Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading from XPS to Custom Build

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2013 7:11:59 PM

Hey there! This is my first post here, and I hope to be a worthy contributor to the community!

I have reached the capacity of my Dell XPS 8300 which I bought in Jan 2012. I had never built a custom PC from the ground up before, so I decided to go with the XPS as a good starting point to help me learn to customize (which I have). With custom RAM, GPU, and PSU, this thing is jam packed. As a web developer and an avid gamer, the XPS has served my needs perfectly thus far, however I have recently decided to build a server as a staging area for some of my Node and Ruby on Rails web apps.

At first I was going to build a cheap AMD system to set up a simple server, for a couple hundred bucks. Though after shopping, I feel better removing the upgraded parts I have used in my XPS, moving them into a new build, and use the stock XPS as my Linux server.

Like I said, I am new to building from the ground up, and have no experience overclocking - though I am very interested in learning :) 

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next two/three weeks
Budget Range: $500 - $600 before shipping
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Graphics and Video editing, Development
Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Midcase
Motherboard: MSI ZH77A-G43 LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W
PSU: LOGISYS Computer AT750BK 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
GPU: A second GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg / Tiger Direct / Amazon
Parts Preferences: Intel for future-proofing
Overclocking: Yes / Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Crossfire!
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

Nothing too particular, as this is my first custom build. The parts I am reusing from my XPS are:
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
(1) Gigabyte Radeon 6850 HD

I have about 1.5TBs of storage lying around in external enclosures, so I am not too worried about more storage, yet.

Is there anything missing from this set up? Would I do myself a great favor going for a better motherboard since I am interested in overclocking? Also, will this motherboard support two of my specific video cards? Would you, for any reason, tell me to stop what I am doing and go with a cheap AMD build for an enthusiast server?

Thank you kindly in advance for any assistance.

Best solution

January 29, 2013 7:47:02 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Akeg

Reuse your old cpu its still really good; You can overclock it and extra 400 mhz with turbo multipliers.
Added another 6850 for CFX
Added a high quality PSU because they one you chose sucks

Overall, It should be a great system.
January 29, 2013 7:50:41 PM

shellls45 said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Akeg

Reuse your old cpu its still really good; You can overclock it and extra 400 mhz with turbo multipliers.
Added another 6850 for CFX
Added a high quality PSU because they one you chose sucks

Overall, It should be a great system.

Thanks for the reply!

The only problem with reusing the old CPU is that I am trying to keep the XPS intact for server use. How else would you suggest I accomplish that on a budget? Maybe pick up an i3 to throw in the XPS?
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2013 8:06:49 PM

buy a celeron for $50 bucks to put in the XPS... what kind of server will it be??
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:12:05 PM

shellls45 said:
buy a celeron for $50 bucks to put in the XPS... what kind of server will it be??

Nothing too crazy. Just a Ubuntu Linux server with LAMP, Ruby, and Node.js installed. Mostly for development purposes, learning the ropes of the server side in and out since I have been a front-end guy for the last five years. And maybe hosting my personal website, too.

Also, godaddy c&*$-blocked me on my SSH for my premium dedicated hosting. I needed to upgrade to a commercial plan to get root (sudo) on their servers. I would prefer to tell them to piss off and just point my domain to my little home server :) 
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:18:12 PM

Well if you think the celeron will have enough power for your needs, it will work with the board.
m
l
January 29, 2013 10:01:45 PM

Best answer selected by stat30fbliss.
m
l
!