i already in the computer, installed and in place. its only 120GB I think but its a little bigger than the factory one that come in it.

What page are you referring to that list the HDD? only thing I can really do is F12 at boot, other the screen goes black after the Dell logo appears and loads.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
when windows7 setup loads, after you accept licence agreement, there's a window with list of available partitions

you have to click on 'drive options' and then select your new drive which will say (unallocated [capacity]) and click new, input the size of partition you want it to be (100gb is enough for system partition) and make another partition from the rest of unallocated space (or more if you want)

now click on the 1st one and hit next

edit: eeep, just read it's only a 120gb drive, so create a single partition from it, pointless to partition such a small drive into segments

here's the screenshot:
5PS56.png

KiddHollywood9

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I just did exactly as you said... I went into the "DRIVE OPTIONS", selected New Drive, and it only listed 128 MB max....Well, I just chose that. It created a Partition 3 :127.0 MB Total Space, 111.0 MB Free Space...However, it still says "Windows cannot be installed on Disk 0 Partition 3. Under "Show Details", it says " Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of GPT partition style".

Now what?

ziuus1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

You are useing the MB term but I hope you mean GB? If I were you, I would delete all partitions, format the drive and create a new partition. Do this useing the Windows 7 installation disk. Then install windows.

Please note that windows uses some hdd space for system data. So you will be installing windows in the available space on the drive.

KiddHollywood9

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

No, I was meaning MB... That is what it says... Under my BIOS Setup, Memory Info says:

Memory Installed = 1024 MB
Memory Available = 1015 MB

But under Device Info right below Memory Info, it says:

Primary Hard Drive = 120 GB HDD

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
oh dear, i completely missed your hdd is set as GPT

right so... when the setup loads and you get following screen:
h0mJq.png

click repair, then select 1st option (use recovery tools...), then from the list of tools click command prompt and follow this guide (scroll down to OPTION TWO):

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html

after you've successfully converted your disk volume to MBR you can proceed with installing windows

KiddHollywood9

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

As soon as I click "Repair your computer", a box prompts:

It says:

System Recovery Options-
This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows.

KiddHollywood9

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

I bought it on ebay...after reviewing the listing more carefully, it seems it came out of another laptop...The listing didnt say it had anything installed on it though...But it is in working condition...

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
well, you should plug it into your desktop and clean it up within windows since the conventional methods aren't working for you

or if you don't wanna open up your pc, you could download this bootable partitioning tool which you burn to cd and boot up with:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

download link:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

scroll all the way down to Bootable CD - Home 7.1 Full Version (it's an ISO image file which you burn to cd by selecting 'burn image' option in your cd burning software; if you don't have it you can download the one that is listed at the very bottom of the page in 1st link)

once you boot with that partition wizard cd, right click on disk #(#=1 most likely, careful not to click wrong one if there's more than 1 hdd listed) > wipe disk > fill sectors with zero (quick) and then click ok and apply

once that's done right click on it again and click 'initialize to MBR disk'

PRINT THIS FOR EASY REFERENCE.

I didn't think this laptop supported two drives? Anyway, here's the procedure:

0) Identify the BIOS version and UPDATE it if a newer one exists. I believe A17 is the latest for you: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ca/en/cadhs1/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&DriverId=R158849

1) Copy all the data, export e-mail, favorites and even write down a list of installed programs to a USB drive, or burn to a disc.

2) REMOVE the old drive completely.

3) INSERT the new drive. (If it's not recognized we'll address this later)

4) INSERT the Windows 7 DVD and begin installation.

5) INSTALL the drivers after Windows 7 completes.

DRIVERS:
It may get tricky. You need to go to DELL and locate the EXACT drivers for your model. Vista 32-bit should work hopefully if no Windows 7 32-bit drivers are available (I think not). However, it MAY be possible to get drivers from another source, such as getting the graphics drivers from AMD/NVidia but I can't guarantee. You'll just have to try.

Driver list:
I think these are the latest, correct drivers:
#1. The main motherboard chipset drive. This is critical.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ca/en/cadhs1/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&DriverId=R140623

After that, the order isn't too important. Some drivers downloaded from Microsoft or installed with Windows 7 might work just fine, possibly even this main chipset but it's hard to be sure.

Other:
- Video (sometimes laptops require their own version ONLY. I recommend using the OFFICIAL version, get everything running, then create an Image, then finally apply a newer Mobile version, if possible, and compare a benchmark of 3DMark2001se BEFORE and AFTER the new graphics driver. Read this carefully!)

- Ethernet driver (Windows version should work fine)
- keyboard driver?
- touchpad driver
- audio drivers

*If necessary, sometimes you can find the proper driver from the chips manufacture, such as the sound driver. I successfully found and installed a "Realtek HD 8809" driver for a computer that had no drivers link. It's pretty specific. You have to get the EXACT version of the chip and make sure the driver is for your Windows version (again, Windows 32-bit drivers should work).

SOFTWARE UTILITY:
Most software is not needed, however there might be some software specific to your laptop that makes sure certain keys work such as toggling the display, or controlling the VOLUME.

SUMMARY:

1. remove old hard drive
2. run MEMTEST to test System RAM ( www.memtest.org ) with no hard drives
3. install new hard drive
4. Install Windows 7
5. Install main chipset driver
6. install other drivers
7. install all MICROSOFT UPDATES (set to automatic)
8. create a BACKUP once things are working (i.e. Acronis True Image) to a separate hard drive (i.e. USB)
9. Install remaining software
10. Import all your backup data and settings
11. install the old hard drive?
12. Create a NEW backup. (NEVER delete this backup, but occasionally make new backups. Always keep this original backup in case issues appear later such as viruses that you don't notice until it's too late).
13. FORMAT your OLD drive (full format) and use it for backups or whatever. After formatting it, run diagnostics from the manufacturer to test this drive before using again.

*again, be careful with driver installation. Some Windows or Microsoft update versions might work fine.

Good luck.

KiddHollywood9

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
How am I suppose to install drivers when I cannot get the Windows 7 to complete the install process? Apparently the "used" hard drive I bought that I though was new has XP or Vista on it...You guys are loosing me...As of right now, I have the Hard Drive in, ...when I power the laptop on, the "Dell" logo loads and the loading bar at bottom, If I dont tap F-12 at boot, it goes to a blank screen with a cursor at the top left (after the Dell screen loads)...Thats it...Thats all I can do...I have to tap F-12 at boot just to get the options

"Internal HDD"
CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Onboard NIC

BIOS Setup
Diagnositics

Ive trying burning the "MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable CD 7.1" mentioned earlier...It is burned to a cd but when I put it in the laptop and go to CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive to run it, it spins and acts like it wants to run, but the screen stays blank with the cursor at top left...And I dont know how to "connect my hard drive to a desktop". I have a Dell desktop right next to it with W7 though...

KiddHollywood9

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Ive trying burning the "MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable CD 7.1" mentioned earlier...It is burned to a cd but when I put it in the laptop and go to CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive to run it, it spins and acts like it wants to run, but the screen stays blank with the cursor at top left...And I dont know how to "connect my hard drive to a desktop". I have a Dell desktop right next to it with W7 though...