Sign in with
Your question

Dead computer issue

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2013 8:50:59 PM

Hello everyone.

My homebuilt PC recently died and I'm in doubt as to what the problem is so any help you guys can give me would be great. I'm usually pretty good when it comes to pinpointing an issue and figuring out what needs to be replaced (if anything) but this time I'm stumped.

I was working away the other day and the machine just quit - like it completely lost power. I initially thought it was a power outage but immediately noticed my audio system and monitor were still powered on. Upon opening the machine and inspecting it I didn't smell anything out of the ordinary and couldn't identify any burnt components. I strongly suspect the power supply gave out but the mobo light is on indicating power is being sent to it.

I removed the power supply and carried out the paper clip test with the green wire and a case fan and got nothing so that kinda supports my suspicions but the fact the mobo light is lit up when I re-install the psu is bugging the hell out of me. There's no indication of burnt out components inside the psu either - no unusual odors and no visual signs of anything out of the ordinary either.

I took everything completely apart and removed the mobo to check it. I tried restarting with individual sticks of ram to check if it was some sort of ram issue. Nothing I've done has produced any indication as to what the problem is - except that the paper-clip test didn't work.

So, I'm almost sure it's the supply - also because there's no POST activity whatsoever but again - the mobo light being lit up is nagging me.

Any thoughts on this? Is it possible that the psu has blown a component that prevents power being sent somewhere vital but which still allows power to be sent to the mobo light? I'd like to have some assurance before I go and buy a new psu only to find that I still have this problem and that it wasn't he psu after all. I've been building my own PC's for more than 10 years now and this is the first time I've ever been stumped like this. Any and all help/opinions very much appreciated. Thanks folks.

More about : dead computer issue

a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2013 9:05:38 PM

It's quite probably that your power supply has failed. Even a failed power supply can deploy an electric current to the motherboard that allows the LED to light, but none to your CPU.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 29, 2013 11:26:06 PM

Thanks Wolf. I know it might sound silly but it's good to hear that. I'm not so much of a hardware buff that I know anything much about the internal workings of electronics.
m
l
!