Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I get Ethernet to Work on my pc?

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2013 8:38:34 PM

hi all, i built myself a pc and tried to stick in my ethernet cable... but it won't work! by won't work my pc will not detect it! i am a noob at this and and am kind of new, can somoen help me? please ask if you need more information. :) 

More about : ethernet work

January 29, 2013 8:39:49 PM

install the drivers

what kind of motherboard do you have?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2013 8:40:37 PM

OWNHAY said:
hi all, i built myself a pc and tried to stick in my ethernet cable... but it won't work! by won't work my pc will not detect it! i am a noob at this and and am kind of new, can somoen help me? please ask if you need more information. :) 

hey own....look in your mb box there should be a driver cd. install the mb chipset driver first then reboot. then on the cd install the audio and network drivers. you may have to reboot again for the realtek drivers to install.
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2013 8:42:53 PM

The motherboard i have is an Asus Maximus V Extreme... i already updated the chipset and installed some intel network driver thing but it still won't recognize.. i got the software from asus.
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:45:59 PM

I'm running windows 7 professional N 64 bit ;) 
m
l

Best solution

January 29, 2013 8:47:53 PM

go here

http://www.asus.com/ROG/MAXIMUS_V_EXTREME/#support_Down...

under "Lan" download both the intel and gigabit downloads, run them on that machine

use a usb stick, external hard drive, or burn them to a dvd
January 29, 2013 8:49:21 PM

forgive me for dumb question, is the device on the other end of the cable turned on/connected?
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:51:25 PM

ok it's downloading, it should be done in a few minutes. should i test it after installing the drivers?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2013 8:52:02 PM

cable moden/router...yes...
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:52:44 PM

boju said:
forgive me for dumb question, is the device on the other end of the cable turned on/connected?

yes it is haha :pt1cable:  it has the blinking lights and such :p 
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:53:16 PM

i assume his modem/router is working as he is here asking the question =P
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:57:09 PM

LOL that's fine, just checking - could be another connected hub or cable not inserted. Never mind! :) 

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2013 8:57:27 PM

Based on this download page, which LAN Driver version did you install? Nevermind. Too slow in my response. That's what I get for watching Jeopardy.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:58:26 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Based on this download page, which LAN Driver version did you install?

-Wolf sends

under LAN, i got the last two.
EDIT: wait.. why did i get two? they're the same thing lol

btw.. what do i do when i get the zip? lol
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:59:10 PM

open the zip, and put everything inside it into a folder
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:00:10 PM

neon neophyte said:
open the zip, and put everything inside it into a folder

already done, i have it extracted to a folder.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2013 9:01:04 PM

Ok. Assuming Version 17.2.0.0, you should open the ZIP file (windows explorer), find the setup program (setup.exe) and execute that file. That *should* resolve your immediate issues.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:01:27 PM

put it on a flash drive or something, plug it into the computer that needs it. there should be a file called setup or something.

if not you have to go into your devices in the control panel, find the ethernet listing and right click on it and go to update drivers. then direct it to that folder.
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:02:55 PM

ok, thanks. forgot to mention that this computer i am using now is the same computer that i need ethernet to work on lol (because i have a wireless card it's just horrible from this distance)
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:04:02 PM

oh, well that saves you using a usb stick. ;p
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:05:00 PM

oh, thanks for clearing that up for me at least :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2013 9:07:03 PM

Ok. If you're currently using your wireless connection, is the LAN connection enabled under Network Connections?

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:08:31 PM

it says there's a problem because it says "device driver was not successfully installed" because of "no driver found"
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:09:24 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Ok. If you're currently using your wireless connection, is the LAN connection enabled under Network Connections?

-Wolf sends

um.. actually, there isn't an enable button. just a disable.. but when i disable it says enable so i guess its on..
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:12:36 PM

have you tried disabling wireless now?
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:15:14 PM

boju said:
have you tried disabling wireless now?

no, i haven't yet. i'm still installing the intel thingy lol
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:19:40 PM

ok, i figured out what's going on.. i think... i installed the drivers, but the little ballon on the bottom right said it tried to install driver software (like it says when you stick in a usb drive) and it failed the first time.. but i dont know how to get it to install again now that i have my drivers installed... should i reboot?
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:21:02 PM

try what these guys are saying, problem could be that your wireless is using your assigned ip kinda thing.

i didnt realize you were on the computer that the ethernet wasnt working on, with wireless. so what they are saying might work
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:29:59 PM

neon neophyte said:
try what these guys are saying, problem could be that your wireless is using your assigned ip kinda thing.

i didnt realize you were on the computer that the ethernet wasnt working on, with wireless. so what they are saying might work

ok, thanks everybody that helped! it's working now but i think the connection is even worse then the wireless LOL. oh well i'll have to try it out. thanks again!
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:30:25 PM

Best answer selected by OWNHAY.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2013 5:54:09 AM

own look under add/remove programs look for intel when you install there intel driver package it puts a safe networking program onto the system that slows the system down. if you use msconfig and turn the intel safe software off your net speeds will be fine.
m
l
!