Sign in with
Your question

Choppy horizontal lines

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2012 8:00:47 PM

So I just picked up a new XFX 7970 card about two weeks ago and hooked it up to my two monitors (Acer X233H, G235H). I've been noticing some weird horizontal lines across both screens. It's like part of the screen is wanting to move down... I can see this most notably when the taskbar moves slightly off screen.

I've updated to the latest drivers and turned all overclocking settings off, but it's still doing it. Mostly when I have a window open like Firefox. Anyways, the lines are going all the way across both screens at the same time. My initial search turned up that it could be something to do with the refresh rates, but they both seem to be set at 60Hz under their respective properties windows and on the monitors themselves. The AMD Vision engine control... whatever CCC is called these days... says that they're reporting a max of 75Hz... could this be affecting my problem?

Thanks,
Shawn
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 8:27:43 PM

When i upgraded mine to a gtx 670 i started noticing some weird wave lines when i was playing and i as well tho it was the refresh rate, but turned out to be the cable i was using, i replaced it and that fixed it. Also i read it can be caused due to electromagnetic interference by some other electronics being close to the monitor like a sub-woofer.
m
l
December 14, 2012 9:47:04 PM

Dnx said:
When i upgraded mine to a gtx 670 i started noticing some weird wave lines when i was playing and i as well tho it was the refresh rate, but turned out to be the cable i was using, i replaced it and that fixed it. Also i read it can be caused due to electromagnetic interference by some other electronics being close to the monitor like a sub-woofer.

That could be it. I'm assuming that it's probably not the cable since both monitors are doing it at the same rate and time. Anyways, I like the interference angle. There is a sub-woofer by the back IO panel... and they MAY be running over a home server MINI-ITX serverboard... that's not in a case. Lol. Maybe some cable rerouting in my future. Lol.

It's odd though because it doesn't happen in games when you would think... I mean that's even when the sub-woofer is loudest. Could it be the increased clock speed during the game that prevents this? IDK. I'm stretching for ideas at this point. : P
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2013 10:52:30 PM

Brisa117 I'm having the same issue, and i have the same GPU, did you ever figure out the problem?
m
l
February 10, 2013 11:13:24 PM

Otton831 said:
Brisa117 I'm having the same issue, and i have the same GPU, did you ever figure out the problem?

Hey Otton831,

It turned out to be a loose cable. I felt like such an idiot when that fixed the problem. Lol. Anyways, it was where I hadn't screwed in my DVI cable and for some reason, it was messing up both signals... IDK the specifics, but that fixed it. I was even ruling that out because it seemed so simple and I didn't think that one loose cable would affect both monitors... But it did.

Hope that helps man!
m
l
!