Sign in with
Your question

VPN between offices for voIP

Last response: in Networking
January 19, 2012 3:42:08 PM

I have been searching all morning looking for the best solution.

I have an Avaya IP office setup on a 1.5 mb T1 PRI at location 1. My second location is going to run IP phones over 15mb/1mb DSL connection. All calls will generate from the IP office at location 1. I will have 6-8 IP phones at location 2.

I assume i need a VPN setup between the two office for the IP phones to work. I've been looking for the best VPN solution and it appears for a budget the Netgear FVS318 or FVS338 is the way to go. If I go that route do I just need a FVS338 or FVS318 at both locations? Is there a better solution? We are a small business and we aren't going to have a budget of more than $400 for both pieces. Cheaper the better.

Is Ipcop a solution for a VPN setup like this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

More about : vpn offices voip

January 19, 2012 8:04:08 PM

I've also been looking at the Cisco RV042 for the VPN access. As I mentioned about I imagine I just need one at each location. Do I need software licenses on top of that?
m
l
January 20, 2012 3:16:55 PM

Although I'm not very familiar with VOIP, I am very familiar with VPN. I would say that your would not be able to get enough speed to make a VOIP solution over VPN. Do you have a PBX or do the phone just operate independently. If independently you will not need a VPN as the phones just need internet access.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2012 4:12:42 PM

The PBX is located at location 1 with the T1/PRI. Location #2 will have the IP phones that connect to the PBX at location #1.
m
l
January 20, 2012 5:15:46 PM

As VOIP is a streaming connection that requires a fast and very stable connection, I'm not sure that a VPN is going to be good for this solution as it has a very high overhead for encryption.
If you want to try, I would recommend watchguard products, they make it pretty easy to setup an office to office VPN (Branch office VPN). You will need 2 devices, more something like XTM 21 or 22
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:09:27 PM

I would suggest you that you should use like watchgarud services, you will easily success a setup an office to office vpn i.e branch office vpn or office to office vpn. one more option can be cisco RV042 for the VPN access, please remember you should focus on <A HREF="www.bestvpnconnection.com">best vpn service</A> so that you can avoid any problem while smooth working.
m
l
January 28, 2012 7:48:46 AM

groundedchevy said:
I have been searching all morning looking for the best solution.

I have an Avaya IP office setup on a 1.5 mb T1 PRI at location 1. My second location is going to run IP phones over 15mb/1mb DSL connection. All calls will generate from the IP office at location 1. I will have 6-8 IP phones at location 2.

I assume i need a VPN setup between the two office for the IP phones to work. I've been looking for the best VPN solution and it appears for a budget the Netgear FVS318 or FVS338 is the way to go. If I go that route do I just need a FVS338 or FVS318 at both locations? Is there a better solution? We are a small business and we aren't going to have a budget of more than $400 for both pieces. Cheaper the better.

Is Ipcop a solution for a VPN setup like this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think you need the assistance of VoIP Service Provider.They will sure give you feasible solution. I also taken help a no of time. Because now a days there is a big role of VoIP Service Providers in communication industries.

Avaya VoIP
m
l
January 30, 2012 1:41:05 PM

Hi - this is pretty easy to answer - we do loads of AVAYA IP Offices with remote sites running small numbers of IP phones. We always use Draytek Vigor routers as they are modestly priced, easy to configure and reliable. One important thing - You really must use dedicated broadband connections (used only for this voice application) - anything else and you will be disappointed. So to be clear you must have a dedicated broadband at each site - get a Be There connection if available on each exchange - if you want any more advice, get in touch.

We have been AVAYA partners since 1996 so we know what we are doing (many do not!).

Nick

www.firstoffice.co.uk
m
l
February 7, 2012 1:31:03 PM

brandinio said:
Hi - this is pretty easy to answer - we do loads of AVAYA IP Offices with remote sites running small numbers of IP phones. We always use Draytek Vigor routers as they are modestly priced, easy to configure and reliable. One important thing - You really must use dedicated broadband connections (used only for this voice application) - anything else and you will be disappointed. So to be clear you must have a dedicated broadband at each site - get a Be There connection if available on each exchange - if you want any more advice, get in touch.

We have been AVAYA partners since 1996 so we know what we are doing (many do not!).

Nick

www.firstoffice.co.uk

Is there a certain model of Draytek Vigor router that you recommend for this setup? I have a dedicated 15mb/1mb DSL circuit for the phones only. The only thing I'm a little confused on is the receptionist console. If I have a connection for internet and phone how do I get the receptionist computer to use the internet connection and not the phone connection?
m
l
February 7, 2012 1:59:33 PM

Hi - Draytek Vgor 2820's are what we have been using although the 2830 is out now. Is the Reception Console at site 1?
m
l
February 7, 2012 2:17:59 PM

We are going to have a receptionist console at each location. Both receptionist console will be on a Windows 7 machine with 2 NIC. One NIC is wired (Phone Network), and the other is wireless (Normal internet traffic and printers). I'm a little confused how I force the wired NIC for the Avaya software only, and the wireless NIC for internet traffice only.
m
l
February 7, 2012 2:25:50 PM

The Reception Console is not an IP soft phone - as far as I am aware, you will need a proper phone for the audio. You then associate the console with the phone. As to how the phone accesses the outside world, that is done in the ARS i believe although I am in sales, not technical. Can you not ask who you bought it from to help you - where are you based?
m
l
!