As the thread says, I got performance issues in metro 2033 with my GTX 660.

On high preset without MSAAx4 I only get around 30-40 fps. In the benchmarks of tomshardware the average FPS with GTX 660 is about 46 fps with MSAAx4 enabled on 1080p.

So what could cause this?

Specs

Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Nvidia GeForce GTX660 2GB GDDR5
Raidmax RX-700AC 80+ bronze certified
Intel Core i5-3570

Difficult to say, but maybe THG was benchmarking a different area or something? Maybe they selected an area with low map geometry. I guess you've already got the latest drivers? And you're definitely using the same settings?

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

For Metro 2033 they used the built in benchmark "Frontline". Then proceeded to a full game benchmark i believe.

In Tom's benchmark, they also used an i7-3960X on an ASRock X79 Extreme9 board. I can't remember how CPU dependent the game is. But throwing that in the mix, along with the fact a different model motherboard can add or subtract an average frame, as well as quality of the RAM. Honestly, I think your system is running fine, considering the fact between the differences in CPUs used.

Just make sure you're updated to the latest GeForce driver 306.97 WHQL. You could experiment with 310.70 BETA if you want (I always use beta's), but keep in mind you may experience issues, or a frame drop instead. I usually never have that issue though.

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
benchmarks that are conducted here often disable some of the features like physx and advanced DOF.These two combined can hamper your performance by as much as 15-20 fps.

Exactly! After some deeper research I found the problem. Nvidia doesn't recommend the advanced DoF, it's too heavy on most GPUs.

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Advanced DOF is also considered a menace by some gamers as they believe that some texture details gets compromised in metro 2033 or that witcher 2 made better implementation of DOF.Personally I don't hate it as in respect of immersion they have implemented the DOF in the way it should be in an apocalyptic and dark environments,my opinion.So its upto your taste whether you'll use it or not.

Without DoF I can even play it at the highest details with MSAA enabled and get around 50-60 fps. DoF was looking awesome, but I'm not going to spend a lot of Money getting a better GPU just for that.

The big problem with Metro's Advanced Depth of Field is that it uses DirectCompute to run it. The 600 series Nvidia cards have crippled GPU computing capabilities, so they get hit particularly hard with it enabled. The 7000 series Radeons fare a bit better with Advanced DoF, but still take a pretty big performance hit. Metro still can't be maxed out on a single GPU, even two years after the game launched. It truly is the new Crysis in terms of stressing GPUs.

Ah I see. Well that is just bad from THQ. Computing shouldn't be envolved too much in games.

GPU computing is likely to start integrating itself into games more as time goes on, especially if CPUs start to plateau in terms of performance. You already have GPU computing in games with the titles that support GPU accelerated PhysX.

This generation Nvidia decided they weren't making enough money on workstation cards, so they crippled the compute capabilities of the 600 series GeForce cards to try to change that. Only problem is, crippled computing capabilities may wind up coming back to bite them in the future if more games start using GPU computing features.

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
^But still the 600 series cards are faring great in physx heavy borderlands 2,global illumination as in far cry 3,bf3,etc.So its not a matter of concern currently and by the time those really really compute heavy games come out,we'll be having 700 series or may be the maxwell architecture also along with HD 8000 and 9000 series cards.

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

I wouldn't expect much of it to arrive though at all. The next generation consoles will likely be mid-level hardware and may struggle with such things depending on what they are equipped with. Because of that, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Although who knows, its all rumors--but now its more about making a cheap product and making as much as you can off of it, rather than quality.

Wish they would though. Means you're getting what you paid for after-all...which doesn't happen all too often today with PC gaming.

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
@10hellfire01
Agree its sad! but true...

@Lostgamer_03
One thing I also noticed in metro 2033 is antialiasing.I found that this game doesn't come with many jaggies,and when comparing between AAA setting and MSAA 4x specifically in metro 2033 there is no difference except some slight blur with msaa and because AAA did its job pretty well here,I didn't feel the need of testing the game with fxaa.Therefore I prefer you play with AAA and see whether this enables you to turn DOF On.